Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What to Bring ........ various packing questions!

What to Bring ........ various packing questions!

Old Dec 15th 2013, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

smileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nice
Default What to Bring ........ various packing questions!

Watch out NZ ... we are on our way ...... well, almost on our way! Visas are done and my husband is just waiting to find out what flight his new company are booking him on - he starts work in Devonport on 20 January.

Me and our boys are coming out for a holiday for 2 weeks at Easter and then coming proper at the end of July when I finish my contract at the school I'm working in. By then our dogs will be ready to go too.

So... it's going to be a tricky time .. but we've lived apart before, when my job took me abroad for 9 months a few years ago. So, we are looking at it in terms of short term pain for longer term gain.

But our next hurdle is packing!!! I've searched on here and read quite a bit about items that people recommend bringing - but wondered if anyone has any views on the following:

Home computer: we bought ours relatively recently - we've gone back to having a desktop rather than a laptop. I'm loath to leave it behind as it is so new (probably about 4 months old) - but will it survive the change in electricity arrangements - I don't want to lug it half way around the world to plug it in and watch it go up in a plume of smoke.

The same question about our washing machine - less than a year old and one of the large capacity ones (it plays a tune and everything ) - if we leave it in our UK house I'm worried it will be more trouble than it's worth if tenants break it - at least if we don't leave white goods here we won't be responsible for fixing any! But again, don't want to lug it all the way here just to watch it go up in flames!

Dishwasher and American style fridge freezer - same question.

We will be renting in NZ, at least initially and most rentals seems to have white goods included - but we could store them in a garage maybe? Not sure what to do with them!

On the subject of 'new' goods being brought over - a little while ago we spotted a bargain and bought a single 'high' bed for our 3 year old - one of those with storage underneath. But, at the moment he is still in his cot bed (although growing out of it fast now!). So the single bed is still in it's boxes in our spare room. Do we need to unpack it and put it together to avoid being taxed on a 'new' bed being brought in? Seems a bit daft to unpack it, assemble it and then have to take it apart again for the packers to re-pack it for moving. Don't know what to do for the best

And, last question, for now - I'm a bit of a 'hoarder' of bathroom essentials (shower gel, shampoo etc) - not helped by the fact that I've been working part-time in Boots (large chain of chemists) with very generous staff discount. Do I have to use up all my 'store cupboard' stock or can I box it up and put it in our container?

I'm sure I'll think of a thousand more questions before I'm through ....

Very excited about our big adventure
Old Dec 15th 2013, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

Purrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to Bring ........ various packing questions!

Definitely take the computer. Mains voltage is more or less the same in New Zealand i.e. 220-240v. All you'll need to do is to swap plugs on it and any other home appliances you take. The thing about computers is that they lose their value so quickly, so if you've just purchased it, may as well hang onto it. And take any wireless routers and peripherals with you as well.

Not sure about the other household appliances. I have a hunch that most people here would tell you to take them. They won't go up in flames, but you may find that, depending on the brands, that there might be other issues to bear in mind, for instance, servicing and parts... and maybe some local plumbing things to consider. Any extended warranties probably won't be valid, either.

Not sure about the bed, suspect you'll be ok taking it, but def. stock up and take all your Boots swag, for sure.

Edit: And before you pack up the PC or Mac, make sure all your valuable data is backed up on a couple of external hard drives, one of which, if it was me, I'd take in my personal luggage in the airplane cabin. Or if you don't have a lot of data, unlike me with five flipping terabytes, maybe copy what you have: music, photos, documents or whatever, onto some DVDs or USB drives.

Last edited by Purrball; Dec 15th 2013 at 10:56 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

TAKE IT ALL!!!!!

All electricals work as the voltage is the same. Even my GHD straighteners work, which is the true test! hahahah. My washer works, fridge works, dish washer works, tumble dryer works, it all works. You may struggle with parts as it grows older but still bring it as white goods are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO expensive here!!

