Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What are the best areas to live in around Aukland?

What are the best areas to live in around Aukland?

Old Feb 13th 2018, 8:59 am
Just Joined

Ianriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are the best areas to live in around Aukland?

So in your opinion, a commute that you donโ€™t do, would be perfectly fine, that would take around 2 hours on a good day during peak time, because you think a trip to the airport every now and again is ok. It took me an hour from east auckland to there today and that is close!
And the traffic is heavier where you are from. Where is that exactly? Los Angeles? China?
Old Feb 13th 2018, 9:02 am
Just Joined

Littlefeet225 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ianriv
So in your opinion, a commute that you donโ€™t do, would be perfectly fine, that would take around 2 hours on a good day during peak time, because you think a trip to the airport every now and again is ok. It took me an hour from east auckland to there today and that is close!
And the traffic is heavier where you are from. Where is that exactly? Los Angeles? China?
You have issues ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Old Feb 13th 2018, 9:04 am
Just Joined

Ianriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond reputeIanriv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Littlefeet225
You have issues ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Erm I think you have time judging issues but hey-ho. Maybe get a job near the airport and commute it before telling other people itโ€™s fine
Old Feb 13th 2018, 9:07 am
Just Joined

Littlefeet225 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ianriv
Erm I think you have time judging issues but hey-ho. Maybe get a job near the airport and commute it before telling other people itโ€™s fine
I never once mentioned commute ๐Ÿ™„
Your attitude is utterly disgusting. Letโ€™s leave it here!
Old Feb 13th 2018, 9:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Littlefeet225
I never once mentioned commute ๐Ÿ™„
Your attitude is utterly disgusting. Letโ€™s leave it here!
Err. Yes you really did!
Old Feb 13th 2018, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Ok i think we've all figured out that if you were to make a trip to the airport for holiday purposes, the journey from Orewa
isnt going to kill you, but if you were going to commute to the airport every day, it might be a bit of a mission.

BTW Orewa is a lovely place and there are plenty of work opportunities on the North Shore or the CBD that would be a reasonable commute from there

Happy Days, lets move on

Last edited by Justcol; Feb 13th 2018 at 9:40 am.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

If youre travelling to and from work in a car at a 9 to 5 job then the journey will be at a snails pace on much of the Auckland motorways. If you have to travel at say 10 am to 2.30 pm its 80 to 100 kph the whole way.From the city to airport via Waterview tunnel its actually pretty decently fast whenever ive done it including peak except for around the airport itself.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 9:56 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

So barring accidents etc on the route:

Blockhouse Bay to Browns Bay typically 07:00 departure - 40-50mins equating to 30-40kph avg speed.
Takapuna to Blockhouse Bay typically 17:00 departure - 45-60mins equating to 20-27kph avg speed.

Both routes over the Harbour Bridge. Both routes have elements of with and against the prevailing commuter tidal flow.

Yes there are slow sections but also faster ones.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

Livethedream1 is an unknown quantity at this point

We live on the Whangaparoa Peninsula, love it! My husband does have a ball ache of a commute but he is used to that from home so doesn't mind to live by the sea here.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

The best areas IMO are the Eastern and Inner suburbs. These generally have some of the best school zones, shops, commutes, public transport, cafes etc. But you pay for them, which is worth it IMO.

Greenlane
Epsom
Remuera
Parnell
Orakei
Kohimaramara
Glendowie
Meadowbank
Stonefields
St Heliers
Mission Bay
Mt Eden
Ponsonby
Grey Lynn
St Marys Bay
Herne Bay
Westmere
parts of Mt Albert
parts of Ellerslie and St Johns
Point Chev

Probably some good places in the endless suburbia that is Howick or the North Shore, but I'm not that familiar.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Probably some good places in the endless suburbia that is Howick or the North Shore, but I'm not that familiar.
Yes, Howick area is nice area, but I wouldn't want to commute to the CBD or North of the Harbour from here daily. Auckland traffic is simply horrendous (worse than any I've experienced in the UK) and gets worse annually, where we you work really defines the areas to look at for living.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
Auckland traffic is simply horrendous (worse than any I've experienced in the UK) and gets worse annually
It is a growing city. 800 extra vehicles registered every week on the Auckland area roads according to this article.
Traffic chaos: A third of Auckland's main roads will be congested by 2020 - NZ Herald