Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Whangarei v's Blenheim? what do you think?

Whangarei v's Blenheim? what do you think?

Old Apr 10th 2012, 5:36 am
Just Joined

sarah.pickering is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Whangarei v's Blenheim? what do you think?

My Husband and I have now been living in Whangarei for one year! It hasn't been easy moving to the other side of the world but didn't expect it to be. Anyway i'm working full time and supporting us but my husband struggling to settle and find work! Same old same old I suppose. I feel more settled as I have work here and we both like the region in general. However a job has come up for me in Blenheim and it would be more secure for us. Blenheim was originally our first choice but now we are reasonably happy in the northland. Do we up sticks and go to the south island or stay in the north and try and make it work here?
Old Apr 10th 2012, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

Reylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to all
Default Re: Whangarei v's Blenheim? what do you think?

Originally Posted by sarah.pickering
My Husband and I have now been living in Whangarei for one year! It hasn't been easy moving to the other side of the world but didn't expect it to be. Anyway i'm working full time and supporting us but my husband struggling to settle and find work! Same old same old I suppose. I feel more settled as I have work here and we both like the region in general. However a job has come up for me in Blenheim and it would be more secure for us. Blenheim was originally our first choice but now we are reasonably happy in the northland. Do we up sticks and go to the south island or stay in the north and try and make it work here?
Wow, now there'a a question! I guess it really depends on what your husband does for a living? I found work here in Blenheim but my husband hasn't yet although there has been more to apply for of late. To be fair he is quite happy with this as am I as it was always part of the plan that he would take a little time off work when we moved. We do both love Blenheim though and it was our first choice too.
I wish you luck in whatever you decide
Old Apr 10th 2012, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

thanks for that, my husband has always worked as a plasterer but is wanting to do something different. He has joined the St Johns here and hoping to look at working within this once he has gained enough experience. This is what could be a problem as in the meantime he is managing to get some agency work now and then but nothing as yet perminent. Is there any polytecs or training facilities in Blenheim? How is Blenheim are you enjoying it?
Old Apr 10th 2012, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Reylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to all

Hi There

We really like Blenheim, it's a really nice place to be. Here is a website address to NMIT http://www.nmit.ac.nz. They do various courses in Blenheim and of course St John's are here too although that may be volunteer work, at least to begin with.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 2:56 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarah.pickering
Do we up sticks and go to the south island or stay in the north and try and make it work here?
No body but yourselves can make that choice.

We live in Renwick 10km outside of Blenheim and love the area. We have since started our own businesses, including our wine label!Your hubby is very welcome to help pick grapes for us (if he is willing to work for wine).

Climate wise, it's a big difference moving to this part of the world from Whangarei. Loads of sun, but cold at winter, we even had snow last year.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 6:55 am
Just Joined

Thats nice to know we wouldn't be out of wine! will see how things go at the interview if all goes well and i'm successful then we may have to pop over and see the place we would be living in and decide then. thanks again and would be good to keep intouch and let you know how it goes!
Old Jun 30th 2012, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

BenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Only just seen this so sorry if a bit late,

Whereabouts in Whangarei are you? There is going to be loads of work in the area over the next few years with the massive expansion at the refinary and that will inturn be bringing lots of people and income to the area therefore creating lots of oppurtunites for jobs in the area, i certainly wouldnt be leaving here in the near future as everyone else is moving in for a few years!