What Bank?..

Old Feb 9th 2011, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

Tranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Bank?..

We bank with ASB and they're great. They also have the best on-line banking in NZ (and I worked on the Barclays iBank in the UK before I came here!)
Old Feb 10th 2011, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

cookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to all

Originally Posted by simonsi
BNZ will lend on a mortgage before you get PR or RRV, but they load the rate by 0.5% - but remove the loading as soon as the PR application is approved.

I know because that is us at the moment and we have a mortgage with them...
Thanks buddy, Good to know that they adjust it once you have RRV
Old Feb 12th 2011, 3:51 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sirplug
I use Westpac for savings and ASB for everyday banking
We use Westpac for bills and mortgage and ASB for our business and everyday stuff and I prefer ASB. I've no real reason to dislike Westpac but we've been with ASB since we got here in 2005 and have never had a a problem with them.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, we are in a similar predicament and need to setup a bank account with a bank prior to our departure in May. I have been leaning toward Kiwibank but read that I cannot do direct bank transfers, i.e. to and from my Lloyds UK account. Maybe I'm wrong.. but I'm certain I saw that on here.

Any advice on what bank and being able to transfer money between my account in the UK and NZ would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

cookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to allcookie2b is a name known to all

Originally Posted by davros1984
Hi, we are in a similar predicament and need to setup a bank account with a bank prior to our departure in May. I have been leaning toward Kiwibank but read that I cannot do direct bank transfers, i.e. to and from my Lloyds UK account. Maybe I'm wrong.. but I'm certain I saw that on here.

Any advice on what bank and being able to transfer money between my account in the UK and NZ would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David.
Hi dave

as i previously mentioned we are with ANZ we set ours up before we left and transfered our funds through TorFX we were advised that when you are sending a considerable amount (more than holiday spending money) it is best to use a comp like this, they search fo the best rate and will call you when they feel it is at a high so that you get the best exchange. Their fees are in this so you don't actually notice the payment and the amount you get in your NZ account is exactly the amount they will have quoted to you when calling to confirm the rate with you.

Alteratively if you have the luxury of a little time you could contact them and say when the rate is.....2.1 (for example) then send my cash or hold out for a higher rate. As befor when the rate is availiable or as close to it as they believe it will get they will call to confirm with you.

We found that our bank at home TSB and Barclays could not match what Torfx offered us. Anz recommended them to us however there are lots of these type of things around.

Hope that helps. Good Luck with the big move.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

kenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by davros1984

Thanks,
David.
i do online telegraphic transfers using kiwibank to and from the UK it costs $20 a go
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future

I applied for a kiwibank now account last night and its already been opened... now thats what i call efficient!
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rick78
I applied for a kiwibank now account last night and its already been opened... now thats what i call efficient!
I completed an online application to BNZ and they called me a day later to say its ready to send funds to, on the phone to the nice lady for ages...an ex pom too..
I called the local branch and made an appointment to open it with paperwork when i arrive... Done.. Easy peasey..
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

rushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to all

We went with Kiwibank, and I've been surprised at how good it's been compared to my experience with UK banks.

We opened an account from the UK before arriving (one which has no account charges so long as your balance remains over a certain amount), and we had it all fully up and running as soon as we went to a Post Shop here to get it all activated when we arrived before Christmas. We were given our bank cards on the spot, and they gave us lots of help and advice with sorting out other things such as IRD numbers.

Everything just seemed so straightforward. We were even given a credit card, despite having no jobs or income yet!

The staff were super-friendly. The member of staff who helped us get everything sorted at the Post Shop even sent us an email wishing us "Happy New Year" and checking that everything was going OK a month later. The staff quickly got to know us in the Post Shop (despite it being a big branch in the centre of Auckland), and always say "hello" and ask how our move to New Zealand is going whenever we go in. I couldn't be happier with it.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future

Sounds like a glowing endorsement!