The only thing we had trouble with was our printer (HP model with scanner) we were told we couldn't bring the cartridges, not even as new ones. When we plugged it in here, in order to convert it to NZ cartridges (which have diff model numbers) we also need the old ones. Therefore, We had to buy another new printer (which is identical!) and the UK one is defunk! (but still works, however would be too expensive to post back). I wish I had known, and I would have given it to my Dad!

as for lotions and potions, box and ship them all, I did!!

When it comes to wicker /cane furniture, as long as it is treated (which it probably will be) then it can come. Some shipping companies (like ours) will argue that it can't. We challenged that and simply got confirmation from immigration.

As for the new Bed, make sure it doesn't look new and is't still wrapped, or you will get taxed, yes!

Good luck!

Last edited by M_and_M; Dec 15th 2013 at 11:08 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 11:56 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

An absolute no brainer

BRING EVERYTHING!!!!!

Seriously, it gives you so much more opportunities to play with

Not sure what your plans are (rent or buy) when your over, nor do I know what the market is like around the Devonport area but you'll certainly get better rates and places unfurnished (if decide to rent) than furnished. Count your blessings your not coming to Chri.... no its nearly christmas so I'll refrain from ranting - *takes big deep breaths*

Might cost you a fair bit to bring over but it'll only take 1 year to make up the costs against your expenditure

Also, things are quite pricey to buy here
Old Dec 16th 2013, 1:51 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Bring everything. We did. Well, apart from the junk that got ditched in the big clear out prior to moving.

Our packers asked us to remove the natural pine cones from our artificial Christmas tree before they packed it.

On move day, mouse droppings were found in our fridge freezer in the garage. So I took the blasted fridge freezer to our local dump there and then !

Your large fridge freezer might not fit into the kitchen space allocated. It was nothing more than luck that our standard size one did in the house we purchased. In the couple of places where we rented, in NZ, we were lucky that the fridge freezer just went free standing in a convenient place in the kitchen.

As has been mentioned, 'white goods' are horrendously expensive in NZ.

If any accommodation rentals say that they have got fridge/freezer etc in situ, just check that this is correct and that they work, when you view the property. If you are used to what you have, you will find it jarring not to have the use of it. Ask if the existing fridge/freezer, washing m/c can be moved. (So that yours doesn't get dirty by storing it in the garage and you also get the use of it)

If the only place to plumb in your washing machine in is in the garage, yes really, you will have your eyes opened to the, 'delights' of having a laundry. You would describe it as a utility room, usually but not always, adjacent to the kitchen. However, if there's nowhere in the kitchen to put your washing machine, it's because the taps for the washing machine are in the garage. I mean directly in the garage, not a utility room at the end of the garage. I kid you not. The second rental we had in NZ had this arrangement. My sister in law who lives in Auckland had her washing machine plumbed in, in the garage of the house they lived in for ten years. That's where she did the family laundry. Not least, she could hang the washing out in the garage when it rained.

I refuse to hang my clean laundry out in our garage. I can't bear the thought of fresh, clean laundry getting dust and grime and engine oil smells on it. We've got a rotary drier in our back garden.

IIRC the house we rented in Christchurch, the taps for the washing machine were in a kitchen cupboard, all plumbed in. The cupboard door was closed when the washing machine was not in use. I don't know if washing machines need to be hidden away like a shameful secret in Christchurch.

Oh, btw, they are obsessed with cold water feed, top loading washing machines in New Zealand. On boxes of laundry detergent you will see the initials TL or FL. TL for top loading. FL for front loading. I thought it was a marketing gimmick. Apparently not. Get the two confused and you have a bubble factory on your hands doing your washing !

Last edited by Snap Shot; Dec 16th 2013 at 2:11 am. Reason: laundry
Old Dec 16th 2013, 2:35 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Bring everything. We did. Well, apart from the junk that got ditched in the big clear out prior to moving.

Our packers asked us to remove the natural pine cones from our artificial Christmas tree before they packed it.

On move day, mouse droppings were found in our fridge freezer in the garage. So I took the blasted fridge freezer to our local dump there and then !

Your large fridge freezer might not fit into the kitchen space allocated. It was nothing more than luck that our standard size one did in the house we purchased. In the couple of places where we rented, in NZ, we were lucky that the fridge freezer just went free standing in a convenient place in the kitchen.

