Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What do the kiwis think.......

What do the kiwis think.......

Old Feb 1st 2008, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all
Default What do the kiwis think.......

.......of all the immigrants in their country. Do they care? Do they see that nz needs more skilled people? (apparently!!!) Do they see immigrants as a threat to their own future?

There is quite alot of resentment here in the uk about immigrants and possibly the fear of competition in their workplace, people like moaning about anything they can!!

In my home town of Cheltenham, it is noticable that there are lots of 'foreigners' around and it does bring resentment by some.

Personally I don't have a problem with people trying to improve and just change how and where they live.

What do you think?

Cheers Jads
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do the kiwis think.......

Originally Posted by jads
.......of all the immigrants in their country. Do they care? Do they see that nz needs more skilled people? (apparently!!!) Do they see immigrants as a threat to their own future?

There is quite alot of resentment here in the uk about immigrants and possibly the fear of competition in their workplace, people like moaning about anything they can!!

In my home town of Cheltenham, it is noticable that there are lots of 'foreigners' around and it does bring resentment by some.

Personally I don't have a problem with people trying to improve and just change how and where they live.

What do you think?

Cheers Jads
I was wondering that too.
Do they like us brits??
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:24 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

There are probably less British immigrants in New Zealand now than at any time over the last hundred and fifty years
Old Feb 1st 2008, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ned
There are probably less British immigrants in New Zealand now than at any time over the last hundred and fifty years
I used to live in Wellington but moved to Melbourne, anyway i work as a nurse and this racist crature of a patient i was looking after in Melbourne said "there are enough of the *****ing pommie B*astards in New Zealand we dont need anymore" The guy was a Samoan living in Melbourne. He didnt like it when i said that we are the same, both immigrants. He claimed the whole of the pacific was his home.

I used to get sick of all the questions i used to get asked, "what do you think of new zealand", "why did you come here"
Old Feb 1st 2008, 5:20 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sugo
I used to live in Wellington but moved to Melbourne, anyway i work as a nurse and this racist crature of a patient i was looking after in Melbourne said "there are enough of the *****ing pommie B*astards in New Zealand we dont need anymore" The guy was a Samoan living in Melbourne. He didnt like it when i said that we are the same, both immigrants. He claimed the whole of the pacific was his home.

I used to get sick of all the questions i used to get asked, "what do you think of new zealand", "why did you come here"
Yeah, It seems to be a standard Kiwi question- why New Zealand ?

My response - Cheap housing & great salaries !

Probably the Kiwis will think about the response for three days and consider that it could be humour
Old Feb 1st 2008, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I think the majority of kiwis have roots in UK so welcome more UK migrants; I think that UK/european/SA migrants are also seen as generally fitting in to society here and making a contribution. There is probably more antagonism towards those migrants that can't/wont speak English or who are perceived to be here only to get the benefits
Old Feb 1st 2008, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

I think some are genuinely bemused as to why we would move here, as a lot of kiwi's would happily move to aussie or the UK or somewhere at the drop of a hat if they could, well some of the one's I've met anyway!

Most have been friendly and genuinely interested in why you chose their home instead of anywhere else in the world, and all have been very welcoming and show a bit of interest in my home aswell...

Maybe I'm just lucky in the ones I've met, there are a lot of ex-pats at work so that helps I think
Old Feb 1st 2008, 7:05 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14
I think some are genuinely bemused as to why we would move here, as a lot of kiwi's would happily move to aussie or the UK or somewhere at the drop of a hat if they could, well some of the one's I've met anyway!

Most have been friendly and genuinely interested in why you chose their home instead of anywhere else in the world, and all have been very welcoming and show a bit of interest in my home aswell...

Maybe I'm just lucky in the ones I've met, there are a lot of ex-pats at work so that helps I think
I was the only European in our office until last week when a woman from Cornwall started. There are three Aussies and I do think they represent that age old adage - it's always the good ones who leave They're just lovely.

