Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What brands of white goods best to bring?

What brands of white goods best to bring?

Old Apr 26th 2008, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute
Default What brands of white goods best to bring?

Hi wanting to know what brand of white goods is best to bring i.e which ones are there in NZ and easy to get parts for if they break? Brands that spring to mind are zanussi,indesit,hotpoint,bosch. Are any of these popular or does NZ have a whole set of local brands?

Thanks in advance

Phyllis
Old Apr 26th 2008, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What brands of white goods best to bring?

Originally Posted by weejie
Hi wanting to know what brand of white goods is best to bring i.e which ones are there in NZ and easy to get parts for if they break? Brands that spring to mind are zanussi,indesit,hotpoint,bosch. Are any of these popular or does NZ have a whole set of local brands?

Thanks in advance

Phyllis
Bosch & Miele okay.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 10:26 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Main brands here are F&P/ Elba, Westinghouse (who are Electrolux) and Bosch.

I had my Bosch washing machine repaired just after we arrived with no problems

Look here to give you an idea on brands and prices

www.noelleeming.co.nz
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

allyanddan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Main brands here are F&P/ Elba, Westinghouse (who are Electrolux) and Bosch.

I had my Bosch washing machine repaired just after we arrived with no problems

Look here to give you an idea on brands and prices

www.noelleeming.co.nz
The appliances look very expensive compared to the UK - I mostly looked at the kitchen appliances and they seem nearly twice as much as the UK. Also the Dyson vaccuum cleaner is about 2.5 times as much as in Tesco, I think.

If we do make it over to NZ ever, we will have to bring everything with us. I think you would need more savings in NZ for 'just in case things break and need replacing' - we can pick up a decent microwave for about £35. I am worried about savings we bring over just being depleted due to day to day living expenses
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:12 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a bosch washing machine, daewoo fridge freezer, electrolux vaccum and hoover dishwasher. All from the UK. I like living on the edge.

When the dishwasher played up i practically called every home appliance repair dude in the yellow pages that cover my area. None of them wanted to work on 'an imported appliance'. The guy that did eventually come around couldnt understand why, reckoning the majority of minor parts are generic anyway. He said that if there was a major repair, you would be looking at shipping in the parts (or buying a new dishwasher).

If you are thinking about buying new for the container, dont forget customs will nab you for GST. So they need to have that 'lived in look'. Broccoli sprinkles in the freezer door seal, scaley milk patches in the fridge. That kinda thing.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 11:23 pm
sean n

sean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant future

We bought everything with us.We had a 20 ft container to fill and our theory was if it brakes down(which it will at some point) then we will buy new but until, we will use our UK models.All so far so good.White goods are very expensive for good quality here and it certainly will eat into any savings.we have just bought the oddments and thats expensive!!
Hope that helps.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 5:41 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

The powered form, in little plastic bags should be the best sort. Should get you enough cash get settled.. (best not to tell the chap at the airport though )
Old Apr 28th 2008, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamfish
If you are thinking about buying new for the container, dont forget customs will nab you for GST. So they need to have that 'lived in look'. Broccoli sprinkles in the freezer door seal, scaley milk patches in the fridge. That kinda thing.
Thanks we had already thought about that and were planning on doing a little distressed look to the goods before we put them in the container. Glad not the only one who thinks like that.

We are planning on leaving the white goods in the house when selling,hoping this might entice a few more people into looking at it hence the initial question. Thanks to all who have replied.

Phyllis
Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

hjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,
I brought over indesit washing machine and they have same model here so should be ok if anything goes wrong. Did panick with my miele vacum cleaner but no, they do them here too!