Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What can they bring?

What can they bring?

Old Dec 19th 2005, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default What can they bring?

I know we've discussed this before but what exactly can my parents bring over for me in their spare suitcase?

My mum has just phoned me to ask if theres anything I want bringing over from the UK as they have such a huge luggage allowance.

I keep saying I would like Angel Delight and Instant Custard Powder but is this OK? I dont want to suggest anything that might get them into trouble. I'd like her to bring some nice favourite sweeties too... will that be OK? How about crisps?

I'm sure I remember that it was any fresh food, meat, fruit etc that you cant bring.... am I right?

And what should I ask my mum to bring with her??

Cheers for your help

SarahB
Old Dec 19th 2005, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What can they bring?

Originally Posted by SarahB
I know we've discussed this before but what exactly can my parents bring over for me in their spare suitcase?

My mum has just phoned me to ask if theres anything I want bringing over from the UK as they have such a huge luggage allowance.

I keep saying I would like Angel Delight and Instant Custard Powder but is this OK? I dont want to suggest anything that might get them into trouble. I'd like her to bring some nice favourite sweeties too... will that be OK? How about crisps?

I'm sure I remember that it was any fresh food, meat, fruit etc that you cant bring.... am I right?

Cheers for your help

SarahB
Check out http://www.auckland-airport.co.nz/PaxInfo/agreg.php

but i'm pretty sure sealed things such as cans and the like are OK.
Old Dec 19th 2005, 1:27 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for your help

SarahB
I can't comment on what you can take into NZ, but the USA won't let any meat products or fresh veg/fruit etc in. However, my in-laws, (who arrived in the US 4 days ago), have brought half of Tesco's with them We are now swimming in biscuits, chocolate, a HUGE tin of "Quality Street", sweets, custard powder, angel delight.......the list goes on. Not quite sure how they managed to fit any clothes into their suitcases, but we are mighty glad they are such good packers. We are going to have a great christmas
Old Dec 19th 2005, 5:06 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Cheers for your help

SarahB
A year's supply of the pill?
Old Dec 19th 2005, 11:38 pm
livewire

and Piriton, or any other effective antihistamines.

Old Dec 20th 2005, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bookemjano
A year's supply of the pill?
LOL.... yep... and some more cupboard locks and a couple of safes to keep Shorty away from things he shouldnt have!
Old Dec 20th 2005, 12:58 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Do you ever watch that airport programme on tv cos going by that you can mostly bring in anything you want as long as it's for your own personal use. I think fresh fruit and meat would be a no no but anything in a can or sealed might be ok.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sky
Do you ever watch that airport programme on tv cos going by that you can mostly bring in anything you want as long as it's for your own personal use. I think fresh fruit and meat would be a no no but anything in a can or sealed might be ok.
Yeah sometimes.. OK we will check first and then its back to the list!!
Old Dec 20th 2005, 7:22 am
Just Joined

sadie33138 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: What can they bring?

Yeah sometimes.. OK we will check first and then its back to the list!!
I made a trip home to the US from NZ in October & brought back a lot of my favorite things to eat. Nothing fresh. Lots of packaged cookies, bottled salad dressing, hot pepper sauce, my favorite instant coffee, generic equal,(coffee & equal verrrrry expensive here) stuff like that. What I did was put all food products in one suitcase with an inventory sheet and a copy of that inventory with my plane ticket. On the Passenger Arrival form you fill out on the plane that asks if you have any food products, I checked yes and when I clearned NZ immigration and got to the customs line, I gave the form to the Customs Officer and showed him my inventory list. He looked at it, asked me if I had any fresh meat, egg or fruit products and when I said no, he just sent me on to put my bags through the x-ray machine as usual and then I was out the door.

You can find a list of things that are not allowed here:
http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/personal-travel-belongings-and-mail/arriving-by-air
(Also, don't bring dried beans as they are considered seeds, unless you want to pay $$$ to have them heat treated)
Old Dec 20th 2005, 7:37 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

My Mum brought us about a years supply of super strength 'Yorkshire Tea Bags' - now I can have a flippin brilliant cuppa.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 7:40 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biddy
My Mum brought us about a years supply of super strength 'Yorkshire Tea Bags' - now I can have a flippin brilliant cuppa.
Did you try Dilmah, it's lovely tea
Old Dec 20th 2005, 7:46 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
Did you try Dilmah, it's lovely tea
Not yet Sky - I'll try it when the Yorkshires run out Ta.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 8:02 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Friends mum and dad brought over haggis with them last year for new years eve. Customs didnt bat an eye haha

ps I hate haggis it was for our Kiwi mates who bloody loved they stuff

pps i used to get my mum to post me decent cotton knickers