British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   What can I realistically get through customs? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-can-i-realistically-get-through-customs-332335/)

Stevemw Oct 19th 2005 11:50 am

What can I realistically get through customs?

Hi, I'm new to this forum, though I've been lurking for quite a while. We have our visas approved and are planning to move to Christchurch once we have sold our house here in the UK.
I know that there are many restrictions on what I can bring with me, but I have a real houseful of stuff that would sell for very little but cost a fortune to replace in NZ e.g.

- two tents
- loads of power and hand tools (I've renovated 2 houses and built a kit car so that should give you some idea) including a compressor, all quite dusty
- a good quality lawnmower, a chainsaw, 2 hedgetrimmers, a shredder and assorted spades, forks etc.
- 2 vacuum cleaners

I guess if I took all of this then customs would want to fumigate at least some of it. Does anybody have any experience of how much they charge for this? I can't find anything on their website. If it was only say NZD200 then it would clearly be worth paying.

Cheers,
Steve

ukkiwi Oct 19th 2005 1:58 pm

Re: What can I realistically get through customs?

Originally Posted by Stevemw
Hi, I'm new to this forum, though I've been lurking for quite a while. We have our visas approved and are planning to move to Christchurch once we have sold our house here in the UK.
I know that there are many restrictions on what I can bring with me, but I have a real houseful of stuff that would sell for very little but cost a fortune to replace in NZ e.g.

- two tents
- loads of power and hand tools (I've renovated 2 houses and built a kit car so that should give you some idea) including a compressor, all quite dusty
- a good quality lawnmower, a chainsaw, 2 hedgetrimmers, a shredder and assorted spades, forks etc.
- 2 vacuum cleaners

I guess if I took all of this then customs would want to fumigate at least some of it. Does anybody have any experience of how much they charge for this? I can't find anything on their website. If it was only say NZD200 then it would clearly be worth paying.

Cheers,
Steve

Not sure if you'd fit all that in your luggage :D

Seriously there's threads around on this subject, do a search for MAF. I dont think its a problem as long as its been properly cleaned - also try some of the other NZ forums.

NZ Climber Oct 19th 2005 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Stevemw

- two tents
- 2 vacuum cleaners

Cheers,
Steve

You will have to clean absolutely everything, especially anything that is muddy, dusty, or has come into contact with vegetation. We shipped all our power tools and didn't have an issue and the missus shipped her MTB (after cleaning it extremely thoroughly) and we shipped two tents, all our climbing gear etc etc. They checked a bunch of it but once they'd seen the cleanliness of the MTB they really weren't that worried. The only thing that got taken away to be fumigated was a bongo drum (cos it had an animal skin on it, obviously). We also had wooden masks and other wooden stuff that they weren't worried about at all.

One thing to remember, when cleaning stuff off, remember to remove things like hoover bags (or in your case, dust extraction systems) and get rid of what's inside, we know people that have come a cropper because of forgetting that!

Basically, don't try to sneak anything through and be up front. If you clean it all, you'll be fine.

Stevemw Oct 19th 2005 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by NZ Climber
You will have to clean absolutely everything, especially anything that is muddy, dusty, or has come into contact with vegetation. We shipped all our power tools and didn't have an issue and the missus shipped her MTB (after cleaning it extremely thoroughly) and we shipped two tents, all our climbing gear etc etc. They checked a bunch of it but once they'd seen the cleanliness of the MTB they really weren't that worried. The only thing that got taken away to be fumigated was a bongo drum (cos it had an animal skin on it, obviously). We also had wooden masks and other wooden stuff that they weren't worried about at all.

One thing to remember, when cleaning stuff off, remember to remove things like hoover bags (or in your case, dust extraction systems) and get rid of what's inside, we know people that have come a cropper because of forgetting that!

Basically, don't try to sneak anything through and be up front. If you clean it all, you'll be fine.

Thanks. It sounds like your situation was pretty similar to ours - we even have two bongo drums! The thought of cleaning it all is sapping my will to live - I think I'll wait until we have an offer on the house to spur me on a bit.
Cheers,
Steve

Stevemw Oct 19th 2005 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by NZ Climber
....we shipped two tents, all our climbing gear etc etc.....

Should also have mentioned that that I also have climbing gear to ship over, and a pair of mountaineering skis. I'm getting a bit old and fat to do any more serious rock or ice climbing, but some high level scrambling should be on the cards.
What is the Kiwi climbing mountaineering scene like? From what little I've read it all seems a bit regulated.
Is there much ski-mountaineering going on?
Cheers,
Steve