As has been mentioned, 'white goods' are horrendously expensive in NZ.

If any accommodation rentals say that they have got fridge/freezer etc in situ, just check that this is correct and that they work, when you view the property. If you are used to what you have, you will find it jarring not to have the use of it. Ask if the existing fridge/freezer, washing m/c can be moved. (So that yours doesn't get dirty by storing it in the garage and you also get the use of it)

If the only place to plumb in your washing machine in is in the garage, yes really, you will have your eyes opened to the, 'delights' of having a laundry. You would describe it as a utility room, usually but not always, adjacent to the kitchen. However, if there's nowhere in the kitchen to put your washing machine, it's because the taps for the washing machine are in the garage. I mean directly in the garage, not a utility room at the end of the garage. I kid you not. The second rental we had in NZ had this arrangement. My sister in law who lives in Auckland had her washing machine plumbed in, in the garage of the house they lived in for ten years. That's where she did the family laundry. Not least, she could hang the washing out in the garage when it rained.

I refuse to hang my clean laundry out in our garage. I can't bear the thought of fresh, clean laundry getting dust and grime and engine oil smells on it. We've got a rotary drier in our back garden.

IIRC the house we rented in Christchurch, the taps for the washing machine were in a kitchen cupboard, all plumbed in. The cupboard door was closed when the washing machine was not in use. I don't know if washing machines need to be hidden away like a shameful secret in Christchurch.

Oh, btw, they are obsessed with cold water feed, top loading washing machines in New Zealand. On boxes of laundry detergent you will see the initials TL or FL. TL for top loading. FL for front loading. I thought it was a marketing gimmick. Apparently not. Get the two confused and you have a bubble factory on your hands doing your washing !
I can safely vouch this experience of making a huge error with tl and fl

Especially if you decide to read the instructions as I did. I thought the tl powder goes in the middle round thing first - ended up cloggint hat up and no washing carried out - ooops

Then the wife thinking TL means put it at the top puts it on top of the clothes on a dark load - I end up spending a whole day trying to clear the white powder stuck on my work trousers, it was not fun

Thankfuly one of our Kiwi friends told us where we were going wrong. Typical poms she said - looking back we laugh at it big time. It wasn't funny beforehand, trying to prevent going to work looking as if some bird had crapped on your shirt or trousers big time

By the way our laundry facilities are in the garage but we don't hang them out inside Oh gosh no, straight outisde onto the clothes line they go - unless it's chucking it down or cold and then its the dryer. I tend to try to avoid the dryer just to annoy Contact Energy. Can't help it in the winter mind
Old Dec 16th 2013, 2:44 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom1983
By the way our laundry facilities are in the garage but we don't hang them out inside Oh gosh no, straight outisde onto the clothes line they go - unless it's chucking it down or cold and then its the dryer. I tend to try to avoid the dryer just to annoy Contact Energy. Can't help it in the winter mind
My husband does not like tumble driers, he says they shorten the lifespan of clothes. I couldn't care less whether or not we have one. So, that was easy.

When it's raining or cold we put our washing out on two 'A - frames' in the spare room. There's a warm air vent into our linen cupboard so it acts like an airing cupboard in the winter when the heat pump is on.

(I will live like it's the first world, I will, I will, I just will !)
Old Dec 16th 2013, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

In the garage!? Not in southhland! Here, the laundry / washing machine plumbing (which is dead simple to do yourself, by the way) is in the room next to the kitchen. In my rental it was a small space which had a single toilet off it. It my house I bought its a room next door to the kitchen, and has tumble dryer (which we have not used as yet!) and the washing machine - but also a toilet and shower. That is not unusual here in Southland. I was quite freaked out by it at first, but for me the asking machine is IN the house! )

I air A frame dry the laundry, if I can't hang it out. I am lucky I have a covered and uncovered outside line also. I also have not yet used my dishwasher either!

