British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   What do I do now! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-do-i-do-now-373604/)

Woodlea May 15th 2006 11:51 am

What do I do now!

My wife gave the nod today!! She's said yes to emigration.
Which gave me a panic attack - it was all very well dreaming about it and planning for it but now it looks like I'll have to do it for real - nightmare!
I have fancied leaving the UK since I worked for 10 months out of Perth, Oz, in 2002 but Mrs Woodlea was never keen on Oz. Then a couple of years ago she said she fancied NZ so I had a look into it, got the points etc, and the permits and then went for a recce over Easter this year and we all loved it and she finally said YES today! But its a bit different to ACTUALLY emigrate!

Batty May 15th 2006 12:00 pm

Re: What do I do now!

Originally Posted by Woodlea
My wife gave the nod today!! She's said yes to emigration.
Which gave me a panic attack - it was all very well dreaming about it and planning for it but now it looks like I'll have to do it for real - nightmare!
I have fancied leaving the UK since I worked for 10 months out of Perth, Oz, in 2002 but Mrs Woodlea was never keen on Oz. Then a couple of years ago she said she fancied NZ so I had a look into it, got the points etc, and the permits and then went for a recce over Easter this year and we all loved it and she finally said YES today! But its a bit different to ACTUALLY emigrate!

Oh yes it is. What do you do? Have you decided on a location?

Woodlea May 15th 2006 12:16 pm

Somewhere close to Rangiora (within 10k), just north of Chch.

sky May 15th 2006 12:49 pm

Oh well you'll be ok, stop worrying it's easy getting here, it's just the settling in and making friends that's traumatic. Come see us we are very normal ... honest :p
We love Rangiora and at the mo are in Ashley but are on the move again, only in the area though so when you land get in touch :)

Woodlea May 15th 2006 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Batty
Oh yes it is. What do you do? Have you decided on a location?

I'm an offshore surveyor - so my home is just my base really. I regularly work with Kiwis around the world and when the jobs done they go back to sunny NZ and I go back the icy Scotland! Always been jealous.

Woodlea May 15th 2006 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by sky
Oh well you'll be ok, stop worrying it's easy getting here, it's just the settling in and making friends that's traumatic. Come see us we are very normal ... honest :p
We love Rangiora and at the mo are in Ashley but are on the move again, only in the area though so when you land get in touch :)

Thanks Sky,
That means a lot. BobK has given me a few tips too - he's moving to Rangiora this week I think.
Bob.