British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Whangarei (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/whangarei-369516/)

Wandering Star Apr 24th 2006 2:46 pm

Whangarei

My search for sifting through the "where to live" question has taken me to Whangarei. Is there anyone here who lives in Whangarei or can tell me a little bit about the place please??

Many thanks as usual for your help.

kiwichild Apr 24th 2006 3:06 pm

Re: Whangarei

Originally Posted by Wandering Star
My search for sifting through the "where to live" question has taken me to Whangarei. Is there anyone here who lives in Whangarei or can tell me a little bit about the place please??

It's the 'capital' of northland. Don't know about the job scene but enough people live there for it to be a go. Warmer climate than Auckland and more room to move around. Worth researching further.

Batty Apr 24th 2006 3:22 pm

Hi. I don't know much about the job scene up there but from a visitors perspective - I love it up there. My best friend is from Whangarei so going there with her is better than just going as a tourist as I get to meet the locals. It's much more relaxed and friendly than Auckland (which isn't bad either) and it's (according to the locals) a city of almost 50,000 people and growing really fast. Property is still a lot cheaper than further south and you get more for your money. This might sound fanciful but there's something in the air up there (yeah, it's the pot growing capital of NZ so could be that :D ) but I definitely feel more chilled out there. We don't intend staying in Auckland in the long term and that would definitely be the direction we would head. Not very helpful to you in terms of hard facts I know but you'll probably get lots of them.

livewire Apr 24th 2006 10:04 pm

Hi, I've been there a couple of times and found it to be ok I guess. There has been some investment in the town in recent years which has started to take it a bit more upmarket. It's a lot bigger than I thought it would be so I'm guessing there would be a fair amount of work in commerce and service sectors. If you have kids have a look at the reports on the local schools, these are issued by the ERO.

Keri Keri is worth a look too if you are thinking about living "up north".

kiwichild Apr 24th 2006 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by livewire
Keri Keri is worth a look too if you are thinking about living "up north".

Keri keri does seem a nice spot but I'm not sure about work opportunities there.

shazzafromnz Apr 25th 2006 2:46 am

Originally Posted by Wandering Star

Hi there

I live in Whangarei, Im not an expat but a NZer with dual citizenship as I was born in the UK,and have lived and worked there before.
What would you like to know in particular.?.
I have done this many times before and dont want to repeat the same old stuff unless its relevant to you..you may also like to do a search on Whangarei on the posts in this forum as it has been discussed before in the past..this may answer some of your questions already.