Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What to buy to take over?

What to buy to take over?

Old Aug 26th 2008, 9:47 am
Just Joined

Mattyk is a jewel in the roughMattyk is a jewel in the roughMattyk is a jewel in the roughMattyk is a jewel in the roughMattyk is a jewel in the rough
Default What to buy to take over?

Hi,

My wife and I are coming over next month, and we are shipping our house contents over. My question is we are bringing everything we can, but what would you recommend that we stock up on that's relatively cheap over here (England) compared to NZ. And I'm talking like clothes, trainers, electrical goods, or any other basic items that you think are silly prices over there??

Thanks for your time.

Old Aug 26th 2008, 11:31 am
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to buy to take over?

Originally Posted by Mattyk
Hi,

My wife and I are coming over next month, and we are shipping our house contents over. My question is we are bringing everything we can, but what would you recommend that we stock up on that's relatively cheap over here (England) compared to NZ. And I'm talking like clothes, trainers, electrical goods, or any other basic items that you think are silly prices over there??

Thanks for your time.

Very hard to say, some things much cheaper here. Quality at a reasonable price is sometimes lacking here and a lot of elecrical goods overpriced (mobile phones !). I am sure everyone is different but after being here 3 years and recently having a holiday in UK there was not anything I desperately had to bring back with me. Had planned huge shopping trip but came back with few clothes and a new phone ,ending up spending my saved pounds back in NZ on lots of nice clothes here.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

It is silly really as you soon forget what is cheap and what is dear in UK. I would agree that the mobile phones are better in the UK. Make sure if you buy a vodafone you get it unlocked to work here. We only have vodafone with a sim card and telecom who don't have a sim card and telstra clear. For me personally I miss the M & S clothes although there are very nice ladies shops to buy that sort of stuff in it is not as good quality. I used to think linen was great in the UK but the thread count of sheets you can get here is great. Lots of Eqyptian Cotton stuff. Can be a but pricey though. Also a tip to remember is the size of beds in the UK are one size down here so a king size bed in the UK is a Queen here so if you need to stock up on sheets and duvet covers make sure you get the right size. We had a big super king bed in the UK and got super king duvet sets and sheets but here there are plain old King Size so that can get a bit confusing sometimes. I automatically reach for super king and realise that is a bigger size again!!

If you buy nice trainers there and have a favourite then bring more as they can get pricey here too for good quality ones.

There are a few English shops dotted around the country. Johnsons in Chch is a bit like Ronnie Barkers shop in Open All Hours, tins and tins of stuff on groaning shelves - I expect a lot of it will be out of date!! It is surprising how soon you forget what you used to eat and eat what is available. The one thing I don't like is only being able to buy fruit that is in season here. Not like all the exotic fruits available all year round in the UK in winter. We brought our TV and ended up giving it away to someone to play games on as even with Sky we could not get a picture only sound. We ended up buying a new one here, but saying that our flat screen portable TV that we brought with us works fine. Just need to put on NZ plugs for all your electrical stuff. I would say if there is any luxury you like buying in the UK then buy more as it will most likely be better quality. Hope I haven't rambled too much!!
Old Aug 26th 2008, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Buy lots of books if you enjoy reading, they are horrendously expensive. Also DVD's.
Shoes are expensive, so buy them in the UK.
Men's clothes shops are ok here but Mrs. V reliably informs me that shopping for women's clothes is a nightmare, especially if you're a size 14+. Awful styles & poor quality. From buying a new item of clothing every week in the UK, she now only buys something every 3 or 4 mths
Old Aug 27th 2008, 12:53 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Rotary washing line!!!!

I priced a new one the other day in Mitre 10, $347!!!!!!

