Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What CAN'T I bring with me??

What CAN'T I bring with me??

Old Nov 20th 2010, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

johnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nice
Default Re: What CAN'T I bring with me??

Originally Posted by ncundy
Hi,
Sorry for jumping in on the conversation but noticed your intending to bring
your car over to NZ. I am due to move out there next year and would like to bring the car as its in excellent condition and only 3 years old but cannot find any information on where to start with the process and costs involved.
Can you please help.
Many thanks in advance

Neil
Neil,
A couple of pages that I've got bookmarked are:
Customs requirements:
http://www.customs.govt.nz/library/F...le+Imports.htm

NZTA requirements:
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/importing/index.html

if what you want to know is not covered on these pages, then it's probably on one of the linked ones from them.
John.
Old Nov 20th 2010, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

ncundy is just really nicencundy is just really nicencundy is just really nicencundy is just really nicencundy is just really nicencundy is just really nicencundy is just really nicencundy is just really nice
Post Re: What CAN'T I bring with me??

John,
Many thanks I'll have a look
Tks

Neil
Old Nov 21st 2010, 2:24 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jmh
Some years ago I wanted to take some homemade wedding cake into NZ. It was wrapped in tinfoil, and I went straight up to the guys at the airport and asked if it was ok. I was fully expecting it to be binned but they let me through. Never fully understood why because it was breaking all the rules as far as I could tell.

Anyway, here's a useful site: http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/enter/declare

I think the main thing is to declare whatever you have.
JO When the container arrives what will happen first is the car will be taken for a good looking over the other items will come to you first.it will take a few days before you get the car.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

yes you can bring wicker! we have twice and had it inspected both times do not throw away bastets or furniture we just wiped it all with a cloth sprayed with Jeys including an expensive wicker sofa!

we also brought outside pots this time and an untreated bench!
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

craigjohnstone has a brilliant futurecraigjohnstone has a brilliant futurecraigjohnstone has a brilliant futurecraigjohnstone has a brilliant futurecraigjohnstone has a brilliant futurecraigjohnstone has a brilliant futurecraigjohnstone has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ncundy
Hi,
Sorry for jumping in on the conversation but noticed your intending to bring
your car over to NZ. I am due to move out there next year and would like to bring the car as its in excellent condition and only 3 years old but cannot find any information on where to start with the process and costs involved.
Can you please help.
Many thanks in advance

Neil
Neil

Take a look at the attached link as a starter for 10. I'm bringing mine aswell and this is one of the freight companies that we are considering using. They supplied me with this info.

Craig

http://www.pssremovals.com/car-shipping-new-zealand.php
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

Kezzar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yjx1nt7
Hi
We ve booked end of November with John Mason too. We are taking everything including car .When do you fly ?
Jo
We fly out the 9th December!! I can't belive how soon it is. I'm getting very nervous now and scared I may forget something really important

John Mason collecting everything the 7th and 8th Dec.

Old Nov 22nd 2010, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Foxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud of

Hi. I brought our dried cooking herbs. Just put on forms that they were in a box and were for cooking. Came through with no problems. The movers refused candles and wicker baskets. Candles I can understand, but was cross about the wicker baskets, as I could have brought them.

ncundy, simonsi has just brought his car through. This was his update. I am sure if you have any questions he will be happy to answer them

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688355
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 7:27 pm
mick/caz

mwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shirl
Most of the above you can bring, the tent will not be allowed to have any UK dirt on it so may want to get it steam cleaned! Very tough bio security rules here. I am not sure about food, I would not bring food. Even an apple in your bag costs you $400 fine!
Spices are a no no, I have already looked into this as I have loads as well that I have collected over time. You can put unopened bottles or containers of make up, shampoo ect, as long as it isn't by the case load!!!Lol. Brushes etc are ok as long as cleaned, but think about what they allow in your suit case and it is similar. Be careful about xmas decs etc as no dried flowers, seeds, fir cones allowed.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

I brought over spices and stock cubes in my luggage. Declared both on arrival and they had no problem with them going through.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

killercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud of

HI we moved all our stuff with John Mason, they were brill we brought all the items you mentioned and more. our wicker was inspected by maf at the house and our tent and outdoor furniture. we also brought food with us as the packer emptied our cupboards and wine rack. in fact bless them they also packed a half eaten alpacca shaped cake we had for our leaving do! not nice after 3 months in a container lol
I would stock up on shampoo and stuff as it one of the things i find really expensive here and the range is limited, or im just fussy
Good luck with it all
Jacki
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 9:06 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killercat
in fact bless them they also packed a half eaten alpacca shaped cake we had for our leaving do!

Old Nov 23rd 2010, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

Do you think I can bring back a Paui shell I found on the beach at Kaikoura

I have a bit of coral from Barbados which I know i'm not allowed to bring but I'm gonna chance it.

We were told not to bring wicker; candles; any untreated wood (ie varnish it or cover it in water soluable stuff; anything that's been outside and has dirt on it.

I will NOT be bringing my current lifestyle with me!!
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

do bring Wicker it is expensive here and not so much choice I will say again I have brought wicker furniture, baskets and untreated garden furniture twice and had no pronblems into 2 different ports both times been inspected and no problems the packers just say this to make their life easier!
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Foxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud of

Someone I know brought her wicker furniture from South Africa and all MAFF did was inspect it for spiders and let it through. Chance it. Wish I had
Old Nov 26th 2010, 9:02 pm
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by janeyk
do bring Wicker it is expensive here and not so much choice I will say again I have brought wicker furniture, baskets and untreated garden furniture twice and had no pronblems into 2 different ports both times been inspected and no problems the packers just say this to make their life easier!
Yes I would say you are spot on!! and lots of the packers are just out of date. Even the maff girls say the uk Wicker is so good and nice....bring it!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.