Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What did you feel right before you emigrated?

What did you feel right before you emigrated?

Old Jan 5th 2015, 7:38 pm
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What did you feel right before you emigrated?

Honestly I felt like I was going to my death lol. People were acting like I was dying. It was horrible. It hasn't been horrible leaving everyone and my heart aces everyday some days are worse than others.
I am happy here and believe I have done the right thing
Old Jan 5th 2015, 7:39 pm
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I had to put my v old dog down . Vets said he wouldnt survive he flight and with all his lumps they wouldn't let him in anyway. He said he was best if I put him to sleep still v upset about it

Just to warn u u will be on a complete high for a while at 2.5 months I just came down from the high and got into a deep low and has been v emotional. Iv been slowely feeling lol better since Christmas was over

Last edited by moving2NZ2013; Jan 5th 2015 at 7:42 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 7:44 pm
Nz

Best advice when u say finally good byes just say see ya later then leave. Far easier. My mum cried and it make me a wreck going to the airport.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

darbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud of

People are treating me like I'm dying too lol!! It's starting to get on my nerves.

Sorry to hear about your dog, that's really sad.

Yeah I remember my brother going through a similar roller coaster. For a few weeks at least, we were just seeing photos of him doing bungee jumps and having the time of his life, but then reality sunk in and he realised it wasn't just a holiday.

But two years later he is so happy and it is definitely the best decision he's ever made

My mother was even crying on Xmas day when she was cooking the gravy, so god knows what she'll be like at the airport! Haha
Old Jan 5th 2015, 7:55 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

don't get me started on having to wait for furniture. 6-8 weeks on camping chairs and hard wooden kitchen chairs are not something I will ever want to do again. I ended up in floods of tears just crying for a sofa to park my bum on. Sofa finally arrived and after 3 days of euphoria I remembered I hated that particular sofa . can laugh about it now but at the time was awful.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

darbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud of

Haha simple things!

We are hoping to stay with my brother until shipment arrives so that we don't have to sleep on a floor lol, but it depends how long it takes I guess. We will be buying most large furniture items anyway but I shipped all of my kitchen utensils and plates etc (I'm strangely attached to these for some reason!). Or if we are lucky we may get to rent somewhere that's partially furnished to start off with, although they seem to be few and far between!
Old Jan 5th 2015, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darbydoo
so god knows what she'll be like at the airport.
My personal opinion on this is not to have anyone close to you see you off at the airport.

I've seen it too often, it tears peoples hearts apart and lengthens any process of getting though the pain of seeing someone leave.

You might want to use the journey to the airport as a means to start to make the transition to the new life.

Apart from anything else, walking through security all emotional is not good preparation for sitting around at an airport about to board a long flight, nor is it good for the people who have to make their journey home feeling sad.

These are just my thoughts, but when I left I felt that saying goodbye to my Mum in the comfortable surroundings of her own home was the best thing to do.

Most notably when I saw my cousin off when he went to Australia. His Mum and Dad and sisters were all there at Heathrow and it was a complete and utter emotional mess and he was only going for a year!!

Having said this, if your Mum feels strongly about being there then I guess there's not a lot you can do. Not sure how telling her "No" will go down!

Last edited by TommyLuck; Jan 5th 2015 at 9:56 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Ha yeah I know what you mean. It's just that we live 4 hours from the airport and I think public transport will make me cry even more!

My parents are both coming, as they have been through it before with my brother so know not to cry in front of me (they just saved it until
They got back in the car!).

Saying goodbye is going to be hard however we do it I think, and saying no to their offer of a lift will probably cause more upset :/

Thanks for the advice though, I know you're prob right.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

It's a tough decision.

I should add that that the uncle in the story above is my Mum's brother and I suspect he'd mentioned something about my cousins departure which perhaps was enough to convince Mum to not do that same.

In my situation I purposefully booked a mid AM flight out from Heathrow (about an hours drive), knowing that I had to get up and go to check in and not hang about all day.

I had a rental car that I'd arranged to drop off at the airport.

My eyes welled up looking in the rear view mirror as I drove away, but then the need to drive kind of consumed my attention.

I then broke out in tears as the plane left the tarmac.

The only tears since then have been when the Rod Stewart song "Pure Love" plays, a song my parents dedicated to us kids via social media not long after my departure as they felt the lyrics were poignant as it hadn't long been released.

Quite sweet really.

One thing about the process of saying farewell is that you realise you are human. The process of emigrating was so robotic, so much to do in so little time, no real time to sit down and think as you're on a very final deadline that can't really be missed.

Sometimes the out pour of emotion is due to the fact you've been bottling it up due to concentrating on other things.

It can't really be avoided, but I think mentally preparing for the emotion that will inevitably come certainly helps. Emotions will run high whenever and wherever you say farewell to people you care about.

Last edited by TommyLuck; Jan 5th 2015 at 10:24 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 11:40 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
The only tears since then have been when the Rod Stewart song "Pure Love" plays, a song my parents dedicated to us kids via social media not long after my departure as they felt the lyrics were poignant as it hadn't long been released.
Reminds me of a text I got from my sister whilst still at the airport on departure day. She said she had a 'moment' in the car driving away from family brunch earlier when the Adele song, 'Someone Like You' came on the car radio her sentiment for me was the lyric, 'I wish nothing but the best for you'.

I couldn't think of the song at the time and went into a shop to buy both the Adele cd's released that year. I played them through whilst on the aeroplane and promptly bawled my eyes out whilst that particular song was playing.

I wondered if I would ever be able to hear that song without crying. Um, yes I can now actually.

Tommy is right when he remarks that for so long one has kept a lid on one's emotions as one makes all the arrangements to make the move that when something breaks the dam, all the emotion comes out.

Anyway

P.S. I've just played the song Pure Love and a tear ran down my cheek. Despite having the Rod Stewart cd that the song comes from and thinking yadda yadda on hearing it. I understand where TommyLuck's parents are coming from with this song as the lyrics are very sentimental.

Anyway, I mean it this time:

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jan 5th 2015 at 11:59 pm. Reason: 19 and 21
Old Jan 6th 2015, 1:10 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

At the airport I didn't know how to feel. Excited, scared, worried we were doing the wrong thing,. Total rollercoaster.
Old Jan 6th 2015, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
P.S. I've just played the song Pure Love and a tear ran down my cheek. Despite having the Rod Stewart cd that the song comes from and thinking yadda yadda on hearing it. I understand where TommyLuck's parents are coming from with this song as the lyrics are very sentimental.
It's a amazing the difference a song can make when you listen to the lyrics, as opposed to just hearing them.

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Anyway, I mean it this time:

Right you are!
Old Jan 6th 2015, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

haha I will let you know what songs I get told about when we leave
Old Jan 6th 2015, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Don't Leave - Faithless
Don't Go - Yazoo
Better be back soon - Crowded House (a little ironic)
Homeward Bound - Simon and Garfunkel

To name but a few ...
Old Jan 7th 2015, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

I was quite calm about it. The hard bit for me was making the decision to go, and we based that on our reaction to getting a visa (we whooped, so trusted the gut instinct).

Selling my house was also an emotional moment, but we then had 5 months to get used to it (in a crappy rental).

But come the actual day, I was actually pretending to be more upset about it than I was because that's what people expected because they were upset.

I just kept saying: "I'm not dying! You can speak to me any time you like, except when I'm asleep."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.