We've made our minds up!

We've made our minds up!

Old Feb 7th 2006, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Noel and Rachel is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile We've made our minds up!

Hi all

New here so please go easy on us!

We have been looking at moving to NZ for months, but have recently came back from two weeks over there. We stayed with friends in Auckland and Nelson, and have decided that NZ is where we want to be!

The place is amazing, the people are fantastic and the jobs available for me (IT technical support) are overwhelming.

We have decided on Auckland (who doesn't). While we were there we spoke with a recruitment consultant who said I would only be likely to get job interviews if we were actually over there. So we have decided to go over on Working Holiday Visas, rent somewhere while we temp and look for something permanent, and once I get something permanent I will apply for a Work to Residence (Accredited Employer category) Visa. I've started applying for jobs on seek.co.nz now though, I thought it won't hurt!

We are putting the house for sale here, and should have about $60,000 in equity to bring with us if we knock the price down. This should give us a little bit to live on if it takes a couple of months to get a job. It's just the nerves of hoping we get a job paying $45,000 so we can get a WTR visa, and then if the company is willing to fill in the forms to get them accredited!

So this is it - very exciting but I've seen you guys offer a lot of help so I may be needing more myself at some point!

I will keep you all posted!

Cheers,
Noel & Rachel
Old Feb 7th 2006, 9:28 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: We've made our minds up!

Originally Posted by Noel and Rachel
Hi all

We have been looking at moving to NZ for months, but have recently came back from two weeks over there. We stayed with friends in Auckland and Nelson, and have decided that NZ is where we want to be!

The place is amazing, the people are fantastic and the jobs available for me (IT technical support) are overwhelming.

We have decided on Auckland (who doesn't). While we were there we spoke with a recruitment consultant who said I would only be likely to get job interviews if we were actually over there. So we have decided to go over on Working Holiday Visas, rent somewhere while we temp and look for something permanent, and once I get something permanent I will apply for a Work to Residence (Accredited Employer category) Visa. I've started applying for jobs on seek.co.nz now though, I thought it won't hurt!

We are putting the house for sale here, and should have about $60,000 in equity to bring with us if we knock the price down. This should give us a little bit to live on if it takes a couple of months to get a job. It's just the nerves of hoping we get a job paying $45,000 so we can get a WTR visa, and then if the company is willing to fill in the forms to get them accredited!

So this is it - very exciting but I've seen you guys offer a lot of help so I may be needing more myself at some point!

Cheers,
Noel & Rachel
Best of luck to you, hope it works out. We are thinking of going back to Christchurch as we are just not happy here at all. Been back a year and it has not made us any happier, we were better off in NZ it seems.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

Not wanting to sound negative - will both of you be working because a single $45k salary doesnt go far in Auckland. Even with your $60k you'll be looking at property not much more than $200k which wont get you much any where near Auckland.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 10:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ukkiwi
Not wanting to sound negative - will both of you be working because a single $45k salary doesnt go far in Auckland. Even with your $60k you'll be looking at property not much more than $200k which wont get you much any where near Auckland.
My wife works in administration which is fairly portable, she is looking to work in that field which should bring in about another $25-30K. She will temp on our WHV, and apparently will get an work permit on the strength of mine.

We're going to rent at least in the short term, and then maybe look at buying on the outskirts of Auckland. We've been looking at Manukau and some areas to the north of Auckland which seem to be a little cheaper, but we're not going to buy until we're confirmed in work because we could always end up getting offered a job in Wellington or Chch.

Cheers,
Noel
Old Feb 7th 2006, 10:56 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

My wife works in administration which is fairly portable, she is looking to work in that field which should bring in about another $25-30K. She will temp on our WHV, and apparently will get an work permit on the strength of mine.

We're going to rent at least in the short term, and then maybe look at buying on the outskirts of Auckland. We've been looking at Manukau and some areas to the north of Auckland which seem to be a little cheaper, but we're not going to buy until we're confirmed in work because we could always end up getting offered a job in Wellington or Chch.

Cheers,
Noel
Noel, depending on your wife's experience she can get closer to $40k - $50k if she works in the CBD.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 11:24 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all
Hello & welcome. Really liked the upbeat nature of your post and wanted to wish you luck. Carmen.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

jeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant future

Hi there

Like your post, sounds very similar to our plans. We spent 3 months in NZ and loved it, loved it, loved it!
Never really been happy since being back so we are applying for the WHV and going out there with the idea to hopefully stay! Try and get set up with good jobs etc, etc, see how we like it.
OH is an electrical engineer and qualified electrician so hopefully all will be ok.

Just all a bit scarey!

J
Old Feb 7th 2006, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

jeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant futurejeany has a brilliant future

How old are you both by the way?
Old Feb 7th 2006, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

I wouldn't say it's that scary just yet, just a little 'interesting'!

I think the WHV is the best way to go as at least we can be earning while we're there and looking for something permanent at the same time. Apparently in NZ lots is done by who you know so being there will hopefully allow us to make some useful contacts too.

Originally Posted by jeany
How old are you both by the way?
I'm 25, OH is 26 (will be 27 when we move).
Old Feb 7th 2006, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

Hi there

OH is an electrical engineer and qualified electrician so hopefully all will be ok.

J
Forgot to ask would you not be better going in straight away with PR on points if your OH is a sparky? Not sure of the situation with that but you may fare better than us (I'd need a degree to get in on points).

Cheers,
Noel
Old Feb 7th 2006, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Could do I guess.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 6:41 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to both of you - I'm sure with your positive attitudes you'll settle in dead quick.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Hi all

Cheers,
Noel & Rachel
Good luck, the WHV as an entry to get NZ experience is a good way to go. If you do get a permanenet job offer, can you not go for Perm Residency straight away, rather than going the Work-to-Residence route?

Good idea to rent in the first instance.

CVs in NZ tend to be more detailed so spend some time explaining about the companies you worked for, especially if they are UK companies NZers wont know. Aim for 4-5 pages. Also, have references lined up, agents are keen to have references, and do phone them up in the UK (in my case they did in any event).

I would be careful about selling up if you dont need to, in case NZ does not work out and you want to return to the UK, will you still be able to get on the prop ladder?

cheers and hope you enjoy NZ and the whole rollercoaster ride...
Old Feb 7th 2006, 9:07 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

Like your post, sounds very similar to our plans. We spent 3 months in NZ and loved it, loved it, loved it!
Never really been happy since being back so we are applying for the WHV and going out there with the idea to hopefully stay! Try and get set up with good jobs etc, etc, see how we like it.

Just all a bit scarey!

J
Hi Jenny

Is your hubby NZ registered? If he's not, he won't be well paid. The exams are in June and November so if you can you should try to aim for a couple of months earlier than one of these so that he can sit the exams as soon as possible. I was working for an electrical company until last Friday so I know the sort of salary he could expect as an electrician if he's not registered. $18 p.h. tops. It goes up to 24/25 once registered. The crowd I was working for are considered to pay well too.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 11:11 pm
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all

Cheers,
Noel & Rachel
Hi Noel and Rachel,

Just wanted to say Hi and welcome

Best of luck for your plans, fingers crossed for your jobs search and hope you settle in Auckland well. A friend of mine on a WHV was able to find a job fairly quick in Auckland in IT, and was offered a bit more than what you're hoping to get paid, so I'm sure you will be fine

All the best,

Jen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.