Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Whakatane or Nelson

Whakatane or Nelson

Old Oct 24th 2008, 7:50 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Whakatane or Nelson

Well we have been in NZ for well over 3 years and have lived in Dunedin all that time , but once the wife qualifies at UNI we would like to move to another place and have come up with Whakatane or Nelson, we are going to take some time off work and go see Nelson and Whakatane before Christmas or after as we have 3 weeks back in Uk this Christmas to do first.

I have run my own business successfuly in Dunedin for well over a year, in Property Maintenance and handyman services and have built up a good client base, my wife is about to qualify in Counselling so got a, good range of skills to offer, i can also service and install woodfires, so any of you who are living in theses places ? do you know of anybody doing this type of thing ?

We have an 11 year daughter to consider to and one day we hope the in laws will move to NZ as all their children live here BIL lives down Invers, by in laws want to be somewhere warmer.

What we would do is rent this house out down here as we have no mortgage on it and put it in a compnay name and use rent to finance another house in Nelson or Whakatane, or possibly rent to see whats what before we buy again.

Any thoughts or advice on both areas would be great.

Nige, Dunedin since May 05
Old Oct 24th 2008, 8:54 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whakatane or Nelson

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
Well we have been in NZ for well over 3 years and have lived in Dunedin all that time , but once the wife qualifies at UNI we would like to move to another place and have come up with Whakatane or Nelson, we are going to take some time off work and go see Nelson and Whakatane before Christmas or after as we have 3 weeks back in Uk this Christmas to do first.

I have run my own business successfuly in Dunedin for well over a year, in Property Maintenance and handyman services and have built up a good client base, my wife is about to qualify in Counselling so got a, good range of skills to offer, i can also service and install woodfires, so any of you who are living in theses places ? do you know of anybody doing this type of thing ?

We have an 11 year daughter to consider to and one day we hope the in laws will move to NZ as all their children live here BIL lives down Invers, by in laws want to be somewhere warmer.

What we would do is rent this house out down here as we have no mortgage on it and put it in a compnay name and use rent to finance another house in Nelson or Whakatane, or possibly rent to see whats what before we buy again.

We live in Nelson and love it here. Weather is normally pretty sunny although it has been a bit wet lately. Any specific ? ask away. We also have some friends who moved here from Whakatane about a year ago (brought a boysenberry farm) who can answer ? about them both.
Darren
Old Oct 25th 2008, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fooferfish

Hello

We visited Whakatane on our Recci and didnt think much of it, had a smallish feel and seemed miles from anywhere, good luck in whatever you decide.

Was it easy to start 'on your own' in NZ, I am a good allround tradesmen (sole-proprietor in UK) and curious as to how you got on. I would probably look for employment first, then go into 'learning mode', then maybe look into self employment.

Any Tips or Advice???

Cheers Jads
Old Oct 27th 2008, 8:47 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

I've only been to Whakatane once and wasn't over keen - but it is quite possible I missed the main bit of it, me being me! I'm going back though to do the White Island trip - when I can palm the kids off on someone!

My problem is I compare everywhere to where we live, and because I love where we live, nothing else ever quite comes close ...

Lizard on here lives in Whakatane - hopefully he'll be along to answer your specific questions.