British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   what to do with a day in Wellington? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-do-day-wellington-844603/)

BEVS Oct 7th 2014 1:31 am

what to do with a day in Wellington?

OK. So we're still looking for something different to see/do for a spare full day in Wellington. We'll have no transport but there are buses and trains of course.

Not the usual Welly stuff. We've seen and done all that too many times now. No desire to repeat any of it again. Also done enough bush walks to last a lifetime .

Anyone with any ideas?

escapedtonz Oct 7th 2014 2:22 am

Re: what to do with a day in Wellington?

Days Bay ferry to Matiu / Somes Island then on to Days Bay for a meal at Cobar then ferry back to Wellington Waterfront. The ferry goes from the Meridian building on the Waterfront ?
Suppose you've done the cable car, observatory, walk back down through the botanic gardens, lunch at Lady Norwood Rose Garden then walk back through the cemetery back to Lambton Quay ?

BEVS Oct 7th 2014 2:52 am

Originally Posted by escapedtonz (Post 11430292)
Suppose you've done the cable car, observatory, walk back down through the botanic gardens, lunch at Lady Norwood Rose Garden then walk back through the cemetery back to Lambton Quay ?

Yup.

Stormer999 Oct 7th 2014 3:06 am

101 things to do in Wellington - New Zealand

BEVS Oct 7th 2014 3:15 am

Yup.

Most of which we can do here or have done there.

Bit repetitive innit.

Husband is quite interested in having a pint & maybe a bite to eat in the Backbenchers pub. early evening. It's the puppets. :lol:

Stormer999 Oct 7th 2014 3:35 am

20 different tap beers....sounds OK where I come from...couple of hours in there and down to the beach to fly a kite....or as high as...;)

BEVS Oct 7th 2014 4:00 am

Am now thinking train out to Mount Bruce and then repair to that Backbencher pub followed by seafront stroll back to where we are stopping.

nzneville Oct 7th 2014 4:15 am

Train does not go to Mount Bruce. It stops at Masterton, and it is about 20 - 25 minute drive from there to Mount Bruce.

BEVS Oct 7th 2014 4:34 am

Originally Posted by nzneville (Post 11430348)
Train does not go to Mount Bruce. It stops at Masterton, and it is about 20 - 25 minute drive from there to Mount Bruce.

Their website suggests we can get a taxi the rest of the way.

nzneville Oct 7th 2014 4:45 am

Do you want an expensive day out? The taxi will cost a New Zealand fortune. Will the driver wait for you while you wander around, or will he/she want two round trips?

nzneville Oct 7th 2014 4:46 am

Have you been to Martinborough? It is a good day out, train to Featherston, bus to Martinborough and wander around a couple of vineyards, taste the grape jice and have a nice meal at Medici, highly recommended and owned by my good friend and brother, Nick.

BEVS Oct 7th 2014 6:29 am

Originally Posted by nzneville (Post 11430360)
Do you want an expensive day out? The taxi will cost a New Zealand fortune. Will the driver wait for you while you wander around, or will he/she want two round trips?

I dunno. I have investigated. I do concur with your thoughts though.

have a nice meal at Medici
Actually , that does look pretty fine.

MOSO Oct 8th 2014 5:00 am

Weta workshop tour? Never been myself though! What's on at the theatre? Is the Sound of Music on still? What about a film at the Embassy? It's a stylish cinema, nice café too. You could get a 4 wheel drive tour to the seal colony at red rocks (or walk as it's cheaper!).

I think there are tours to Kapiti Island (helicopter or boat depending on budget). It's a steep walk with plenty of wildlife and superb views from the top, but not suitable if you're not fit. The public boat leaves Paraparaumu around 7.30am.

Hazelnut Oct 8th 2014 2:29 pm

We did a Weta workshop tour and loved it. I'm a scifi and LotR geek though and MrH is a technology buff so I'm not sure it would be fun if you weren't into either of those.

I also like people watching and meditating so had fun drinking good coffee and watching the world go by on the harbour side.

msmyrtle Oct 10th 2014 3:08 am

Tour of Red Rocks (are the seals there this time of year?)

Movie at the Embassy

Hike up Mt. Vic and look around the city

Te Papa and a walk along the waterfront, drinks at one of the brewery-pubs along the way