Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What a bloody disgusgting week!

What a bloody disgusgting week!

Old Oct 31st 2008, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default What a bloody disgusgting week!

I just dont know where to start! Last Friday morning at 1am I arrived in New York, wonderful layover... not! At 6.30 my daughter called me - she got voted in the school council, and they have their meetings at 7AM! Now when I am home its no problem, but lately I have been working my ass off - which means she has to walk to school. Again not a problem if it was still daylight but its not, its pitch black, so I make her call me as she leaves the house and talk to me the whole way to school! I obviously am bloody knackered as I have only been in bed about 4 and a half hours! Makes for a bad start. Why the hell they have these meetings at 7am is beyond me. Do they not realise that people have lives grrrr.
During the conversation she informs me that the son of friends of ours was killed in the early hours - a road accident. He was 17! Its a acumulation of events that I just cant get to grips with. The mother, lost her father in the summer after a battle with cancer, and she has had a terrible time coming to terms with it. The father, went to work a couple of weeks ago on weds to be told his company was closing the doors on Friday. As with any normal household nerves were frayed, and there had been a lot of stress within the family, the son steve, had constant arguments with dad - on the night in question it was 12.30 and he was racing home doing over 100 miles an hour because he knew he was in the shite without a seatbelt. Over corrected himself on a curve and monday night he was laying in a coffin in the church. So I got home on Monday and went straight to the church. The second funeral i have been to in my life. Funerals scare the living daylights out of me. Dead people - coffins, grief its something I cant handle. But it was the right thing to do because my husband was devastated and I knew he couldnt do it on his own.
WHy no seat belt? why was he driving so fast it just wasnt worth it. I came home and told kelly my daughter that I dont care how late she is, just call me let me know she is ok, and let me know when she will be home. She is going to be grounded, but by christ she is going to be alive!!!!
Then the week progresses. Were really busy at work. Merging with Delta! I am trying to put in as many hours as possible just incase they do layoffs at least my unemployment will be half decent. However, I am not getting to see hubby at all. I come home and he works, he gets time off and I work. I feel all I do is earn money for the kids to spend or to pay for stuff to be done to the house. And have no quality of life at all. All I do is work. Now I have only been married 2 years.Before single parent, always worked, close friends.. I get married for company, move here, always seem to be working so friends distant, What the hell is it all for? Husband is never around. He gets the plus, laundry is done, food is always in the cupboard, and now I pay the utilities and the basic house everyday bills, phone, insurance, utilities etc and so he has more money in his pocket. Me on the other hand .... does it get better. Tomorrow I am off to Germany. Whoooopie frigging do. Just fed up and peed off i suppose. The kids are off with their friends... Hubby is working and I just spent an hour walking around walmart.
3 months ago he said what are you doing tonight.. my answer. going to the cinema. Oh says he, why not wait till next week we can go together - three months later I am sure the movie will come out soon on video because I sure as hell still havent seen it in the cinema! I do not want to say too much because in this economy I should be glad were both working. But then i see that kid at 17 and its over - - - - where is the quality of life. Because who knows how much of a quantity were each going to get. ok sounded off.. enough...
Old Oct 31st 2008, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What a bloody disgusgting week!

Deedee - that sounds awful. I'm sorry you've had such a crap week, only to be off to Germany tomorrow. You're right that seeing bad things happen puts things into perspective. Are you able to slow down, even a little bit? Maybe a heart to heart with your husband so he can take a few of the chores from you?

Hang in there!
Old Oct 31st 2008, 1:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

A big hug for you......and all I can say is, I understand.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry your week was so rough... 17 is not an age to die!
I understand your frustration regarding your hubby... my hubby and I also work opposite shifts (although we 'pool' our money so that is not an issue) but it sometimes really stinks to be in 'hi dear, bye dear' relationship. When we do get a night off together we try to put everything else aside and make it family time and when the kids are to bed, him and me time . Its not always easy but like you said I am just thankful we are both working.

Hang in there girl, *hugs* to you
Old Oct 31st 2008, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

auntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud ofauntie_wolf has much to be proud of

Hi, I didn't want to read this and not at least say something. I am so sorry for the young boy who died. That is such a tragedy, and like you say..needless.
Why don't people wear seat belts? Something similar happened to my mom this summer. A friend of hers, the lady's sister was in an overcrowded van, no seatbelt..just a tragedy.

It sounds like you are having a tough time of things. My family can drive me nuts too. No real advice, other than a nice glass of something and a couple of good nights sleep.

I agree that 7 am is ridiculous!
Take care!

