Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Whangarei - cost of living

Whangarei - cost of living

Old May 13th 2007, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice
Default Re: Whangarei - cost of living

Originally Posted by charliedarling
Do they tell you how to apply for all these things? do you have to be in the country for a certain amount of time first? I kind of assumed that we wouldnt be able to get anything like this and I have been worrying about our money (I have 3 boys, 10, 7 and 2) and only want to work part time (OH is a joiner so wont be earning a huge amount). Every bit helps!!

My top tip for food: my children hate carrots so I always grate them and put them in spag bol and shep pie, they eat it no problems!

They won't tell you how to apply, but you ARE entitled to them IF you have permanent residency - so if you'll have that you'll get it!

x
Old May 13th 2007, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soulflour
Carole - that means that you're eating meat, pulses and carbs.... and that's all???? is that right?

The general consensus is that you can make yourself like a food by eating it 10 times.... and I really think that you should try and work on that! If you have kids you're going to be setting them up for health problems later on if you really REALLY don't eat salad, fruit, or much veg I'm worried about you too!

If the 10 times thing doesn't work you could try hypnotherapy or something?

Anway, the pizza base recipe I use is the same as pixi-dust's - but I don't use any sugar in mine.

Make sure to buy your dried yeast in binn inns - where you'll find it in vacum sealed packets like real coffee which hold about 3 times as much as the jars in supermarkets and is the same price. Also, just buy the basic yeast, rather than the ones with 'additives' (which are only citric acid or 'bread improver' (actually gluten flour, which many people are sensitive too anyway)). I have an old yeast jar which I decant the bin inns stuff into, and keep it all in the fridge.

Caramalised onion is yummy on pizzas, and easy and very cheap - just cook some onions down with a teaspoon of sugar on a lowish heat until they're all brown and sweet and scrummy (there's a veg you could eat - i BET you'd all eat them!).

Try to think 'outside' the traditional salad of lettuce, cucumber and toms - you need to eat more with the seasons here anyway (budget wise I mean!) so start exploring the veg that you CAN eat raw, with different dressings... there are loads and loads you can do - vegetarian web sites are good for these.

I also have a fab carrot cake recipe that is really REALLY nice and quite healthy - good for lunchboxes if you'd like.

xx
Hi,
Please dont panic, I know its not ideal, but i have never liked them. I guess my mum was'nt much of a cook, everything was fried and never experimented. However i have always given the children yoghurts and fruit, and some veg every other day. Its only in the last couple of years they've realised i dont eat them.
I'll try the carrot cake recipe and any other money making things you care to throw my way. Cheers
Carole
Old May 13th 2007, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice

cool! the carrot cake is a brilliant way to start!

Don't be put off by the steps involved in this, it's the kind of cake that keeps for weeks and it's HUGE - it's so nice to always have a h/m cake in the cupboard!

INGREDIENTS
6 cups grated carrots
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup raisins
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup chopped walnuts

DIRECTIONS
In a medium bowl, combine grated carrots and brown sugar. Set aside for 60 minutes, then stir in raisins.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two cake pans.
In a large bowl, beat eggs until light. Gradually beat in the white sugar, oil and vanilla. Stir in the pineapple. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, stir into the wet mixture until absorbed. Finally stir in the carrot mixture and the walnuts. Pour evenly into the prepared pans.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes in the preheated oven, until cake tests done with a toothpick. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan. When completely cooled, frost with cream cheese frosting (cream cheese and icing sugar mixed together!!)

good luck!

x
Old May 13th 2007, 6:58 am

SavBlancGal is an unknown quantity at this point

Have a look at www.destitutegourmet.com for more recipes that don't cost the earth. There are also cook books by the same name, written by Sophie Gray. It was really 'big news' here a few years ago - how a family of four could live on a food budget of somewhere around $70 a week.
Old May 13th 2007, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Old May 13th 2007, 9:05 am
Clear sighted member

tootsie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by SavBlancGal
..It was really 'big news' here a few years ago - how a family of four could live on a food budget of somewhere around $70 a week.
Gosh, and not be undernourished? that's amazing.
Old May 13th 2007, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light

cool! the carrot cake is a brilliant way to start!

Don't be put off by the steps involved in this, it's the kind of cake that keeps for weeks and it's HUGE - it's so nice to always have a h/m cake in the cupboard!

INGREDIENTS
6 cups grated carrots
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup raisins
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup chopped walnuts

DIRECTIONS
In a medium bowl, combine grated carrots and brown sugar. Set aside for 60 minutes, then stir in raisins.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two cake pans.
In a large bowl, beat eggs until light. Gradually beat in the white sugar, oil and vanilla. Stir in the pineapple. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon, stir into the wet mixture until absorbed. Finally stir in the carrot mixture and the walnuts. Pour evenly into the prepared pans.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes in the preheated oven, until cake tests done with a toothpick. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan. When completely cooled, frost with cream cheese frosting (cream cheese and icing sugar mixed together!!)

good luck!

x
This is similar to my recipe but I don't put pineapple in mine and to make it lovely and Light and moist (as well as healthier!) i replace the oil with cooked apple!
Old May 13th 2007, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

mmm... yes, i MUST do that! it's a bit weird putting oil in a cake isn't it? mind you, there's far worse in bought ones I guess.

Do you cook down the apples yourself?

x
Old May 13th 2007, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light

Yes! My two trees are loaded up at the moment but i still a small amount left in the freezer that i forgot about!

I just steam them for around 5 mins and freeze (or use!) and if i'm doing a huge batch M & I have the cooled water afterwards as it's even better than apple juice!
Old May 14th 2007, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

oooh yum, that sounds great - i must plant an apple tree!

x
Old May 14th 2007, 3:56 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rustie
This is similar to my recipe but I don't put pineapple in mine and to make it lovely and Light and moist (as well as healthier!) i replace the oil with cooked apple!
This looked really good.... so I thought I would give it a try.....right, here we go.........everything in, mix it up..........about 5 minutes before it was due out of the oven, I realised I had omitted the cinnamon! :curse: aaaaaaaaarrgghhhhhhh!! However, it still seems to taste good, just not like carrot cake.
And doesn't that recipie make loads!

Last edited by karonious; May 14th 2007 at 4:15 am.
Old May 14th 2007, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

No? I'll double-check my recipe when i get home, although i don't stick to it religously and having another look I also don't put walnuts in it (nutty enough! ) but replace them with sultana's or raisins and I also put grated orange peel in there as it gives it a yummy flavour!
Old May 14th 2007, 4:16 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rustie
No? I'll double-check my recipe when i get home, although i don't stick to it religously and having another look I also don't put walnuts in it (nutty enough! ) but replace them with sultana's or raisins and I also put grated orange peel in there as it gives it a yummy flavour!
I meant because I left out the cinnamon! Like I said though, it still tastes nice
Old May 14th 2007, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

it DOES make a flipping HUGE cake I should have warned you of that - sorry!
Old May 15th 2007, 10:28 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

it DOES make a flipping HUGE cake I should have warned you of that - sorry!

I was thinking of giving it a go this weekend - but halving the ingredients, so just making one cake. What do you reckon?

AHA, don't tell me - you freeze one, don't you????? Or do you pile them on top of each other?

I just thought it would be good to try it first, without overdosing on it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.