Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What do the blood tests actually check?

What do the blood tests actually check?

Old Sep 13th 2007, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default What do the blood tests actually check?

For any of you who chat to me, the you will know I do like a drink now and then

How long before the meds should I stop if I have too that is.

And what else do they test for.........this question is for a friend who smokes who is about to embark on the med route and is now panicking.

Nici
Old Sep 13th 2007, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

sandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to all
Default Re: What do the blood tests actually check?

Originally Posted by kato33

And what else do they test for.........this question is for a friend who smokes who is about to embark on the med route and is now panicking.

Nici
Hi
Myself and OH smoke and all the Dr said was to cut down. The blood test as far as I know is for HIV.

Sandra
Old Sep 13th 2007, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Nici
I seem to remember :liver function is on the meds. We drank a bit over new yr then stopped and had our tests 4th Jan. I failed mine due to having had my gall bladder removed 2 weeks earlier which had affected liver! But after much serious watching of diet all the tests were normal (liver function and cholesterol) 1st march.
If you drink heavily you might need to consider laying off the booze for a month to allow the liver to recover?
Old Sep 13th 2007, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sandav
Hi
Myself and OH smoke and all the Dr said was to cut down. The blood test as far as I know is for HIV.

Sandra
Oops.....sorry, I meant SMOKE as in NOT cigarettes, if you get my meaning.

And as far as I know I don't have HIV so I should be ok then. hehehe

Nici
Old Sep 13th 2007, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Alifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really niceAlifox is just really nice

Hey Kato, as far as the alcohol intake is concerned, I dont think that it makes a significant difference whether you cut down for a few weeks or stop completely. Obviously it would be best to cut down as much as possible if you are worried The liver is a resilient thing- I suppose it depends on what your normal intake is Mine was ok, but then I hardly drink- honest! My Hubby had normal liver function tests, apart from one (Alanine levels)which were raised. Could indicate a fatty liver- apparently it can take months for the liver to revert back to normal, whatever to do, so that is time we havent got if I want to start work when I'm due to

They also check for all the "routine" things- full blood count, which generally checks that you are healthy; also HIV check. Can't remember the other ones, as we had to have fasting cholesterol and Glucose tests, as we are "generously proportioned"!

Good Luck- have you got a date for the meds yet?
Old Sep 13th 2007, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by helinuk
I seem to remember :liver function is on the meds. We drank a bit over new yr then stopped and had our tests 4th Jan. I failed mine due to having had my gall bladder removed 2 weeks earlier which had affected liver! But after much serious watching of diet all the tests were normal (liver function and cholesterol) 1st march.
If you drink heavily you might need to consider laying off the booze for a month to allow the liver to recover?
Well best I lay off the drink for at least 2 months then.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alifox
Hey Kato, as far as the alcohol intake is concerned, I dont think that it makes a significant difference whether you cut down for a few weeks or stop completely. Obviously it would be best to cut down as much as possible if you are worried The liver is a resilient thing- I suppose it depends on what your normal intake is Mine was ok, but then I hardly drink- honest! My Hubby had normal liver function tests, apart from one (Alanine levels)which were raised. Could indicate a fatty liver- apparently it can take months for the liver to revert back to normal, whatever to do, so that is time we havent got if I want to start work when I'm due to

They also check for all the "routine" things- full blood count, which generally checks that you are healthy; also HIV check. Can't remember the other ones, as we had to have fasting cholesterol and Glucose tests, as we are "generously proportioned"!

Good Luck- have you got a date for the meds yet?
No dates as of yet. Waiting for the house sale to go through for the funds. With 6 of us its working out expensive.

I may go to the dr's and ask them to do a test just in case because I did not realise it took months to clear the system.

Cheers for the help.

Nici
Old Sep 13th 2007, 8:09 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

You should take 'Milk Thistle' tablets if you need to repair liver damage.
2 months off the booze and taking 'Milk Thistle' every day should see you ok.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 8:09 pm
life finally begins in NZ

sarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the roughsarahlou2411 is a jewel in the rough
Red face Re: What do the blood tests actually check?

My hubby failed the liver function test first time. Doc said it was likely to be fatty food he had eaten the week before. Lay off the curries and anything with a high fat content ie pies etc... there are about 12 enzymes they check so Alcohol is only a part of it.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

this is what they test for:-

Standard tests Results
HIV
Hepatitis B antigen
Syphilis
Liver Function Test
Full Blood Count
Serum Creatinine

Discretionary tests
Hepatitis C
Fasting lipids
Fasting glucose
HBA1c
Creatinine/MicroAlbumin
Old Sep 13th 2007, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mickey_d
this is what they test for:-

Standard tests Results
HIV
Hepatitis B antigen
Syphilis
Liver Function Test
Full Blood Count
Serum Creatinine

Discretionary tests
Hepatitis C
Fasting lipids
Fasting glucose
HBA1c
Creatinine/MicroAlbumin
yeh was just about to say that
Old Sep 13th 2007, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Nici
Can't believe you wanted to share that with everyone.....
Old Sep 13th 2007, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Nici
Detection Period
3 days to 1 month
Old Sep 13th 2007, 10:28 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

And as far as I know I don't have HIV so I should be ok then. hehehe

Nici
Just so you know its not just the medical to get in. Drug testing before employment is routine for some jobs/companies, as is random drug testing, especially for jobs such as truck driving, manual work etc.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Mickey D's post is accurate. I know my liver function was slightly out,so I cut my drinking right down,and for 5 weeks up to medical,I drank between 3-5 litres of water a day. This was as per instruction from a number of consultants in our hospital!
This was enough to scrape me in,I managed to sneak my cholesterol,bilirubin and most of my liver function results back within normal limits. If they do check for residual drug levels,they certainly don't tell you,and you don't pay for it.And I wasn't pulled up! So see you here soon eh?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.