British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   What to bring in our hold luggage - 2x23kg allowance each! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-bring-our-hold-luggage-2x23kg-allowance-each-747085/)

moonspinning Feb 1st 2012 10:44 pm

What to bring in our hold luggage - 2x23kg allowance each!

Would love some advice from those who have already trodden the emigration path....

We have a ginormous allowance of 2 bags x 23kg per person!! So was wondering what you would suggest we bring with us, rather than buy in NZ/wait on the shipping container to bring. Might pack a few clothes ;) and some toys for the kids (5y and nearly 3y) a few towels and some camping gear.

Am sure someone will say 'the kitchen sink' , so am going to get that in first myself :lol:

MrsFychan Feb 1st 2012 11:31 pm

Re: What to bring in our hold luggage - 2x23kg allowance each!

plastic plates, cups, some cutlery. sun screen. sun hats, cardigans.
batteries, holdalls for when you want to take stuff down the beach.

Do you have a rental set up?

moonspinning Feb 1st 2012 11:48 pm

Hi Mrs F,

We have a 3 week short term rental, then out to fight (from what I've read in the NZ Herald recently!) for a rental for the longer term.

Great to hear your PR is approved now too!

x

Justcol Feb 1st 2012 11:49 pm

an iron

theghostofdustybin Feb 2nd 2012 12:42 am

Originally Posted by moonspinning (Post 9879129)
Would love some advice from those who have already trodden the emigration path....

We have a ginormous allowance of 2 bags x 23kg per person!! So was wondering what you would suggest we bring with us, rather than buy in NZ/wait on the shipping container to bring. Might pack a few clothes ;) and some toys for the kids (5y and nearly 3y) a few towels and some camping gear.

Am sure someone will say 'the kitchen sink' , so am going to get that in first myself :lol:

46kg per person.... I still don't think i own that much stuff....

spiderpig Feb 2nd 2012 1:59 am

Originally Posted by theghostofdustybin (Post 9879264)

moonspinning what airline are you traveling with to allow you that much luggage, or did you pay extra?

MrsFychan Feb 2nd 2012 2:22 am

Originally Posted by moonspinning (Post 9879206)
Hi Mrs F,
Great to hear your PR is approved now too!x

Thanks, now just have to submit passports and wait or go down and smile nicely and see if they will do it on the spot.

as for stuff to bring:

Cooking utensils, tin opener, bottle opener. Make sure you have enough towels for beach trips, general day to day and when their in the wash.
Toothpaste, deodorant, mossie spray, paracetamol, ibuprofen, travel sickness tablets for kids, I used Joy Riders, Calpol sachets, plasters, antiseptic cream. wet wipes. reading books, plugs, english 4 gangs for when your stuff gets here and then you need the kiwi convertors to plug in.
Husband has managed to splice off some english plugs and put a kiwi plug on the 4 gangs. Screw drivers, wire strippers.

In hand luggage have a laptop that plays dvd's, especially kids one as we have found the telly we bought is to new to play through the rentals aerial and we would need to buy a box.

Family photo's as really do make a difference having a few up around you in a new place.

scrubbedexpat094 Feb 2nd 2012 2:30 am

Originally Posted by theghostofdustybin (Post 9879264)

:eek:

When we came out we were allowed 32kg x2 each & we still needed to bring an extra suitcase with us.(Air NZ charged us GBP50 for that :thumbup:)

I brought a set of stainless steel cutlery from M&S, 2 sets of towels, a few tea towels, a small bottle of Fairy Liquid (well I like it :p), a few kitchen utensils, a couple of recipe books. Loads of clothes & shoes.

OH & moi don't ever manage to travel light :o. Then we spend the holiday etc moaning that we packed too much stuff :lol:. But how do you know you're not going to need it :confused::)

theghostofdustybin Feb 2nd 2012 4:11 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 9879384)
:eek:

When we came out we were allowed 32kg x2 each & we still needed to bring an extra suitcase with us.(Air NZ charged us GBP50 for that :thumbup:)

I brought a set of stainless steel cutlery from M&S, 2 sets of towels, a few tea towels, a small bottle of Fairy Liquid (well I like it :p), a few kitchen utensils, a couple of recipe books. Loads of clothes & shoes.

OH & moi don't ever manage to travel light :o. Then we spend the holiday etc moaning that we packed too much stuff :lol:. But how do you know you're not going to need it :confused::)

If you dont have it you wont miss it. Easy.

jmh Feb 2nd 2012 6:37 am

I imagine you probably have this on the list but, digital camera chargers (and for other electronics like mp3 player. Your favourite coffee mug. It's so nice to have something of your own around when you are in a strange house.

I'd stock up on your fav bra and knickers. I have managed to find nice bras here now but it takes a while to get used to the different styles and sizing, especially if you have unusual sizing like me.

BevK Feb 2nd 2012 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by moonspinning (Post 9879129)

Its worthwhile telling the airline that you are booking your flights with that you are emigrating, as some will give you extra baggage allowance if you hold a valid residence visa. I flew with Singapore airlines and was allowed 40kg instead of 20kg. The rest of the family were given an extra 5kg each as a goodwill gesture because they all held NZ passports. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bev

scrubbedexpat094 Feb 2nd 2012 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by theghostofdustybin (Post 9879470)
If you dont have it you wont miss it. Easy.

But I was a Brownie & I was taught to be prepared;)

Persephone Feb 3rd 2012 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 9881010)

Well in that case you should be able to knock up a three course meal, entertainment and somewhere to sleep with little more than 2 empty tin cans, a match, a Stanley knife, some rope, a beret, a Brownie promise badge and a descant recorder.

moonspinning Feb 3rd 2012 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 9881010)

Me too. AND I hate spending money on things I already own, just don't have with me!

moonspinning Feb 3rd 2012 8:07 am

Originally Posted by spiderpig (Post 9879359)
moonspinning what airline are you traveling with to allow you that much luggage, or did you pay extra?

Air NZ, premium economy (allows 2x23kg).