British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   What CAN'T I bring with me?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-cant-i-bring-me-693651/)

Kezzar Nov 15th 2010 6:30 pm

What CAN'T I bring with me??
 
Hi all:)

We've gone ahead and booked with John Masson the first week in December...yikes:eek:

Does anyone know if I bring any of the following things:
-Cosmetics / Make up brushes?
-Shampoo/General hair products?
-Cleaning products?
-Vitamins/Medications?
-Food items like spices etc
-Can we bring our tent?

Any advise on what is not worth bringing along? I'd rather not risks any drama with NZ customs but we do have quite a lot if items mentioned above that are quite expensive or we've collected over time.

Now we just have to be careful to leave vital things behind that we can still use while our items are being shipped:blink:

I'd appreciate any advise with this :thumbsup:

Thanks
Kezzar

shirl Nov 15th 2010 7:23 pm

Re: What CAN'T I bring with me??
 

Originally Posted by Kezzar (Post 8983622)
Hi all:)

We've gone ahead and booked with John Masson the first week in December...yikes:eek:

Does anyone know if I bring any of the following things:
-Cosmetics / Make up brushes?
-Shampoo/General hair products?
-Cleaning products?
-Vitamins/Medications?
-Food items like spices etc
-Can we bring our tent?

Any advise on what is not worth bringing along? I'd rather not risks any drama with NZ customs but we do have quite a lot if items mentioned above that are quite expensive or we've collected over time.

Now we just have to be careful to leave vital things behind that we can still use while our items are being shipped:blink:

I'd appreciate any advise with this :thumbsup:

Thanks
Kezzar

Most of the above you can bring, the tent will not be allowed to have any UK dirt on it so may want to get it steam cleaned! Very tough bio security rules here. I am not sure about food, I would not bring food. Even an apple in your bag costs you $400 fine!

janeyk Nov 15th 2010 7:50 pm

Re: What CAN'T I bring with me??
 
Hi
All of the above except herbs and spices, we wiped our tent with Jeys it was fine, shampoos etc we put in a plastic container, with all our excess toiletries not a problem its just if anything leaks. I know a friend that put several big bottles of orange squash in the container as that was what her son only drank.
Our packers did not like matches or batteries and starting throwing them out until I stopped them throwing out the rechargable ones. Candles can be an issue

bring wicker if you have any, bring wine if you have it, bikes, garden tools outdorr furniture just make sure any dirt is removed. We had a bench which was tanalised but not stained we have imported it twice no problems regardless of what the removal companies say

yjx1nt7 Nov 15th 2010 8:28 pm

Re: What CAN'T I bring with me??
 
Hi
We ve booked end of November with John Mason too. We are taking everything including car .When do you fly ?
Jo

harrogate girl Nov 16th 2010 2:13 am

Re: What CAN'T I bring with me??
 

Originally Posted by janeyk (Post 8983788)
Hi
All of the above except herbs and spices, we wiped our tent with Jeys it was fine, shampoos etc we put in a plastic container, with all our excess toiletries not a problem its just if anything leaks. I know a friend that put several big bottles of orange squash in the container as that was what her son only drank.
Our packers did not like matches or batteries and starting throwing them out until I stopped them throwing out the rechargable ones. Candles can be an issue

bring wicker if you have any, bring wine if you have it, bikes, garden tools outdorr furniture just make sure any dirt is removed. We had a bench which was tanalised but not stained we have imported it twice no problems regardless of what the removal companies say

Candles thats a new one to me.!!!

harrogate girl Nov 16th 2010 2:16 am

Re: What CAN'T I bring with me??
 

Originally Posted by Kezzar (Post 8983622)
[F]Hi all:)

We've gone ahead and booked with John Masson the first week in December...yikes:eek:

Does anyone know if I bring any of the following things:
-Cosmetics / Make up brushes?
-Shampoo/General hair products?
-Cleaning products?
-Vitamins/Medications?
-Food items like spices etc
-Can we bring our tent?

Any advise on what is not worth bringing along? I'd rather not risks any drama with NZ customs but we do have quite a lot if items mentioned above that are quite expensive or we've collected over time.

