Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What Is The Crime Rate Like Where You Live

What Is The Crime Rate Like Where You Live

Old May 8th 2006, 11:31 am
Just Joined

sheil347 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy What Is The Crime Rate Like Where You Live

Hi, my family and I are in the process of deciding whereabouts in NZ we want to move to. We have decided that it will be somewhere in the North Island but unsure where exactly. Our children are aged 5,7 & 10 and the main reason for leaving the UK is the rising rates of crime. Pretty soon the whole country will be a no-go area.We are desperate to give them a new life in a safer, healthier environment. We want them to live outdoors a lot more and we are determined to get them away from the TV and games consoles. What do your kids get up to after school? Is it a better, healthier and safer life for them?Help us to decide the best place to move to.,from SHEILA
Old May 8th 2006, 8:25 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Is The Crime Rate Like Where You Live

Well on St Patricks's night someone stole our Irish car flag from our car which was parked on the road - never mind that I TOLD hubby not to put it out. It didn't make the papers though

Crime around us??? Very little There was a big cannabis plant discovery a few months ago in the bush near Glenfield - I saw it all lying out beside the road - more funny than frightening

There is more crime unfortunately in other, lower, socio-economic areas of Auckland but you'll find that everywhere and there seems more of a will to deal with it here. For instance, there was a spate of rocks being thrown over a bridge on the Southern Motorway and a young guy was killed. Within a very short time span there a barrier erected and it was stopped.
Old May 8th 2006, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sheil347
Hi, my family and I are in the process of deciding whereabouts in NZ we want to move to. We have decided that it will be somewhere in the North Island but unsure where exactly. Our children are aged 5,7 & 10 and the main reason for leaving the UK is the rising rates of crime. Pretty soon the whole country will be a no-go area.We are desperate to give them a new life in a safer, healthier environment. We want them to live outdoors a lot more and we are determined to get them away from the TV and games consoles. What do your kids get up to after school? Is it a better, healthier and safer life for them?Help us to decide the best place to move to.,from SHEILA
Unfortunately there is crime in any city...a lot of it is gang-on-gang crime though, so unles you join the local charter of the Mogrel Mob you will not get too much of it.

But robberies and assults do occur, two tourists were bashed a few weeks apart in Wellington, there have been incidences of bullying at school, there was a armed standoff with police on an Auckland motorway yesterday.

While this may sound scary, I have to say NZ feels pretty safe, and probably is as safe as it gets for urban living really.

Just know that nowhere is perfect...

We live in Wellington
Old May 8th 2006, 10:21 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newkiwi
Unfortunately there is crime in any city...a lot of it is gang-on-gang crime though, so unles you join the local charter of the Mogrel Mob you will not get too much of it.

But robberies and assults do occur, two tourists were bashed a few weeks apart in Wellington, there have been incidences of bullying at school, there was a armed standoff with police on an Auckland motorway yesterday.

While this may sound scary, I have to say NZ feels pretty safe, and probably is as safe as it gets for urban living really.

Just know that nowhere is perfect...

We live in Wellington
Actually, one thing that’s bad is the domestic crime rate. The women’s refuge are in dire straits at the moment because of the increase in women needing their services and were appealing for help last night. I think that I wouldn’t be surprised if that incident yesterday in West Auckland wasn’t another such case.
Old May 9th 2006, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

IainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really nice

Lots of drug/gang related crime in NZ - plenty of property crime to fuel P habbits and I noticed a fair bit of petty vandalism in Auckland. No worse than the UK, but certainly not a crime free utopia either. The statistics are pretty much the same as in the UK. Unless you're unlucky you're not going to bump into it, and the streets feel pretty safe. Gang violence can be random and very nasty though - nothing like that in the UK at all. In my experience the gangs in the UK are teeny, hoodie wearing, gansta wannabes and are fairly harmless. Here they are 40 something nutcases and really not the sort you'd bring home to meet the parents.

The activity of choice for youngsters would seem to be hooning about in cheap, fast Japanese imports. And surfing Generally I'd say NZ is a better place to bring up kids, especially if you aren't too uptight about them experiencing life a bit.

Last edited by IainW; May 9th 2006 at 6:25 am.
Old May 9th 2006, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down What Is The Crime Rate Like Where You Live

There was someone’s post box beaten up, happened just around the corner, about 6 months ago.

Some hoons, don’t know who they are, went at it with a hammer.

Very unpleasant, the owner had to retire it and buy a new one.

A very sorry affair if there ever was one.

Still that’s one of the penalties of living in Murrays Bay, your post box has the potential to be murdered at the dead of night…………….

At least it made good firewood.
Old May 9th 2006, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
There was someone’s post box beaten up, happened just around the corner, about 6 months ago.

Some hoons, don’t know who they are, went at it with a hammer.

Very unpleasant, the owner had to retire it and buy a new one.

A very sorry affair if there ever was one.

Still that’s one of the penalties of living in Murrays Bay, your post box has the potential to be murdered at the dead of night…………….

At least it made good firewood.
OMG thats so terrible!! Are you sure it was a hammer? Did they find the murder weapon?
Old May 9th 2006, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahB
OMG thats so terrible!! Are you sure it was a hammer? Did they find the murder weapon?
Yes SarahB

A very nasty episode indeed.

There were apparently hammer indents on the top of the box and the stem was broken, nay compound fractured into many parts.

What is even more disturbing is that it did not even get a whisper in the local newspaper, I even looked for it on Tele-Text, nada, zip, zilch, not even the briefest mention of it.

Don’t know what the world is coming to…………
Old May 9th 2006, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

And to top it all, I believe the owner went at it with an axe after the event!

Blimey what is the world coming too, first killed by a hammer and then mutilated by an axe!

Shocking...........
Old May 9th 2006, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

Yes and kids watch tv and play video games in NZ too
Old May 9th 2006, 11:06 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukkiwi
Yes and kids watch tv and play video games in NZ too
We didn't have a colour TV until I was 12 . The old black and white set did not really do it for me, when there was so much to do outside.

Kiwi
Old May 9th 2006, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Default What Is The Crime Rate Like Where You Live

Blimey thebears you must be about the same age as me, like you I did not see a colour television until I was about 11 years old, it was a Hitachi and it lasted for a further 20 years.

The old black and white was a Bush, when you turned the set off at the end of an evenings riveting viewing there used to be a little white dot in the centre of the screen, one would stare at this dot until it disappeared………we all led different lives in those days and amusement was very easy to find.

Strangely enough it nearly put me on the murderous road to snuffing post boxes, thankfully colour came along and salvation……..free at last……….free at last.