We've Had Enough

Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: We've Had Enough

Its simple......Great Britain is NOT Great anymore... And dont even try to wave a British flag or put an ornament of a pig in your window..Blaw Blaw Blaw... :curse: Tbh, there is to much to mention..
Old Feb 1st 2008, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi

I think overall NZ is better at this, in terms of the 'right' can-do attitude/ownership, BUT service is not quick because life is much more relaxed and casual. An example - the last time I was in Starbucks in Brown's Bay (I went often), there were two people ahead of me in the queue, yet I had to wait at least 10 minutes for my coffee - MUCH longer than I had ever waited in London! I found it incredibly frustrating (almost stopped going since I could feel my blood pressure rising - can you relate to this feeling?), although service was always with a smile and pleasant friendly greeting so as Elizabeth1 said (I think), this is something I could adapt to. But didn't during the holiday I'm speaking of. I really had to bite my tongue to ask why it was taking so long.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was driving at Uk+kiwi, I can totally relate to the feeling. Because it used to drive me absolutely nuts, incredibly frustrating. Everything taking soooooo long, I used to think to myself, "what the heck is up with this place? HURRY UP!!" lol.

But then over time it gradually dawned on me that I had to accept that NZ is more relaxed and laid back in everything and that's, in fact, what I love about the place anyway. So I had to accept that the services aren't running on over-drive. Everything slows down which is what I love about here because at least you feel like you have time to enjoy life instead of racing through it like I used to in London.

It takes time to unwind from the UK frenetic, frantic, manic pace and adjust to this relaxing mode but once you do it's wonderful! We just need to adapt and adjust, and if you're prepared to do that, you wont be so frustrated and uptight but will start enjoying the kiwi lifestyle.

Last edited by Elizabeth I; Feb 1st 2008 at 12:28 am.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:06 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
Exactly! I can honestly say that with a positive "can-do" attitude like that, given time, you should see good rewards for your efforts here, that has been my experience anyway, fwiw. And if it's the "outdoors" you want, this is the place!
and if you want a big mortgage too, and want to pay lots of tax most of which will go on welfare payments. Can't see much yet that would persuade the OP that NZ is going to resolve many of the issues he has with the UK.......he could have reward for his efforts and the "outdoors" in Oz too.

Last edited by Nerine; Feb 1st 2008 at 1:13 am.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by Wessa
Its simple......Great Britain is NOT Great anymore... And dont even try to wave a British flag or put an ornament of a pig in your window..Blaw Blaw Blaw... :curse: Tbh, there is to much to mention..
If it's fervent nationalism you want come to Oz - virtually compulsory to have the Southern Cross tatooed to some part of your antatomy. People here are proud of their country and rightly so.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Nerine
and if you want a big mortgage too, and want to pay lots of tax most of which will go on welfare payments. Can't see much yet that would persuade that NZ is going to resolve many of the issues he has with the UK.......

huh? Everyone has to pay taxes and most people all over the world (including the UK) have big mortgages. That's almost universal no matter where anyone lives. So somehow, I don't think he's under the delusion that he doesn't have to pay taxes in NZ and that he can buy a house without a mortgage.

But in case he is I'll make a public announcement to all intending migrants:

Hey, we pay taxes in NZ. And we have mortagages, sometimes big ones to buy houses.

End of public announcement.

Thanking thee.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 6:50 am

plummyscum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lexylou
and then you can migrate to a country that can do all of that for you! It is all relative really. They leave poland to get a better life, you leave the UK to get a better life. UK lets them in. NZ lets you in. Is it really on the big scale of life any different? Are we not all doing what we can for our family? like I said earlier, I have no pride in being British. As a nation we have always gone overseas to make a new life, being Scottish I have more family out of Scotland than I do in, but getting wound up about things does not really help. The UK is bad, I agree, in many many ways, however a lot of the things you say are also relative to NZ. In more ways that you might imagine. All a case of robbing Peter to pay Tom.

I wish you good luck with your move. I hope it works out but I think being so bitter about where you are from wont actually help you. It will come back and bite you in the ass. The reason I know this is I was the same as you before leaving the UK. Had to eat a lot of humble pie when returning back to live in Scotland. The UK is not all bad you know. You never know when you are going to need it.
I agree - and I don't blame anyone wanting to get a better life - absolutely not but it says more about Poland than it says about th UK. Poland must be a miserable place to live!!