The fridge - yep, ours was too tall for the fridge space. In the rental the fridge was also in the laundry(!) and when we bought, we had to remove a cupboard above the fridge space, so we could put it into the kitchen.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

marooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud of

I would recommend bringing everything. With your desktop etc, we brought our power tower with surge protection - really useful - also meant we only had to change one plug, and kept everything else plugged into that. Ditto bringing uk plugboards and just changing the one plug on the end. Bring your vacuum cleaner too!
also, I don't know if anyone else has said - but take the drum off the something or other in your washing machine, and pack it around with blankets or the drum rolls around and dents the casing (ours did!). Someone will know the precise info!
Toasters, kettles - I'd bring those too - of course you can buy them here, but as with everything, if it's cheap it will fall apart within hours / weeks/ months, and if its decent quality it will really cost you.
And bring clothes and shoes for the kids for the next few years - you won't regret it when you see the price / quality on offer here!
If I had spare cash / space, i would bring lots of cheap and cheerful rugs and small stylish / cute furniture items from IKEA, use them and then sell them on again. We've just had a clear out and got silly money for old kids ikea stuff that has seen better days.
Ibuprofen, hair dyes, stuff like that all quite pricey here - worth bringing a small stock.
Don't mean to sound to negative about NZ, but a shopper's paradise it certainly is not!!

Fill the crate!!!
Old Dec 16th 2013, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Re the washing machine, you should have had some transportation bolts that were unscrewed after it arrived. Just put them back in again, that will secure the drum.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 5:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Just bring everything you can if you have the space .
Old Dec 16th 2013, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

smileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nice

Wow - many thanks everyone - all really useful - looks like it's all coming along then

Very pleased today to discover that my 3 year old's favourite hobby - Rubytots - is available in NZ too. It's those little things that will, hopefully, make his transition easier.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 1:26 am
Just Joined

NatFergus is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we are recent arrivals to the North Shore of Auckland (Murrays bay only 10min north of devonport) and our shipment has just arrived from the UK. I agree with the other comments, bring what you can, things are a bit more expensive here and really everything can have a plug changed or use an adaptor
Some things I've learnt from shipping (we used AngloPacific): With your washer, they tell you to wash it out, drain and leave the door open overnight before they pack it...I would also reco that you remove the feet (they just unscrew), as although wrapped up we lost one of the feet (the movement on the ship means that over time the packaging was rubbed through, and the screw of the foot snapped off). Btw we had a new Bosch WM and is working fine on an adaptor.
I also brought lots of toiletries (I worked for the company that owns Gillette) it was fine, although the shipping company wouldn't let me bring the aerosol ones !
Do try to scan photos/make digital copies/upload CDs etc....we ran out of time and unfortunately all our CDs were 'lost' on the way...just glad it wasn't the photo albums
When you get here there are a couple of really good websites (which you may already know) trademe and meetup. Also as we are not far from where you are moving to, feel free to get in touch if you want advice or a friendly face
Old Dec 28th 2013, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Don't always take the shipping company's word for things. They told us we couldn't take cane furniture, we could because it was treated. They told us we couldn't bring Gatorade (I had lots from a previous sponsorship deal) I have away half before challenging it with immigration and discovering I could have brought it all.

As for plugs, get them from mitre ten and change them yourself, it isn't hard!
Old Dec 30th 2013, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the tips - all very gratefully received

The moving man came round last Friday and surveyed our piles of sh... whoops, sorry, I mean our valuable and very attractive belongings!!

Hopefully the quote will be here tomorrow - the company are paying and have given an upper limit of $10,000 - so we might need to trim our belongings to fit within that ... we have a hit list!!

Just another quick question .... when we've travelled abroad before we have vacuum sealed our toiletries using one of those vacuum sealing machines (yes, I know, it was a bit over the top - but we'd got the machine for mass mailing out of homemade dog biscuits - as you do! So we were after vacuum sealing everything that wasn't nailed down)!!

Obviously, the toiletries we pack won't be subject to changes in air pressure like they would if on an aircraft - is it worth vacuum sealing anything liquid (shampoo etc) - are things prone to leakage whilst being moved by container?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.