Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What are the best things about living in NZ?

What are the best things about living in NZ?

Old Jul 30th 2009, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default What are the best things about living in NZ?

By contrast to 'what you would change about NZ' (always a good insight for those coming to be aware of the bits that irk us expats) .......what are the best bits?

Well for me its virtually empty. As are the beaches. The feeling of space, space, space..then some. The endless things to do in town and the Manawatu (our district).

Our wonderful home that we could never have dreamed of owning in the UK....ditto the neighbourhood..although we don't own that!!

My kids are having the very best upbringing I know I could give them. The contentment living here has bought me..inspite of all the problems we have encountered in the 4.5 years here.

The fact that skiing is only 200klms from my doorstep and takes just over 2 hours to get there..and when I do I have the most incredible 16k yourney up the mountain which is a national park.

Beach is only 35 mins away. Bloody great place NZ....would not want to be anywhere else. Which is nice.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 4:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are the best things about living in NZ?

You're just going for "Thread of the month" nominations aren't you Genesis

Old Jul 30th 2009, 4:59 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

The Beaches - mainly deserted and simply stunning.
The Weather - where we are much milder, drier and sunnier than where we were!
Summer Holidays - similiar to above - the long, hot, lazy days of Summer!
The People - love my friends, ex-colleagues, clients etc. An ecletic mix of Kiwi's, Brits, Ozzies and a few other nationalitites.
It's all just so much more "fun" which I know sounds cheesy, but that's how I sum it up!
Old Jul 30th 2009, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

my family time
long summers
The fact that it is so lush,
I can see all the beautiful lushness from my windows
20 minutes from the mountain if i fancy skiing
10-15 minutes from a handful of beaches which are nice and deserted
sunshine all year round even on a wet day
quiet roads
better roads to drive on. i.e less traffic jams
spending so much time out side
food shopping, i even enjoy that here
cheap nz wine mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
sitting out on my swing with said wine and a good book after dinner in the warm evenings
the fact that wee can affoard to build our own house here with land so cheap
the way people go out there way to help you here
scrapbooking
being so close to all the cool beautiful islands
we are living our dream
god i cant think , i just know that i love it here and never want to leave
Old Jul 30th 2009, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Chocolate Fish and Perky Nanas.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

omg how good are the choco fish, we give one with coffees in my work, some days i cant stop eating them lol just addictive.. other thing are the pineapple choco chunks mmmmmmmmmmm
Old Jul 30th 2009, 5:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Less people.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 6:15 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Where we live, our friends, summer, my garden, empty beaches, laid back, lots of time with my DH, our house, we're able to have lots and lots of animals because of all the space we have, cutting the grass, eating our own veggies and eggs, friendliness of the people, getting out on the water...
Old Jul 30th 2009, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Fewer people so more space
Better weather
Better access to coast, beaches
Major cities are in better part of the country (eg compare Auckland geography to London, Bristol to ChCh, Wellington to Manchester)
Old Jul 30th 2009, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Genesis
By contrast to 'what you would change about NZ' (always a good insight for those coming to be aware of the bits that irk us expats) .......what are the best bits?

Well for me its virtually empty. As are the beaches. The feeling of space, space, space..then some. The endless things to do in town and the Manawatu (our district).

Our wonderful home that we could never have dreamed of owning in the UK....ditto the neighbourhood..although we don't own that!!

My kids are having the very best upbringing I know I could give them. The contentment living here has bought me..inspite of all the problems we have encountered in the 4.5 years here.

The fact that skiing is only 200klms from my doorstep and takes just over 2 hours to get there..and when I do I have the most incredible 16k yourney up the mountain which is a national park.

Beach is only 35 mins away. Bloody great place NZ....would not want to be anywhere else. Which is nice.
Agree with what alot of what everyone has said.

I was at the post office yesterday and I had the pleasure of seeing a baby goat on a lead with a nappie on!! My kids were sqealing with delight!!!!
Old Jul 30th 2009, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Knowing that when we go out fishing, there will be a 90 % chance we'll be having fish for dinner.
The clear star filled night skies.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irish_eyes
Agree with what alot of what everyone has said.

I was at the post office yesterday and I had the pleasure of seeing a baby goat on a lead with a nappie on!! My kids were sqealing with delight!!!!
Awesome!!!! Seeing wild parakeets in my garden. Doing the Maori Ora course. My kids learning the maori lingo. The native birds..the fantail and the call of the morepork and the tui..the bell bird, all utterly marvelous.

Nice. Mummy being over 12000 miles away.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 10:47 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

OOps. I thought this was confined to the 'one thing' like the other thread.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by carolineshewan
my family time
long summers
The fact that it is so lush,
I can see all the beautiful lushness from my windows
20 minutes from the mountain if i fancy skiing
10-15 minutes from a handful of beaches which are nice and deserted
sunshine all year round even on a wet day
quiet roads
better roads to drive on. i.e less traffic jams
spending so much time out side
food shopping, i even enjoy that here
cheap nz wine mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
sitting out on my swing with said wine and a good book after dinner in the warm evenings
the fact that wee can affoard to build our own house here with land so cheap
the way people go out there way to help you here
scrapbooking
being so close to all the cool beautiful islands
we are living our dream
god i cant think , i just know that i love it here and never want to leave

Wow what a lovely post cant wait to get out there x
Old Jul 30th 2009, 12:20 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Can I answer? As a kiwi returning about what I was glad about - coffee. I wasn't a particular coffee expert by any means (no means...) and I actually prefer tea. But when I want a coffee I really want a coffee.

I was very pleased to get good options for coffee when I returned home. I was surprised when I went into just a McDonalds and 'accidentally' asked for a flat white, realised my 'mistake' and thought I would have to get filter.

The girl asked me if I wanted a large or small flat white.

At mcdonalds. Even mcdonalds had a range of coffees.

I was home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.