British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   What to do ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-do-647234/)

innova Jan 3rd 2010 8:04 pm

What to do ?

Hi all
I am 43,single and no ties,anymore,solvent and just about had enough of the UK. I've worked as a compressed air engineer for 18 years,needed a change so fell back on my class one HGV. Was doing continental fridge work,thoroughly enjoyed it but this went quiet and was transfered to UK. This drove me nuts so i left. We used to collect Kiwi fruit from Zeebrugge which got me thinking,all that fruit has to get to the boat in NZ. I started looking around at forums etc,attended a seminar in London but this was geared to family relocations. Basically i am looking for advise on jobs either trucking or the compressed air industry,should i look at the North or South island,been thinking about a trip out to see whats about. Not sure about PR,i do know you can't get that as a truck driver,TR only according to the seminar.
The more i look at forums the more undecided/unsure of what to do or how to do it,so basically i'm looking for some straight forward,straight talking advise please.

Genesis Jan 3rd 2010 8:15 pm

Re: What to do ?

Originally Posted by innova (Post 8215687)
Hi all
I am 43,single and no ties,anymore,solvent and just about had enough of the UK. I've worked as a compressed air engineer for 18 years,needed a change so fell back on my class one HGV. Was doing continental fridge work,thoroughly enjoyed it but this went quiet and was transfered to UK. This drove me nuts so i left. We used to collect Kiwi fruit from Zeebrugge which got me thinking,all that fruit has to get to the boat in NZ. I started looking around at forums etc,attended a seminar in London but this was geared to family relocations. Basically i am looking for advise on jobs either trucking or the compressed air industry,should i look at the North or South island,been thinking about a trip out to see whats about. Not sure about PR,i do know you can't get that as a truck driver,TR only according to the seminar.
The more i look at forums the more undecide/unsure of what to do or how to do it,so basically i'm looking for some straight forward,straight talking advise please.

Hi. Go to www.NZIS.govt.nz You will learn there if your air exp. will stand you in good stead for skills shortage. If it is not you can still come over and find your self a job. All the accredited employer has to prove is that they could not find a kiwi national to do the job and its yours. Look at all the kiwi job sites...there are loads of them all with specified areas of work. Good luck.

innova Jan 3rd 2010 8:54 pm

Re: What to do ?

Thanks for that,will take a look. Despite the years worked in compressed air there aren't any reconised quilifications in the industry which may go against me i think