Friendly and interested is the description I'd use too - if you take umbrage because someone is interested in you well ...... it's a bit sad really. Almost all my friends are Kiwi and I've had one bad experience since I've been here. A friend of a friend who is of UK extraction didn't exactly have a lot of love for the Irish She chose the wrong person to have a go at ******' typical - she's never been ANYWHERE and all is she knows is what she's been told. More to be pitied than laughed at I suppose and MY friend is no longer HER friend But you'll get that anywhere (and I have).
Old Feb 1st 2008, 8:52 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

First I think its hard to generalise about a whole nation of 'kiwis' since that term covers a number of different types and groups of people - white, maori, pacific islander, NZ born and bred, overseas born and given citizenship, NZ born but with time spent living abroad. Each with their own ideas on immigrants in their country.

I think most of their attitude depends on how well you "blend in" to the community you live in.

Attitude towards immigrants can depend on so many things, but a lot seem to think we're cashed up pommes and aren't sure exactly why we've chosen to live in their country.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
I think the majority of kiwis have roots in UK so welcome more UK migrants; I think that UK/european/SA migrants are also seen as generally fitting in to society here and making a contribution. There is probably more antagonism towards those migrants that can't/wont speak English or who are perceived to be here only to get the benefits
Yeah, there's prolly truth in that....
Old Feb 1st 2008, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Nerine
First I think its hard to generalise about a whole nation of 'kiwis' since that term covers a number of different types and groups of people - white, maori, pacific islander, NZ born and bred, overseas born and given citizenship, NZ born but with time spent living abroad. Each with their own ideas on immigrants in their country.

I think most of their attitude depends on how well you "blend in" to the community you live in.

Good points.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 10:53 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

I've had one almost heated debate re. this late at night with an angry drunk twenty odd year old.
Once I'd argued the point that NZ is a land where everyone is of migrant stock, and outlined our reasons for coming, he calmed down.
Once he learned we are not cashed up Poms, but both working, he friended right up.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Well, working in IT they love us, as there isn't enough Kiwi IT bods to do all the jobs...
Old Feb 1st 2008, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
I've had one almost heated debate re. this late at night with an angry drunk twenty odd year old.
Once I'd argued the point that NZ is a land where everyone is of migrant stock, and outlined our reasons for coming, he calmed down.
Once he learned we are not cashed up Poms, but both working, he friended right up.

You know, that's prolly revealing of an undertone of resentment towards the perceived notion that immigrants come in with tons of cash and push up house prices thus squeezing out the locals. They've been bemoaning about how foreigners keep buying up prime land. I think there could be some envy and frustration about immigrants coming in and being able buy a house, pushing up demand, and making it more difficult for locals. Of course that's only a perception and not true in every case but there is some truth in it.

We had a similar experience when we went on a recce to canada. We wanted to converse with as many locals as we could to get a feel for what was going on there and understand attitudes towards migrants. Most I spoke to were quite blunt and honest about how "fed-up" they were with the perceived immigration = house prices rising because of it....We visited a few real estate agents too, and one in a small town was decidedly hostile, thinking we were rich Brits coming in from England pockets laden down with sterling pounds to buy up the whole town, lol. We quickly put his mind at rest that we weren't in that category and were instead coming from the potentially unfavourable exchange rated NZ, but it was easy to sense that there is a certain "perception" and I think it may be universal.

Last edited by Elizabeth I; Feb 1st 2008 at 11:25 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14

same here. there are a lot of ex-pats at my work too.

40% British
20% German
39% Kiwi
1% only _Two_ Asians (a Fijian and ?)

eh? Is this a British government department ...? or a NZ government department?

What does that tell you?

so (No Doubt) New Zealand is still a British Colony, yay?

I often feel this is Not New Zealand Ministry of RS+t

In general, Kiwis seem to get along with other people (Brits and German) so well. Hate to say it, but! (certainly) there are some people have an unconcious collective prejudice against ~ ?

Last edited by crap coffee; Feb 2nd 2008 at 1:06 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.