Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

WeyHey Welly .....

WeyHey Welly .....

Old Mar 16th 2009, 10:38 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking WeyHey Welly .....

So, I have the opportunity to come to Welly with the odd (literally) girlfriend or 2!

Was reliably informed by "my mechanic" that my car would fetch up to $1500 more in auction there than here in Tauranga! Clearly that profit will be drunk by the time I return the next day, but ho hum tis an outing all the same!

Now I have peeps to contact and look up (you know who you are!) and can't wait. But that aside, if I'm in Welly for say 3 days tops what are my must see/do options? Preferably that reolve around eating/drinking/shopping?
Old Mar 16th 2009, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WeyHey Welly .....

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
So, I have the opportunity to come to Welly with the odd (literally) girlfriend or 2!

Was reliably informed by "my mechanic" that my car would fetch up to $1500 more in auction there than here in Tauranga! Clearly that profit will be drunk by the time I return the next day, but ho hum tis an outing all the same!

Now I have peeps to contact and look up (you know who you are!) and can't wait. But that aside, if I'm in Welly for say 3 days tops what are my must see/do options? Preferably that reolve around eating/drinking/shopping?
When are you coming?

This Sunday just gone it was great just hanging round the waterfront, on a nice sunny day. From the Blueferry terminal right round to Oriental Bay there is often plenty going on, and yes, there are some bars along the way eg the Loaded Hog,Macs Brewery, st Johns bar.

In a southerly its not quite so nice.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Browner_
When are you coming?
Are you hitting on me you old tart? ....
Old Mar 16th 2009, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Are you hitting on me you old tart? ....
Send me a picture and Ill let you know!

and not so much of the 'old'!

Sorry, thought I might be able to tell you whats on, but as usual, the lady comes out with the aggression up front.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Browner_
Send me a picture and Ill let you know!

and not so much of the 'old'!

Sorry, thought I might be able to tell you whats on, but as usual, the lady comes out with the aggression up front.
Bugger, young man, I was hopeful ... not aggressive ... ooops!!! Thank you for your words of wisdom though, does sound good!
Old Mar 16th 2009, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

cleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to all

try this site for a quick list of whats on

http://www.wellingtonnz.com/know/
Old Mar 18th 2009, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by cleverchap
try this site for a quick list of whats on

http://www.wellingtonnz.com/know/
You really are a cleverchap - that's a great site. Thank you!

Quick update ... am down in Welly next week staying for 2 nights (bless her) with the lovely karonious ... meeting a couple of others from here and having a general milling about! So excited!!!! Mind you I'd get excited at a meal out at Burger King?!

Last edited by Am Loolah; Mar 21st 2009 at 9:43 am.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 9:44 am

You really are a cleverchap - that's a great site. Thank you!

Quick update ... am down in Welly next week staying for 2 nights (bless her) with the lovely karonious ... meeting a couple of others from here and having a general milling about! So excited!!!! Mind you I'd get excited at a meal out at Burger King?!
And meant to add - Te Papa here I come ...
Old Mar 21st 2009, 9:52 am
Just Joined

TheWoo is an unknown quantity at this point

And meant to add - Te Papa here I come ...
Dont miss the Colossal squid!!
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheWoo
Dont miss the Colossal squid!!
Saw it today! Do the earthquake house (and scare your kids lol) - Do the Monets as well..I'm saving those for when kids at school - exhibition ends in May though.

The upstairs Te Papa Cafe is way nicer for a coffee for adults than the ground floor one.

Do go in Kirkcaldie and Stains on Lambton Quay for a laugh..it's like Grace Bros!
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Do go in Kirkcaldie and Stains on Lambton Quay for a laugh..it's like Grace Bros!

Kirk is slightly better quality than Grace Bros! (IMO)
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 8:34 am

Thank you all, but thank ye Gods I am coming alone!!!!!!! No pesky kids or Hubby!! Yay!!!!

I'm that excited I may even shave my legs ...
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee

Kirk is slightly better quality than Grace Bros! (IMO)
I wouldn't know, I never shopped in Grace Bros - it was a 1970s tv sitcom as you probably know despite your relative youth.
I do buy the occasional item in Kirks but the 'birds in the cage' are awful and their fan heaters always crack me up in winter.
Also the Ladies Clothing section is the only shop in NZ I have ever been in and had every single assistant ask if I need help, within earshot of each other several times over..they must be on commission and on occasions I have found it extremely annoying. You also have to ask for your size as well as it's rarely on display although they often have it..if you ask...unlike everywhere else in the 21st Century.
I also don't like their Golliwogs in the kid's section but that's just me.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you all, but thank ye Gods I am coming alone!!!!!!! No pesky kids or Hubby!! Yay!!!!

How about a massage on Cuba Street?
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Autumn is over, FREEZING winter is definitely here .. Winter comes early this year... (This time of the year is supposed to be warm!) What crazy weather! ...

Don't forget to wear the thick stockings..... (from MOnday...) I will....