Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What are the costs of utilities in NZ?

What are the costs of utilities in NZ?

Old Sep 7th 2013, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Default What are the costs of utilities in NZ?

What are the average costs of Gas, Water, Electricity, Phones, Broadband etc in NZ?
Old Sep 7th 2013, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are the costs of utilities in NZ?

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones
What are the average costs of Gas, Water, Electricity, Phones, Broadband etc in NZ?
Gas???? It only comes in bottles in NZ apart from a few places so people generally don't use it.

There's 2 of us in a medium sized house and we use about $4 to $5 a day.

Water prices depend on where in NZ you are I think, you don't get charged in most places. It's just included in your rates.

My iPhone contract was $90 a month but now over a year into the 2 year contract it's down to $45 a month. If you've got a mobile already you can get amazingly cheap deals with Skinny Mobile, there's a bit of a price war happened. $15 a month will get you plenty of data, minutes and texts.

Broadband isn't cheap. I bet most people pay around $100 a month but you can get better deals, it's getting a bit more competitive so prices are dropping.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

We don't have gas. Electricity - over the year it averages out to about $200 a month (family of 4)

We pay water rates, $50-60 a month.

Home phone (local calls are free) and 80gb of broadband costs us $85 a month. Prices for broadband are definitely coming down, a year or two ago we were paying the same amount and only getting 5gb. There are some deals for unlimited broadband now, it's a relatively new concept here.

Mobiles, I agree, if you have a phone you can get a package of what you need for $15 or $20 a month.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 10:28 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

gas we are getting through roughly a bottle month, we have our hot water on it. so that $98, plus $100 per year bottle hire.

electric in may was $135 but in June $260, we run 4 heat pumps and a biggish marine fish tank.

Orcon our phone and broadband in July was $140 but last month it went to $220 as went over the agreed limit, kids youtubing, and husband has applied a mobile plan onto it. not sure if the mobile plan will stay
Old Sep 7th 2013, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

I would say about on a par with UK.
We in the past 2 yrs have not noticed any really difference either cheaper or more expensive.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

We are on mains gas (one fire and hot water) and electric, our first month (winter) was $310 and this months $185

Internet and home phone is $100 month

No water bills, landlord pays it in the rates

Sky TV $50 month

Bought our mobiles over with us and its $19 month for data, phone calls and unlimited texts with Vodafone

We are family of 4 with two kids, who never turn off lights!!!
Hope that helps
Old Sep 8th 2013, 10:21 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Our mains gas bill is about $70 a month, electric about 110-200 depending on time of year.
Internet and phone about $110 for a big data cap. ($50 phone, rest internet)
Rates in Wellington city are $150 a month for us for a pretty average 3 bed house.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

No mains gas.
Electric I pay around $130 a month.
Phone / broadband is $95 a month.
Water is included in rates. They are around $2000 a year in the city, $1000 a year in a rural location just outside the city.

That's all the bills!

I have a pay as u go mobile (which I use a LOT) on a Freebee data plan with Vodafone and I use no more than $20 a month, usually less!
Old Sep 8th 2013, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

We are in the middle of the South Island, are a family of 5, 3 teens who shower a lot

We have no gas

Electricity: 100yr old house insulated $200pm summer...$300-400pm winter...running 1 heat pump

Plus winter wood appx $180 a load...used appx 3 loads this winter which was mild...

Phone: includes broadband 40g $96pm - includes 1-2 calls to the uk

Water: included in rates...

Rates: $300 bi monthly

Hope that helps....
Old Sep 10th 2013, 4:12 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Average cost of gas is around $18-$26 depending on heatness of curry. Usually a chicken phaal can provide enough fire for a good days supply of gas

Electricity - our electric bills range from $95 in the summer to around $390 in the winter. It would be a lot lower if I could send the wife back to England for 3 months during the winter season.

We pay $129 a month for 40GB of Broadband and unlimited amount of International calls, we were with Telstra but all of a sudden got moved to Vodafone. Luckily for us, there was a huge cock up and we're getting international call rate for around $140 cheaper than we should

We have pay as you go mobiles - no point in having contract phones here, wouldn't get our monies worth
Old Sep 10th 2013, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE] It would be a lot lower if I could send the wife back to England for 3 months during the winter season. [QUOTE]
Old Sep 10th 2013, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Kin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to all

Our electric bill last month was $250 and we hardly had the heating on at all. I'd say it averages about $180 per month. We live in Auckland (don't know if that makes a difference). Don't pay water bills (we rent) and don't have gas.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 9:31 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

just got my monthly electric bill, $320.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Mark Smith;10893629][QUOTE] It would be a lot lower if I could send the wife back to England for 3 months during the winter season.
Hahaha my husband says the same about me!
Old Sep 11th 2013, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
just got my monthly electric bill, $320.
Good grief! Paid mine today, $165

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.