Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Whanganui and Hamilton

Whanganui and Hamilton

Old Feb 27th 2010, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

MAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Whanganui and Hamilton

Hi all

My sis and brother-in-law are moving to NZ later this year. My brother-in-law has two job offers, one in Hamilton and one in Whanganui - both are very similar packages, but they need help with deciding which area would be better for a family to live in.
I would really appreciate any "inside" information regarding best/worst areas to live in for both towns, schools are definitely a priorty for choice of where to go. One daughter is 14 years and the other is 16, so college information is also desirable. I have looked at schools for the areas, and it seems to me that Hamilton has a higher rating, but would really appreciate any advice from the people that know.
Many Thanks
Maz
Old Feb 27th 2010, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Whanganui and Hamilton

We like Hamilton and it is very accessible to other areas such as Auckland, Taupo, Bay of Plenty, Coromandel etc. The schools are variable and unfortunately the girls high school doesn't have such a good reputation as the boys high school. We have daughters and are aiming for Hillcrest High - you have to be in zone, and the house prices reflect this. Other schools with good reputations have a religious slant e.g. "Dio" http://www.waikatodiocesan.school.nz/
Old Feb 27th 2010, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Never been to whanganui but i know love30stm on here lives there and she hates it.
I live in cambridge 20 minutes out from hamilton. Hamilton has pretty much everything you need.
shops are good, schools are like everywhere, there are good and bad. colleges arent really
around. kids tend to stay on at the school the attend after year 11 and do two more years (12 and 13)
which are the equvelent of uk sixth form years.
I've been told Hamilton girls school is very good and also hillcrest high school.
If they dont want city living cambridge is 20 mins away and is a realy nice town live in.
Stay away from,fairfield, nawton, fairview downs. dont consider huntly or ngaruwahia(?)
These are all my personal opinions and others may tell you otherwise
Old Feb 28th 2010, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colandros
Never been to whanganui but i know love30stm on here lives there and she hates it.
I live in cambridge 20 minutes out from hamilton. Hamilton has pretty much everything you need.
shops are good, schools are like everywhere, there are good and bad. colleges arent really
around. kids tend to stay on at the school the attend after year 11 and do two more years (12 and 13)
which are the equvelent of uk sixth form years.
I've been told Hamilton girls school is very good and also hillcrest high school.
If they dont want city living cambridge is 20 mins away and is a realy nice town live in.
Stay away from,fairfield, nawton, fairview downs. dont consider huntly or ngaruwahia(?)
These are all my personal opinions and others may tell you otherwise
Wanganui is by the beach, hamilton isn't. One thing to consider. Ther are bad reports for both..just like Palmerston North where I live. Most people just tolerate my city. Others are way less kind. Being 'non beachside' makes any town in NZ unattractive. I think both places have things going for their actual position geographically but if it were me I would go for Hamilton. I get the feel there's more going on there. Wangers is a bit too small for me.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

hamilton
Old Feb 28th 2010, 4:32 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Hamilton, but stick with Hillcrest High zoning- Hamilton Boys' has a good reputation, Hamilton Girls' much less so. Hillcrest is not the priciest part of the city either
Old Mar 1st 2010, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

MAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond reputeMAZ-10 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Thanks so much for your replies. I know my sis and bro-in-law have read them also and are veering towards Hamilton I believe. Hillcrest sounds like the area to look into it.
Thanks again for all your help, really appreciate it
Maz
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, I'd agree. My parents stunned us by moving to Wanganui when they retired, and I still can't see the attraction. It's a small town with a grubby river that has a cute paddle steamer on it, and um, that's it. Oh and a nice kid's play park.

Hamilton is quite pretty, with parks and a lake and a hot air balloon festival, with good shopping and restaurants, but it doesn't have a beach. However there are beaches and an assortment of NZ attractions within an hour, and Auckland is less than 2 hours away. As someone else said, if you don't want to live in the city, Cambridge is nice.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 7:06 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if it's still there - I put a bit about Hamilton on the Wiki thingy quite some time ago. And the beginning of my blog has a bit too - I liked Hamilton well enough, personal circumstances dictated a change though.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

we have friends in tamahere who's kids go to hillcrest so the catchment area must be fairly big.
they could always rent in hillcrest then move elsewhere if getting into the school was a problem