Just about got over the shock. Anyone coming to Marlborough soon??????
Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:58 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Buy lots of books if you enjoy reading, they are horrendously expensive....
....or join your local kiwi library

AA batteries. Bring millions of the little buggers. The ones we buy here can only power our kitchen clock for a few days, don't know why.
Also, remember to join your airmiles scheme if you can, we just got a free ipod and a digi camera from our recce with Qantas a few years back.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
....or join your local kiwi library

AA batteries. Bring millions of the little buggers. The ones we buy here can only power our kitchen clock for a few days, don't know why.
Also, remember to join your airmiles scheme if you can, we just got a free ipod and a digi camera from our recce with Qantas a few years back.
I joined the local library but they are very slow to have new titles & I read very fast, so wasn't feasible for me. I get most of my books from amazon or from Whitcoulls (friends with a member of staff who gives me staff discount ).
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:44 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Best places for books as long as you don't mind 2nd hand are:
Op shops
Library sales
Garage sales
Fundraisers at the local community hall type thing

My wife is a compulsive 'book searcher' and has built up a library of well over 200 novels from the above for roughly 20c - $1 each.

I've gor 5 years worth of reading on my bookshelf alone!

(Never buy new I say)
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Biddy
Best places for books as long as you don't mind 2nd hand are:
Op shops
Library sales
Garage sales
Fundraisers at the local community hall type thing

My wife is a compulsive 'book searcher' and has built up a library of well over 200 novels from the above for roughly 20c - $1 each.

I've gor 5 years worth of reading on my bookshelf alone!

(Never buy new I say)
But I love the smell of new books. There's just something about a new book
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:18 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
But I love the smell of new books. There's just something about a new book
But is it worth spending $30 - $40 though?
Can't you just buy 1 new book and smell that repeatedly?
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Biddy
But is it worth spending $30 - $40 though?
Can't you just buy 1 new book and smell that repeatedly?
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:23 am
Account Closed

I don't spend that much Biddy, I hunt around for bargains/special offers & using Amazon is much cheaper even with the p&p (we still have a bank account in the UK so pay in £).

Occasionally parents send us the odd book.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Yes I would agree the price of books here is no laughing matter, they have gst @12.5% on them which does not help, I believe in Britain they are VAT exempt.

I am a collector of cook books and make the most amazing finds at school galas.

I believe buying them in from Amazon in the US can save money even when you take postage into account but I have not done it myself.

If you are a shopaholic you may struggle with life in NZ, I have had the disease beaten out of me and are now calm and serene, just enjoying the good weather but still working hard!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

pumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by janek
Yes I would agree the price of books here is no laughing matter, they have gst @12.5% on them which does not help, I believe in Britain they are VAT exempt.

I am a collector of cook books and make the most amazing finds at school galas.

I believe buying them in from Amazon in the US can save money even when you take postage into account but I have not done it myself.

If you are a shopaholic you may struggle with life in NZ, I have had the disease beaten out of me and are now calm and serene, just enjoying the good weather but still working hard!
I am a bit of a shopaholic. Never need anything I buy. (and can rarely afford it!!) I have been panic buying before we leave in October, anyone would think NZ don't have any shops lol!! I even bought a lovely new winter coat, despite having 3 already, and my hubby laughed and said you won't even get to wear it for a year so I sent it back!! I hope like you I get cured when i'm living Down Under!! Have stocked up on Asda duvet covers and towels, that sort of thing which is really cheap here.

Lou
xxxxx
Old Aug 29th 2008, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkinlou
I am a bit of a shopaholic. Never need anything I buy. (and can rarely afford it!!) I have been panic buying before we leave in October, anyone would think NZ don't have any shops lol!! I even bought a lovely new winter coat, despite having 3 already, and my hubby laughed and said you won't even get to wear it for a year so I sent it back!! I hope like you I get cured when i'm living Down Under!! Have stocked up on Asda duvet covers and towels, that sort of thing which is really cheap here.

Lou
xxxxx
Do you know I never wore a coat the first winter here in the South Island even and only ever wore my fleece and a scarf. I do miss the cheap duvet covers and stuff at Asda but we have a lovely store here called Briscoes which do lovely stuff too. As do Farmers and Ballantynes etc. The best thing is when you go shopping for food it only takes about 40 mins. Used to take me a couple of hours in Asda by the time I looked at all the alternatives to food!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.