Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What did you do on arrival?

What did you do on arrival?

Old May 8th 2008, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

zummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud of
Default What did you do on arrival?

We have finally booked our tickets, and me, hubby and 2 small children will be landing at Auckland Airport on 13th August.

So, there endeth our plan. Need to sort some accomodation, transport, and also when to collect Willow (our golden retriever) when she gets shipped - probably 2 days after we arrive or so.

Would love to hear what others arranged.

Did you travel around? Did you have things pre-booked?

We're thinking of buying a camper van .. is this feasible with no NZ address?

soo much to think about!

Lou
Old May 8th 2008, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What did you do on arrival?

hi there - good luck with the move
we had a holiday home booked for a month to give us the time to look around and find a rental - booked it in the UK online, got a discounted rate for the month and would definately recommend.

we bought our car with our temporary address so you shouldn't have a prob buying a campervan address wise - you'll need some dosh though - have a look on trademe - prices ranging from $35k upwards dependent on how old / how big - you could get a pretty good deal on a longer term rental of a campervan coming in in august (you do know it'll be winter!!) we rented a campervan just recently through Britz - no complaints at all - www.britz.co.nz

Vicki
Old May 8th 2008, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Well, we also made arrangements for a holiday home for one month. It was possible to get a reduced rate. It was nice to have a furnished place to live while we looked for a rental. We both had to look for jobs too. We didn't do much travelling, just a few day trips here and there. We spent time with new friends we met at church.
Old May 9th 2008, 2:26 am
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light

hi ya,

I stayed here: http://www.bondstlodge.co.nz/ for 3 weeks, in central AKL

but it was just me. Good clean shared facilties, with private (locking) bedrooms. They have recently had a refit with very nice new owners. Whilst I was there another young english couple were there as was a french couple with a small child. This is the cheapest option i could find that gave me security and parking. I rented a car for 2 weeks to give me time to find something worth buying.

Adie
Old May 9th 2008, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

ledge is on a distinguished road

I'd booked a holiday flat for a few weeks - the family and the dogs weren't coming until 4 weeks later.

I seem to remember having to have an address to give MAF in order to ship the dogs - in theory they're supposedly confined to your property for the first month (I did say "in theory" )
Old May 9th 2008, 5:36 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

had a ciggy, pint and a Mrs Mac's chilli beef and cheese pie..
Old May 9th 2008, 8:24 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Cried. Stayed with inlaws - cried more Escaped after a month into a motel for in Greenlane for five weeks! Moved into our own house and ... heaven
Old May 9th 2008, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

LizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to all

Originally Posted by zummerzet_lou
We have finally booked our tickets, and me, hubby and 2 small children will be landing at Auckland Airport on 13th August.

So, there endeth our plan. Need to sort some accomodation, transport, and also when to collect Willow (our golden retriever) when she gets shipped - probably 2 days after we arrive or so.

Would love to hear what others arranged.

Did you travel around? Did you have things pre-booked?

We're thinking of buying a camper van .. is this feasible with no NZ address?

soo much to think about!

Lou
we were lucky had friends pick us up from airport and car and temp accom organised by hubby's work. Into a rental wtin 2 weeks and our own home within 3 months. If the kids are school age be aware you may have to live within the catchment area of the chosen school. If where you are going is anything like Hamilton I would certainly try and book or rent something in advance as many places will not take pets, so you will need to confim your situ with the managers/owners/rental company.....
Old May 9th 2008, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Looked at the local who picked us up at the airport weirdly when they said...............

'its so cold here at the moment'

At the time it was July and i was in shorts.....landing in Auckland it felt just like a UK summers morning..... local was in an overcoat....

Aucklanders don't know winter.............
Old May 9th 2008, 3:17 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

I walked from the Containership port to the City, and took a bus to the airport where I met my wife. We hired a car drove back to the ship and collected my belongings, and ended up in a motel in Whangarei, where we got aquainted again after 7 weeks!
Old May 9th 2008, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

coltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nice

Yotty
thats a lovely story what a great ending
Old May 10th 2008, 11:41 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I made the long haul flight by myself. My husband and cats had traveled before me two months previously. We were apart around 7/8 weeks.

I stepped off the internal flight July 31st 2004 thinking I was staying in a bunk house during the NZ winter. I traveled light and brought the sleeping bag. I'd already spent two months roughing it on a friends floor . Husband was there to meet me carrying a stuffed toy kiwi. He had splashed out & hired a car and drove straight to a rental he had sorted out just that morning. Unbeknown to me he had arranged for our two cats to be there. i was totally blown away. It was just 3 days before my birthday.
Old May 10th 2008, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

snowball05 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cried with relief strangely enough! Firstly because we flew through bad weather for the last 5 hours (scary) and secondly just immense relief to finally get there after all the months of planning and arrangements.

Drove from the airport through the suburbs of Auckland, and thought "Oh my god look at the wooden houses".
Old May 10th 2008, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowball05
Drove from the airport through the suburbs of Auckland, and thought "Oh my god look at the wooden houses".
DITTO but substitute Wellington! The drive in a taxi from airport to CBD does not make the best impression on a dull grey day.
Old May 11th 2008, 4:45 am
Just Joined

Pimali is just really nicePimali is just really nicePimali is just really nicePimali is just really nicePimali is just really nicePimali is just really nicePimali is just really nicePimali is just really nicePimali is just really nice

Arrived totally exhausted, drove to Wellington CBD in a shuttle in heavy rain (mid-July), and slept for hours. In great shape at 3.00 am for two weeks. (we waited another week and back in a plane to visit Rotorua. In the rain, of course, but it was fantastic! Hot pools when raining are just sumptuous)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.