Now we just have to be careful to leave vital things behind that we can still use while our items are being shipped:blink:

I'd appreciate any advise with this :thumbsup:

Thanks
Kezzar[/FONT]

Just bring them:thumbsup: pack by owner!! then get them to repack as bathroom/kitchen items:thumbup:

Expat Kiwi Nov 16th 2010 3:48 am

Re: What CAN'T I bring with me??
 

Originally Posted by harrogate girl (Post 8984425)
Candles thats a new one to me.!!!

Just the beeswax variety - don't want no nasty bee mites coming into NZ; also candles that have plant materials embedded in them aren't welcome.

When we unpacked from NZ we found the dessicated carcass of a mouse in one box, plus some stinko wattle seeds that one of the kids had packed by accident. All of which we cremated asap.

Biddy Nov 16th 2010 9:24 am

Re: What CAN'T I bring with me??
 
Don't bring the inlaws.

4pommes Nov 16th 2010 3:48 pm

Re: What CAN'T I bring with me??
 

Originally Posted by harrogate girl (Post 8984425)
Candles thats a new one to me.!!!

It's because of the beeswax....not allowed.

harrogate girl Nov 16th 2010 6:44 pm

Re: What CAN'T I bring with me??
 

Originally Posted by 4pommes (Post 8985441)
It's because of the beeswax....not allowed.

God still have some small ones left not used from 2003:o:o:o

JaneRiley Nov 19th 2010 5:12 am

Re: What CAN'T I bring with me??
 
Your shipper has to submit an inventory and if you try to get things in by calling them something else you could find yourself in big, expensive trouble. Do not bring any food, wicker or candles. There are good reasons for this and you can get all this stuff here. We were very happy we cleaned our bikes well and walking boots as MAF inspected them. We were told that any concerns with them and the whole container would have been scrutinised. Honestly this is a big money spinner for NZ and they WILL fine you or destroy stuff. Just follow the Govt guidelines. My advice would be to bring things you love but you do get to understand that material possessions are only that - and can be replaced.

ncundy Nov 19th 2010 9:15 pm

Re: What CAN'T I bring with me??
 

Originally Posted by yjx1nt7 (Post 8983896)
Hi
We ve booked end of November with John Mason too. We are taking everything including car .When do you fly ?
Jo

Hi,
Sorry for jumping in on the conversation but noticed your intending to bring
your car over to NZ. I am due to move out there next year and would like to bring the car as its in excellent condition and only 3 years old but cannot find any information on where to start with the process and costs involved.
Can you please help.
Many thanks in advance

Neil

yjx1nt7 Nov 19th 2010 11:14 pm

Re: What CAN'T I bring with me??
 

Originally Posted by ncundy (Post 8992563)
Hi,
Sorry for jumping in on the conversation but noticed your intending to bring
your car over to NZ. I am due to move out there next year and would like to bring the car as its in excellent condition and only 3 years old but cannot find any information on where to start with the process and costs involved.
Can you please help.
Many thanks in advance

Neil

Hi
Weve booked with john mason they informed us of everything we needed to do. We are getting it steam cleaned this weekend and having it transported to there depo in Liverpool so it will be dry and clean before going on the container.You must of owned it for over 12 months . But any of the container companies will advise you. We looked at the cost of our car in NZ and the cost of moving it and came to the conclusion it was worth taking. . But it all depends on what type of car you have

jmh Nov 20th 2010 8:46 am

Re: What CAN'T I bring with me??
 
Some years ago I wanted to take some homemade wedding cake into NZ. It was wrapped in tinfoil, and I went straight up to the guys at the airport and asked if it was ok. I was fully expecting it to be binned but they let me through. Never fully understood why because it was breaking all the rules as far as I could tell.

Anyway, here's a useful site: http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/enter/declare

I think the main thing is to declare whatever you have.

ncundy Nov 20th 2010 10:32 am

Re: What CAN'T I bring with me??
 

Originally Posted by yjx1nt7 (Post 8992732)
Hi
Weve booked with john mason they informed us of everything we needed to do. We are getting it steam cleaned this weekend and having it transported to there depo in Liverpool so it will be dry and clean before going on the container.You must of owned it for over 12 months . But any of the container companies will advise you. We looked at the cost of our car in NZ and the cost of moving it and came to the conclusion it was worth taking. . But it all depends on what type of car you have

jyx1nt7,
Many thanks, I'll make a few enquiries


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:17 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.