British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   What about local skiing/snowboarding? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-about-local-skiing-snowboarding-520042/)

nena11 Mar 8th 2008 12:28 pm

What about local skiing/snowboarding?

Hi there

Well we have been reading lots and lots of really useful threads with all sort of advise, as to what do expats or kiwis do for holidays but I have not found anything on snow sports.... as a keen skier (and OH snowboarder) we are starting to worry a bit so can anyone please let me know whether

a) skiing/sb are popular amongst locals/expats:confused:
b) and more importantly is it affordable

I know it may just be a silly question :p, but I am sure the answer will have an effect in our discission

Thanks
Nena

j19fmm Mar 8th 2008 12:37 pm

Re: What about local skiing/snowboarding?

Originally Posted by nena11 (Post 6034198)
Hi there

a) skiing/sb are popular amongst locals/expats:confused:
b) and more importantly is it affordable

Nena

Hi Nena, yes both popular, but if you have your own boards etc would recommend you take them with you as can be very expensive in NZ. My cousin bought FULL new kit and board in Canada last week for the same price he'd pay for skis alone at home.

Heal Mar 8th 2008 8:32 pm

We move to Nelson in August, from our research particularly in the South Island in winter there's ski fields within driving distance of most areas.
Some of them are not the vast areas you may find in Europe.
At the moment I'm lucky to snowboard for one week a year so you can imagine how excited we are that we'll be just over an hours drive away to the nearest ski field.:rofl:
I'll probably snowboard more next year in New Zealand than I would over ten years living in the UK.
www.snow.co.nz/

Mr.B Mar 8th 2008 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by j19fmm (Post 6034227)
Hi Nena, yes both popular, but if you have your own boards etc would recommend you take them with you as can be very expensive in NZ. My cousin bought FULL new kit and board in Canada last week for the same price he'd pay for skis alone at home.

That's true. But on the other hand, some models (I'm talking snowboards) are released here before they're released in Europe. So, here in Wellington, there are plenty of unsold snowboards that are heavily discounted at the mo, and some of them are the very same models that have only just been released in the UK. So there are some decent boards (Option, Forum, K2) for $450 - $600. I have my eye on a few of them myself. :D

nena11 Mar 8th 2008 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Heal (Post 6035755)
We move to Nelson in August, from our research particularly in the South Island in winter there's ski fields within driving distance of most areas.
Some of them are not the vast areas you may find in Europe.
At the moment I'm lucky to snowboard for one week a year so you can imagine how excited we are that we'll be just over an hours drive away to the nearest ski field.:rofl:
I'll probably snowboard more next year in New Zealand than I would over ten years living in the UK.
www.snow.co.nz/

Thank you all for the replies

This really is good news, as we are getting used to the idea of only having local holidays (due to cost of living, being so far away, etc.) so as long we get a bit of snow and a few slopes we will be happy :D

As for the kit... well we usually hire skis and board but will definitively bring all the equipment that we have (boots, clothes) and hope for a good sale over there as the prices in the UK are not that good either, compared to the continent that is