Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What areas for nice house up to $450k in Auckland

What areas for nice house up to $450k in Auckland

Old Jun 25th 2014, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

TheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What areas for nice house up to $450k in Auckland

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones
Sounds good to me. All you need to do is out some people needing IT (c#.net) skills out there.
Steven - My company are looking for .NET Developers and are an accredited employer.

Christchurch an option??
Old Jun 25th 2014, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Stephen Jones, just wanted to let you know I have insider knowledge in areas where you can actually buy a house in Auckland for under $450,000. I've lived in South Auckland for nearly 10 and enjoy closely following the real estate market in my area, and also throughout Auckland.

The good news is that some of the houses that sell at your price range in suburbs like Mangere and environs are in no worse condition, generally, than the more modestly priced houses in much more expensive suburbs.

Solid 1950’s Art Deco – oozing with character! | Trade Me Property

I've seen a few houses at this price in the area that were in better condition than more expensive houses in places like One Tree Hill.

That's not to say that these houses are well built. Rather, that houses in general in Auckland aren't of a good standard. They're no worse in South Auckland than in many other areas. You can look at some of my other posts if you want to see particulars about why NZ houses are so "challenging." After all, how can you have good quality of life if the house you LIVE in is cold, expensive to heat, suffers from condensation, etc. I don't know about anyone else, but I like to be comfortable, don't want to waste money on energy bills needlessly, don't want to pay exhorbitant prices for inferior product. Even the newer houses with aluminium double-glazed windows get condensation because there's no thermal break in the metal frame. They also have lower insulating rating than properly built windows.

You might be able to afford to live in some South Auckland suburbs but if you have children you wouldn't want to send them to the local schools. You can always arrange to send them out of district - some schools readily take students out of area, but there is a waiting list.

I don't mind living here, but then again it's only for the short term. We knew we were leaving as soon as we had our child.

Originally Posted by davros1984
Check this out, for those not in the know,a lot of NZ houses look that way, a right old wooden shack.
Bought for £100, tipped to fetch $900k - National - NZ Herald News
I checked out this house because I'm interested in NZ domestic architecture. It's an old worker's cottage in original condition, with some period details still intact. Very interesting. Anyway, while we were there we called in to an open home nearby. It was a nice enough house, quite large and modernized, on a big plot. It had a price guide of 1.8 million. The house had underfloor heating in parts. It had underfloor and loft space insulation but no wall insulation (it was a remodeled older home). None of the many windows and glass doors were double-glazed. No matter how fancy the new bathrooms and kitchens were, there was no disguising the fact that it would be a cold home, expensive to heat, with persistant condensation in the Auckland's wet winter. Kiwis wouldn't be fussed about this at all, and in fact, would consider a home like this to be well insulated and heated.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in no way disputing the fact that house prices are stupidly expensive, just clarifying the fact that despite davros1984's obvious issues with North Shore housing not everywhere is as bad as he implies.
Saying that, I bought my house at the end of last year on the Birkdale/Birkenhead border, fully refurbished, 2 bedrooms, insulated, heating, huge deck, smallish section but looking out onto native bush for under $4k.

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
But still $450k won't buy much there:

A teensy 'house' on a cross-leased site - quarter share of 1100m section $495k

Standalone Townhouse in Birkenhead! | Trade Me Property

What look like potentially leaky terraced 'Townhouses' in a gated community seeking offers above $450k

Birkenhead Townhouse with City Views | Trade Me Property

Some other 'three storey' unit style accommodation / with tiny sleeping space in the loft above extensive double garage. $498k

Affordable Modern Living With Valley View | Trade Me Property
Old Jun 27th 2014, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Not just N. Shore but Auckland as a whole, north/east/south/west. If you are happy with a long commute, you can get there. But surely not the point of emigrating if after a better quality of life.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCockneyKiwi
Steven - My company are looking for .NET Developers and are an accredited employer.

Christchurch an option??

Tell me more.

Message me.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Weezer
Old Jun 30th 2014, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Blade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones
Tell me more.

Message me.
Done
Old Jun 30th 2014, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

upandrunning is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are a .net c# guy you will have no trouble finding work in Auckland. there is plenty of work . We have been here for 10 years and my husband has contracted throughout never having a problem. Permie jobs are also abundant.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by upandrunning
If you are a .net c# guy you will have no trouble finding work in Auckland. there is plenty of work . We have been here for 10 years and my husband has contracted throughout never having a problem. Permie jobs are also abundant.
Thanks for this.
You are right, there are lots of jobs in Auckland.

The hardest part is finding one that pays well enough to be able to afford to live there (says the man who turned down a valid job offer).
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

upandrunning is an unknown quantity at this point

You might find contracting a bit more lucrative. Contracting for all sorts of jpbs is very popular here. Less fraught than the UK contract market and also no big problems with tax. If you want to know any more feel free to pm me.
Yes 100K pa doesn't go very far in Auckland...
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by upandrunning
Yes 100K pa doesn't go very far in Auckland...
...depending on your mortgage repayments and other outgoings. 100K is a perfectly acceptable annual wage - well above the average.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 9:12 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Well I guess I've become a cashed up pom! I thought people might be interested in the house I have bought in Auckland (now unconditional - settlement in August).

It's a 3-bed, quite small section (450sqm) but with a gate onto a reserve area that is maintained by the council. Nice sea view, hrv system, heat pump and wood burner (and has insulation). The builders report said it was well constructed and maintained and identified no issues. I don't commute but the train journey is 1 hour to the CBD. Drive is 30 mins out of peak - obviously a lot more during peak. Cost $525,000. I sold my 2-bed terrace in London, paid off my very small mortgage and had some cash to spare so it is possible. This despite transferring at the worst exchange rate in history! LOL.

Very excited about moving into my own place.
Attached Thumbnails What areas for nice house up to 0k in Auckland-house-1.jpg   What areas for nice house up to 0k in Auckland-house-2.jpg  

Last edited by jmh; Jul 11th 2014 at 9:16 am.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like the steal of the century, congratulations.
Old Jul 13th 2014, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

for auckland you've done really well

To the OP, its 75k over the intended budget and as i've stated many many times - a good hour out of the cbd via train or rush hour. Thats the reality of it, if you're happy with a long commute then its do-able.