Last edited by auntie_wolf; Oct 31st 2008 at 5:06 am.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 11:33 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auntie_wolf
Hi, I didn't want to read this and not at least say something. I am so sorry for the young boy who died. That is such a tragedy, and like you say..needless.
Why don't people wear seat belts? Something similar happened to my mom this summer. A friend of hers, the lady's sister was in an overcrowded van, no seatbelt..just a tragedy.

It sounds like you are having a tough time of things. My family can drive me nuts too. No real advice, other than a nice glass of something and a couple of good nights sleep.

I agree that 7 am is ridiculous!
Take care!
I used to work with someone who was adamant that seat belts cause more injuries than they prevent.

Another ex-colleague lost his son a few years ago in the same way (although they don't really know what caused it - just that he went off the road into a tree), he still hasn't fully recovered from that but I have seen him recently and he seems a lot better than he was just a year ago. I just can't imagine the grief.

I took the job I have now because it involves less travel so I could spend more time at home. I was, and am, very lucky in that respect, and I hope things settle down for you.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 11:47 am
Curry Magnet

One Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant future

I do understand DeeDee, my wife and I hardly see each other.

She works in a store selling sleep number beds.

She works every weekend and half the evenings during the week. She may get a Sunday off every couple of months.

Holidays are 'Blackout' periods where she is not allowed to take any time off; the only time the store closes is Christmas Day and Thanksgiving (but opens at 5am on the Friday for Black F***ing Friday!

I start work around 7am so generally am in bed by 10 during the week so we might only get a few hours together a few evenings a week.

We do this, of course, because we have bills to pay. I get 10 days off a year and so does my wife.

In this part of Pennsylvania the main job opportunities are truck driving or wiping asses in care homes so my wife has to stick her job out.

America is a wonderful country but the bloody Protestant 'work ethic' means the average working person is living to work rather than working to live.

Last edited by One Hung Lo; Oct 31st 2008 at 12:23 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 12:19 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

One word.... Paragraphs ....
Old Oct 31st 2008, 12:23 pm
Curry Magnet

One Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant futureOne Hung Lo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ray
Happy now you miserable ****!!??

Old Oct 31st 2008, 12:50 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by One Hung Lo
Happy now you miserable ****!!??

Go piss in your tatty boots ...
Old Oct 31st 2008, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by One Hung Lo
I do understand DeeDee, my wife and I hardly see each other.

She works in a store selling sleep number beds.

She works every weekend and half the evenings during the week. She may get a Sunday off every couple of months.

Holidays are 'Blackout' periods where she is not allowed to take any time off; the only time the store closes is Christmas Day and Thanksgiving (but opens at 5am on the Friday for Black F***ing Friday!

I start work around 7am so generally am in bed by 10 during the week so we might only get a few hours together a few evenings a week.

We do this, of course, because we have bills to pay. I get 10 days off a year and so does my wife.

In this part of Pennsylvania the main job opportunities are truck driving or wiping asses in care homes so my wife has to stick her job out.

America is a wonderful country but the bloody Protestant 'work ethic' means the average working person is living to work rather than working to live.
When my daughter was born we worked different shifts so one of us could always be with her. We didn't see much of each other either because I had to work weekends. It is tough but she was safe and bonded equally with each of us, I went back to work when she was 3 weeks old.

Deedee - It is always painful to see a young life taken, my daughter has lost three friends. I suppose we just have to be thankful that there are cell phones so we can keep in touch with our kids much better. As for the cinema, we keep saying we have to see a movie there, but end up getting the video because we never did. Hope things get better soon.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

so sorry to hear you are having such a crappy time. My OH works away a lot so I know a little of how you feel. Please remember that he isn't a mind reader and men are notorious at not getting the signals we give them... not trying to stick up for him, but just trying to make your life a little easier. Tell him how you feel...if he still doesn't "get it" at least you tried
Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
i was on a roll... but will remember next time. I hardly came up for air if u didnt notice..
Old Oct 31st 2008, 9:32 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I used to work at Heathrow so I know how hard you work but I hope this cheers you up and shows you are appreciated.

Because of you and the people who work for your airline I get to see my two sons more than I would do otherwise. They fly out of MAN to AMS and then catch the flight to PDX it makes it easier for them and they can come more often. It doesn't compensate for the crappy week you've had but the hard work is appreciated by this family.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

unsociable hrs aren't so good for family life, i know i worked them for many yrs...luckily for me BA introduced the Mon-Fri option incl bank holidays off and i never looked back. maybe a ground job would be more suitable for you and your family life...good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.