Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What can I do for now?

What can I do for now?

Old Oct 14th 2008, 6:53 am
Just Joined

its me is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What can I do for now?

I would like to explain our situation to everyone in the hope of some good old fashion NZ advice.

I am Susan (39) work doing business accounts and office for our own company. I have worked for 2 years in accounts back in England - studied and passed my level 2 with the AAT. Richard - OH (46) does plumbing/heating. He has done this all his life and is our company here. By the way, here is France. We moved here in April 2006 thinking it would be life changing, big mistake. France is a lovely place and the French people are wonderful. The English are very bitchy and very unhelpful. Also, I need to carry on my studies for accounting but due to the language is proving impossible.
So, I have joined this forum and for 2-3 months now have been looking into NZ.
I have read so many different ways of getting into NZ in the first instance. So far OH has applied over the web for work. Our house in on the market in France and we have no ties (well 1 dog)
I have read that going to NZ to look for work is a good option - but business is very busy here at the moment, so that is a no go area. But Richard has no problem in going for interviews. Also, others have said to sell up-pack up and ship out? Is that really possible? and does it work in the long run?
I know for me to study that I can work for 20 hr p/w. I am at the moment in email discussion with NZICA for college info and the level I need to join so it does not effect my membership.

Does anybody have any advice that can help in our situation -Obviously, we need to sell our property and France is as slow as England at the moment.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 10:09 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: What can I do for now?

HHmm. Given the way the property market is ,I'd say sell your property first . Meanwhile save up those Euros.

Once you know you are free to come , blitz the plumbing industry here with your OH's CV and try to have several interviews lined up if you can. At least you will be free to give an NZ employer a realistic start date . When you do finally have a job offer , then both you and the employer will need to apply for a PGDB limited licence for him. His work will be supervised and signed off by an NZ registered plumber.

You may want to start the ball rolling with the PGDB. I have the link on another post to you. Your OH will need to have his plumbing/gasfitting quals assessed by the PGDB. $400 NZD. He will need to know he is eligible to taken the PGDB, 4 day, registration assessment and exams. $3500 NZD. NZIS will also want to know that the PGDB consider him to be of a comparable standard and eligible to do the PGDB registration.

You should check what the rules are about bringing your dog into NZ. Dogs from the UK that have not been in prior quarantine are not required to be confined or go into quarantine here once they have been cleared by MAF.
Check with MAF about the rules for dogs coming from France. I think there will be a confinement period . It is to do with Rabies. Also, start getting quotes from animal exporters. Same for shipping your worldly possessions.

If you did have a job offer and had sold your house, you could always come in on a temporary work visa so you arrive a bit quicker . An NZ employer would want the prospective employee to start sooner rather than later of course. You could then put in your EOI etc from here in NZ. One advantage is that although there are costs involved in applying for the temp work visa, costs for medicals etc are far cheaper.

Coming to NZ for face to face interviews is a good idea. Employers and employee should both know what they are getting. It is also a way to make sure you get a living rate of pay. You need to haggle for that extra dollar.

It is perfectly possible to sell up and arrive in NZ on visitors visas, your OH to find work as a plumber and then apply for temporary work permits to allow you to stay here and work.
Make sure of the PGDB assessment outcome first & think about the dog. You may not be able to send for him/her until you have a valid work permit.
Same with a container of your possessions. It wouldn't be wise to send for that until you had a valid work permit in place. Containers can take 6 weeks to arrive.

Of course , that could all gell quite well, whilst you get yourselves settled into a rental that allows dogs and start work.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 15th 2008 at 10:12 pm.