British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   we've just been trick or treated... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/weve-just-been-trick-treated-638343/)

Stoof Oct 31st 2009 5:47 am

we've just been trick or treated...

it's bright sunshine and blue skies... it's just not the same! (LO, almost 3, just looked at them a bit perplexed! :rofl:)

Tranmere Rover Oct 31st 2009 5:56 am

Re: we've just been trick or treated...

Our kids are out doing this now (with various mum's in attendance!) Mad as balloons I reckon, but then Christmas turkey in 30 degrees is just plain wrong too eh??:)

Kiwiprincess Oct 31st 2009 6:08 am

I have to admit, when I went to the UK, seeing trick or treaters at night made a lot more sense!

RobDon Oct 31st 2009 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Stoof (Post 8059286)
it's bright sunshine and blue skies... it's just not the same! (LO, almost 3, just looked at them a bit perplexed! :rofl:)

Trick or Treat in broad daylight! :blink:
Whats that all about?! :huh:

Bo-Jangles Oct 31st 2009 7:46 am

We got a gang of about twenty round waving carrier bags, blooming heck how scary is that? I had a few sweets put by especially, but not enough to go round them all and I wasn't expecting quite so many. Agree it is such a dead duck when the sun is still out, we were outside cutting the grass.

BEVS Oct 31st 2009 8:24 am

Grugger that. Start karma spooking the BE bandits. :eek:

Geelong Gent Oct 31st 2009 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Stoof (Post 8059286)

There was a couple hundred walking around before 6pm here in Melbourne. Parents are walking with groups of 10 to 20 to each house. We have had to do 2 trips for treats to keep them happy.

Matewx Oct 31st 2009 8:31 am

Stuff that...

If it was cold n grey (just like in the UK) you guys would be complaining...

SO, bring on Halloween n Xmas with the Sun I say...

Although, I am not at all in a Halloween or Xmas build up mood... Coz of the sun that is! lol

Persephone Oct 31st 2009 10:30 am

We're Mr and Mrs grumpy here and told the kids to go away in a scary voice. They did-and there's been no trickery round here as far as I can see:thumbsup:

love30stm Oct 31st 2009 10:47 am

Miserys! My kids had a great time I decorated my house up the kids/teenagers thought it was cool I
Nearly run out of sweets I love it ... Now chistmas in the sun is a different matter!

Genesis Oct 31st 2009 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 8059629)
We're Mr and Mrs grumpy here and told the kids to go away in a scary voice. They did-and there's been no trickery round here as far as I can see:thumbsup:

Kate and I are in your camp Sue. Personally I don't agree with it either. I don't see why cadging sweets off strangers one night in the year is acceptable. Scream humbug at me I accepet the derision..BUT its just against my values. Plus I don't want my kids coming home with buckets of crappy sweets. NOW if all the sweets they collected were given to families who can't afford sweets I'd be out there with them.

Yotty Oct 31st 2009 8:34 pm

It's a Pagan festival..as well.:ohmy:

Genesis Nov 1st 2009 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Yotty (Post 8060628)
It's a Pagan festival..as well.:ohmy:

I knew it was the work of the devil or something like that. :eek:

Wooly_Cow Nov 1st 2009 1:51 am

I think it was great. Loads of little kids enjoying the sweets and the parents enjoying a walk in the sunshine....what could be nicer....a good way to build communities I think...

Oh and Halloween is All Hallow's Evening, and is because of All Souls and All Saints day - which are Christian festivals. It is a time to remember and celebrate those departed - I beleive in many Christian coutnires they even go so far as to decorate the grave yards and have picnics there.

Roll on Guy Fawkes !!

Kiwiprincess Nov 1st 2009 1:41 am

Did anyone here do a zombie walk? Someone told me the zombie walk in wellington had around 500 people.

Not sure I believe that but there were a lot of zombies around.