Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

what airlines give your extra baggage allowances?

what airlines give your extra baggage allowances?

Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:25 pm
Cat (Mad) Sitter

Location: Anywhere and Everywhere, we're International House Sitters! :)
Water Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond reputeWater Lily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what airlines give your extra baggage allowances?

Originally Posted by over50
I am sure family up north could send it DHL etc being near Heathrow shouldn;t make that much of a difference surely.....lol.....
As for our container if all goes well..... we might have to lean against the door a bit to get it shut at this rate........ but if there is an inch or two I will let you know....
Steve and Dee
Aaah you meant for the family to send it DHL! I thought you meant using Cargo! lol

Well cargo works out cheaper, so might just as well do that, can always give them the address of the hotel where we'll have to stay for a few days whilst we sort out accommodation! Alternatively if we end up in Christchurch we have friends there so that would help too

Mind how you pack that container, imagining opening the doors at the other end and things going flying everywhere..... No, not funny, I know Hope you have lots of bubble wrap!!
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:40 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what airlines give your extra baggage allowances?

Re the confusion for luggage - it was until relatively recently 64kg max, based on a piece system of 2 bags up to 32kg each. For some weirdly bizarre and i have no idea why reason, it actually remained 64kg for longer if your flight was originating in NZ.

Like i said, weird.

However, a few years ago their were various unions (i think) in the US and Canada who started to insist on lighter loads...eg not only to do with the cost of carrying the luggage. Air Canada reduced it pretty quickly, as did, i think any airlines flying into Canada. But Air NZ which flew via LAX got to follow the US rules until recently.

However, 46kg PLUS hand luggage is still a lot of luggage to carry with you. If you can manage it you may find you can still take a lot with you.

If I managed to drag 70kgs worth of stuff with me (29kg suitcase, 22kg backpack, 11kg cabin bag, handbag, 'shopping bags' also filled with stuff but with duty free store logos) then two of you should be fine (assuming no nippers). And yes, i was obviously over the limit with carry on luggage. When I got to Auckland the nice lady let me check the lot for the final leg to Wellington. I just about hugged her