Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What are the best areas to live in around Aukland?

What are the best areas to live in around Aukland?

Old Feb 4th 2018, 11:24 am
Just Joined

snorman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What are the best areas to live in around Aukland?

Hi,
We are looking to move to somewhere around Aukland as hubby can find work there - what areas should we be looking at as a family of four with two children aged 5 and 7? Any pictures also welcome please! xx
Old Feb 4th 2018, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are the best areas to live in around Aukland?

Originally Posted by snorman
Hi,
We are looking to move to somewhere around Aukland as hubby can find work there - what areas should we be looking at as a family of four with two children aged 5 and 7? Any pictures also welcome please! xx
What area of work does your hubby perform?
What are you looking for? bush, beach, city fringe, modern estate/heritage
What budget?

www.realestate.co.nz
- choose Auckland under sales/rent then budget and drill down on different areas to get a feel

- Homes.co.nz insert the address and it gives you the main details ie price ranges previous sales and sqm of land and build.
- google to see views of streets
- Utube have the odd clip of journeys across different areas of Auckland / NZ
Old Feb 4th 2018, 7:40 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

TBH it depends where in Auckland hubby gets work, whatever line he is in. Once you have that and an idea of how much commute Hubby will stand, you can then look for schools to suit the children, then look for houses in the zone for those school(s).

Other than that the question is a bit far-reaching with no information.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

'Somewhere around Auckland' is much too vague; you might try to narrow it down a bit depending on what type of work you are looking for and how much you can afford to spend on housing.

Hi,
Any pictures also welcome please! xx
Pictures of what ? Random streets, shops, houses, beaches, cats? The internet is full of it you care to look.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 9:30 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Perhaps you'll see the problem with answering if you replace "Auckland" in the question with "South Yorkshire"...worth thinking of it in that light, think of the extra information you would ask anyone asking that of you, then give what guidance you can to the answers to those questions as relevant to you and Auckland.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are the best areas to live in around Auckland?

Hi,
I think your reaching out to get a grasp of Auckland/NZ so reading between the lines here are some items to google / Images to get an idea of Auckland. Others could add to the list and perhaps provide feedback on similar places in Yorkshire (let us know the places to give comparison).

Note far more people here are friendlier off line so don't be put off by blunt replies, just give people something to go on to help you.
  • Piha (Lion Rock)
  • Orewa / Waiwera / Long bay
  • Hunua Falls
  • Titirangi
  • Dominion Road
  • Devonport
  • Wynard Quarter / Viaduct Basin
  • Rangitoto
  • Goat Island (fish sanctuary and ideal for snorkeling wade from beach)
  • Whitford/Clevedon (rural and famers markets)
  • Sylvia Park, Botany, Hobsonville, Parnell, Ponsonby, Newmarket (shopping)
  • Thermal pools?
  • Karaka

Sailing?
Surfing?
Fishing?
Horse Riding?
Biking? Mountain/Road
Eating? Fresh produce/Fresh meat & seafood, ethnic variety of cooking
Bush walks - camping, trekking

Use google for above and come back with questions
Old Feb 5th 2018, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

That'll cover all the nice bits, for something a little more sobering perhaps have a look at :

https://aucklandmotorways.co.nz/
Old Feb 5th 2018, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

Yeah traffic is a nightmare so all depends where he is working. If he works in the city then somewhere close to ferry terminals opens up a few cool place too.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Littlefeet225 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We are a family of 5, 2 adults and 3 kids, 8, 7, 0.
We emigrated back in December, after extensive research we chose Orewa. It’s a coastal town with easy commute to the airport and essential amenities. We absolutly love it here and the local school is fantastic, my sons love it.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 4:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Littlefeet225
We emigrated back in December, after extensive research we chose Orewa. It’s a coastal town with easy commute to the airport and essential amenities.
That surely has to be the most horrendous commute possible in the whole of Auckland; travelling from the Northernmost reaches to the farthest South. Not exactly what I would call easy and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy; albeit if you will only have experienced it in school holiday time if you arrived in December. What time of day are you travelling?

Traffic this past week has been hideous in every direction and will only get worse when the Universities open
Old Feb 13th 2018, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
That surely has to be the most horrendous commute possible in the whole of Auckland; travelling from the Northernmost reaches to the farthest South. Not exactly what I would call easy and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy; albeit if you will only have experienced it in school holiday time if you arrived in December. What time of day are you travelling?

Traffic this past week has been hideous in every direction and will only get worse when the Universities open
Try Papakura to Orewa
Old Feb 13th 2018, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Stuck in Auckland
Try Papakura to Orewa
I grant you that, it probably is! 70 ks according to Google and all and a big chunk of that will be at a snails pace! It never ceases to surprise me how far it actually is from one end of Aucks to the other.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 5:08 am
Just Joined

I don’t commute, I was simply giving a point of reference of the location we live in. I wouldn’t drive that everyday either 😳
Old Feb 13th 2018, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Littlefeet225
I don’t commute, I was simply giving a point of reference of the location we live in. I wouldn’t drive that everyday either 😳

So why did you make the statement that it was an easy commute from Orewa to the airport?
Old Feb 13th 2018, 6:36 am
Just Joined

So why did you make the statement that it was an easy commute from Orewa to the airport?
You are so rude!!!

In my opinion it is! Where I’m from in the UK the traffic is way more heavier than what I’ve experienced so far.
If I was going on holiday for example traveling to the airport would be easy from where we are based in Orewa, in my opinion!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.