Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What car to buy in NZ?

What car to buy in NZ?

Old Oct 30th 2006, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

DiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to all
Default What car to buy in NZ?

Hi,

We are just doing some research and budgeting for purchasing a car when we arrrive in Auckland. We are looking at spending £3000. Can anyone offer advice on the types of car to go for and some advice on insurance and general motoring costs? Needs to be practical, not flashy, its just the pair of us so doesnt have to be that big, both over 25.

Thanks!
Old Oct 30th 2006, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What car to buy in NZ?

Originally Posted by DiffordA
Hi,
We are just doing some research and budgeting for purchasing a car when we arrrive in Auckland. We are looking at spending £3000. Can anyone offer advice on the types of car to go for and some advice on insurance and general motoring costs? Needs to be practical, not flashy, its just the pair of us so doesnt have to be that big, both over 25.
Subaru Outback or Legacy estate. Sweet boxer engine.

K.
Old Oct 30th 2006, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

I shall be selling a 1998 Ford Mondeo, Verona edition similar to a LX around early December.

Owned from new by me, regular service, passes WOF easily, 75K miles on the clock, 1.8l engine, obviously a UK import, reliable car starts first time every time.

Got one or two scrapes on the body work but otherwise perfect condition.

Manual, AC, stereo, juice green colour.

A perfect buy.

PM me if you want some more details.
Old Oct 30th 2006, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
I shall be selling a 1998 Ford Mondeo, Verona edition similar to a LX around early December.

Owned from new by me, regular service, passes WOF easily, 75K miles on the clock, 1.8l engine, obviously a UK import, reliable car starts first time every time.

A perfect buy.

has it been used for airport lift giving?
Old Oct 30th 2006, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice

Originally Posted by DiffordA
Hi,

Thanks!
Most of the cars are Jap imports and there are loads to choose from as soon as you enter a lot they are are on you.You can get NZ new ones as well.We bought a Toyota from Albany Toyota from the under $10k lot and it was spotless when we got it.We also got it insured with a company that only insures Toyota too.Make sure you bring your no claims cert some companys need them also.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of

3k English Pounds=aprox 10k Kiwi Dollars---Toyota/Honda--from a biggish dealer--no problems.

Your biggest problem is going to be driving it on Kiwi roads and horror's of horror's Kiwi Drivers(well not exactly drivers -Aimers)

Watch out for the Asian's--they are in a class of their own.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tooanfrom
3k English Pounds=aprox 10k Kiwi Dollars---Toyota/Honda--from a biggish dealer--no problems.

Your biggest problem is going to be driving it on Kiwi roads and horror's of horror's Kiwi Drivers(well not exactly drivers -Aimers)

Watch out for the Asian's--they are in a class of their own.
Err, not quite, the dollar has dropped back a fair bit. I make it $8500.
You should get a decent import for that. Look for anything up to about 12K and haggle. You should get a fair bit off. We managed to get 20% off when we did it.
Mark
Old Oct 31st 2006, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Markk
Err, not quite, the dollar has dropped back a fair bit. I make it $8500.
You should get a decent import for that. Look for anything up to about 12K and haggle. You should get a fair bit off. We managed to get 20% off when we did it.
Mark
Most sincere apolgies--when I came here in 1981 it was 3 to 1-I still get caught in the time warp--but the driving and drivers are still the same(Asians since then are a added bonus)
Old Oct 31st 2006, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

trigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nice

Most sincere apolgies--when I came here in 1981 it was 3 to 1-I still get caught in the time warp--but the driving and drivers are still the same(Asians since then are a added bonus)

Sounds like we will do ok for our £3K. Mad drivers arent an issue, I learnt to drive in Cyprus, no roads, no markings and no respect for property!!! WACKY RACERS!

I hear insurance is very reasonable, this true?
Old Oct 31st 2006, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel
has it been used for airport lift giving?
Still no takers!

I have assigned that onerous duty to my deputy and he is very much a Kiwi man.

He has nearly got in to punch-ups with others when they start knobbing NZ.

His motto is "If you don't like it, then go"

Rather succinct, don't you think?!?!?
Old Oct 31st 2006, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

DiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Nice Guy

A perfect buy.

Thank you very much for the offer, it could have been a tempting offer for us but unfortunately we wont be over there until March time next year.

Thanks again though, and to everyone for their thoughts and suggestions!
Old Oct 31st 2006, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Whatever you do --steer well clear of UK imports.

Ice and snow are cleared from the British roads by salt/grit--you can achieve the same result over here by driving into the sea--whichever choice you make it will still rust the car. We do not have the salty roads--so just drive it up and down the beach.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

trigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nice

Whatever you do --steer well clear of UK imports.

Ice and snow are cleared from the British roads by salt/grit--you can achieve the same result over here by driving into the sea--whichever choice you make it will still rust the car. We do not have the salty roads--so just drive it up and down the beach.
Thats good advice!