Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What chance do I stand?

What chance do I stand?

Old Sep 25th 2010, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

darrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant future
Default What chance do I stand?

Hello folks.
I have had a good look through this forum and was pleasantly surprised to see most people are treated with respect

I fancy the move to New Zealand, at the moment I live in a very drab country and work all week to support others that cannot quite be bothered.

What would my chances be of working over there?

I am 44, have a 33 year old common law partner ( back of the net ) and a 14 year old daughter.

I have no real trade. I spent my formative years in the army as a mechanic, then left for Spain to become a salesperson and a bookmaker, and then sold mobility products in the UK.

I have got a HGV1 license and a tracked vehicle license, and I would be quite prepared to enter back into an institutionalised profession such as military support, an older bobby or a prison officer.

My partner is a qualified library assistant and none of us have a police record.

I would be able to support myself and buy a house and should be able to take approx £300, 000 with me.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

darrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant futuredarrell1966 has a brilliant future
Default Re: What chance do I stand?

Wow, thirty views and not one reply. Are we in London?
Old Sep 25th 2010, 4:21 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darrell1966
work all week to support others that cannot quite be bothered.
You may not like the fact that a goodly chunk of your wages here contribute to the income of folks suffering from such conditions as alcoholism, drug addiction, and none of my family workism.

The bit you need to think is that NZ doesn't see itself as an escape route for you from drudgery, you need to prove that you can contribute to the country, hence the variety of categories and the points system.
From what you say, and as ex squaddie who sympathises, I don't think you'd make skilled migrant. Try having a look at the other routes, but best of luck.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Try the points indicator on NZIS website and take it from there. HTH
Old Sep 25th 2010, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Not much chance of being successfull but it depends on what type of visa you go for
Old Sep 25th 2010, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

Hi
I agree that doing the assessment ( it's free) will be a good start .
Old Sep 25th 2010, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Hello folks.
I have had a good look through this forum and was pleasantly surprised to see most people are treated with respect

I fancy the move to New Zealand, at the moment I live in a very drab country and work all week to support others that cannot quite be bothered.

What would my chances be of working over there?

I am 44, have a 33 year old common law partner ( back of the net ) and a 14 year old daughter.

I have no real trade. I spent my formative years in the army as a mechanic, then left for Spain to become a salesperson and a bookmaker, and then sold mobility products in the UK.

I have got a HGV1 license and a tracked vehicle license, and I would be quite prepared to enter back into an institutionalised profession such as military support, an older bobby or a prison officer.

My partner is a qualified library assistant and none of us have a police record.

I would be able to support myself and buy a house and should be able to take approx £300, 000 with me.
IF you can get a job with either Plod or the prison service there is no reason why you could not come over. Not sure if you need to be s resident 1st to get into plod???? You will have to get yourself over here for the interview if you can get one, best to look at the website for each service eh?

Alternative is to get a job in NZ with any accredited employer. Someone I know got a job as a salesman over here with Tyco. Times are very very hard here. But if you are well up for it the best thing to do would be to come over here and test the water. I guess you can come over here on a tourist visa and secure a job during the 6 month visa (anyone know diffo??)? When you get the job then apply for either PR or the WTR visa.

Where there is a will there is always a way. Have a look at www.nzis.govt.nz in relation to either your HGV or mechanics being on the skill shortage list..assuming you have the correct quals which are very important re skill shortage list jobs. Good luck. The 300 k GBP will set you up really, really well. We started with summat like that and it was a huge help to ensure our emigration worked well for us.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Thanks a lot for all your replies, they have really been a great help.

I never realised it was so easy to stay there for six months and get a job.

I always planned to sell the house I bought in England and buy a smaller one, it is way too big for us and I only bought it as an investment.

I shall just sell it as I was going to and move to New Zealand for six months. If we like it and I can make money there, have a go at staying. If it all goes pear shaped we have still had a bit of an adventure.

I am self employed, so can just go back to doing what I was doing at the drop of a hat.

Where should I consider looking? I would like scenery, a lot of house for my buck , good weather, not too far to shops.

I have had a look at the shortage of skilled jobs list and truck drivers do appear, is there anywhere in the country that is a bit of a hub for truckers?

Thanks again all.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 8:07 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Just about every thing goes by truck, the South Island has only one rail line, there are some major truck companies here , have a look on net and find them, send them an e mail and see what responce you get ?

I am a Prison Officer and have had questions from folk in UK who are existing Officers, an existing officer needs at least 4 years service in UK to even apply for a job here from UK ! and with the times like they are, the Kiwis have to try to employ a Kiwi before an overseas , if you exchange that sort of ammount of money to $$$$ and say you get 2.70 to the pound, you would be richer than most folk in NZ, you would have to keep that quiet in most places as they would snub you for being a rich POME !! but that sort of cash would get you a flying start thats for sure !! Mind you they dont even ask you how much you are bringing, like OZ ! Mind you that $$ woudnt last long in the North Shore areas and Auckland, you could buy acres and acres of land and a huge house down the SI though.

Good luck with your choices .

Nige, Dunedin area since May 05
Old Sep 25th 2010, 9:48 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

I have had a look at the shortage of skilled jobs list and truck drivers do appear, is there anywhere in the country that is a bit of a hub for truckers?

Thanks again all.
You need to be looking at Auckland, Tauranga, Wellington and New Plymouth on the North island. Basically, anywhere that has a port...........not sure about the South island......good luck!
Old Sep 26th 2010, 7:53 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
...and say you get 2.70 to the pound...
But you won´t get near that rate!
Old Sep 26th 2010, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simonsi
But you won´t get near that rate!
I thought that after a little home work. There are some lovely properties for not much money out there but, without trying to alienate myself from the forum, what is it with most of the sofas and carpets out there?

Some of them are shocking, the rest seem very dated. Is nice furniture and carpets an issue there? I know it was in Spain when lived there.

Thanks for all the replies so far
Old Sep 26th 2010, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that after a little home work. There are some lovely properties for not much money out there but, without trying to alienate myself from the forum, what is it with most of the sofas and carpets out there?

Some of them are shocking, the rest seem very dated. Is nice furniture and carpets an issue there? I know it was in Spain when lived there.

Thanks for all the replies so far
The issue is that kiwis have little taste in home furnishings. I bought all mine from the UK!!
Old Sep 26th 2010, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Genesis
The issue is that kiwis have little taste in home furnishings. I bought all mine from the UK!!
I would never dare tar an entire country with the same brush, is nice furniture available and affordable?

You can get container loads of very good furniture from China at very good rates, and China is nearer NZ than the UK.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

I would never dare tar an entire country with the same brush, is nice furniture available and affordable?

You can get container loads of very good furniture from China at very good rates, and China is nearer NZ than the UK.
Depends what your idea of 'nice' is. I am particular about furniture, I like old crap and am very, very happy I bought all my shite from the UK.. Old furniture is at a big premium over here. You can pick the odd bargain up at a charity store but its best to bring your own. Not sure about chinese furniture. If it lasts like most of their stuff I would give it a wide birth. I speak from experience regarding gym equipment and other chinese made goods.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.