However - my point is that wherever we go in the world - my family and I will not get this kind of financial assistance and, moreover, we don't want it.

We stand or we fall on what we take with us. As for returning to the UK - it will never happen. I feel nothing about the place I was born in.

I'm a bit wound up - I'd agree with that - I think I said it was a pretty directionless anger to so all I can do is move away from the source of that irritation. Last year I was in Normandy - I took the children to the landing beaches and to the war graves, I am very aware of where I am from and what my forefathers did to protect the notion of what Great Britain was. I am under no illusion that so much of that pride and achievement has been washed away and forgotton about by successive generations of grabbing and selfish stupidity by both people and government.

My issues with life here in the UK are broad and deep, they are born of experiences both personal and professional, they are born of the news I might hear here but also of the life we both see day to day at work and at home. There has to be a better way of living - a hand to mouth existance to the day I die is hardly preferable to an outdoor life in a less populated country where family life, on the surface, is valued and extolled.

NZ might have it's problems but we go with our eyes wide open to a place where we have chosen to be.

That's as much as I can say on the subject.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by plummyscum
I agree - and I don't blame anyone wanting to get a better life - absolutely not but it says more about Poland than it says about th UK. Poland must be a miserable place to live!!

However - my point is that wherever we go in the world - my family and I will not get this kind of financial assistance and, moreover, we don't want it.

We stand or we fall on what we take with us. As for returning to the UK - it will never happen. I feel nothing about the place I was born in.

I'm a bit wound up - I'd agree with that - I think I said it was a pretty directionless anger to so all I can do is move away from the source of that irritation. Last year I was in Normandy - I took the children to the landing beaches and to the war graves, I am very aware of where I am from and what my forefathers did to protect the notion of what Great Britain was. I am under no illusion that so much of that pride and achievement has been washed away and forgotton about by successive generations of grabbing and selfish stupidity by both people and government.

My issues with life here in the UK are broad and deep, they are born of experiences both personal and professional, they are born of the news I might hear here but also of the life we both see day to day at work and at home. There has to be a better way of living - a hand to mouth existance to the day I die is hardly preferable to an outdoor life in a less populated country where family life, on the surface, is valued and extolled.

NZ might have it's problems but we go with our eyes wide open to a place where we have chosen to be.

as long as you are coming with your eyes wide open then you will be fine......i hope it all works out for you and yours....gl....now go and have a stiff drink and unwind....chill out now...your coming to NZ....
Old Feb 5th 2008, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by psa2570
Whoa, and i thought it was only me.
You ought to read my little rant on "reasons for moving to NZ" thread, post #95. My missus felt obliged to apologise for me lest someone think i'm a card carrying BNP member or something.
I can fully understand your reasons for wanting out of the UK, I just wasn't as diplomatic as you.
I hope it comes off for you, we want to get out to NZ asap ourselves.
Be good,
Paul.
Hi Paul
We r back living in Grimsby after spending 18 months in New Zealand. It is certainly not the place it was. Freeman Street has died, the polish have taken most of the grotty shops there, my son has not had a place in a decent school in over a year, so he is home tutored. Think carefully
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heavenlyscent
Hi Paul
We r back living in Grimsby after spending 18 months in New Zealand. It is certainly not the place it was. Freeman Street has died, the polish have taken most of the grotty shops there, my son has not had a place in a decent school in over a year, so he is home tutored. Think carefully
and this was the mistake you made....
you moved to NZ, for whatever reasons you moved back to the UK. But you moved back to the exact same place you left. I really do believe in never going back. Not completely. There are many many places in the UK that you will be able to get your child into a school and a good one at that and where all the shops are not taken over by polish (although am not sure that this is a bad thing, is it???).

We moved to Chch from Edinburgh. We loved Edinburgh but we needed a change. NZ did not work out for whatever reasons. We moved back and moved somewhere else in Scotland and we are so happy. Edinburgh would never have worked again for us. We love where we are. We love our 'new' life and I can assure you the schools and the NHS and everything else here in our town is very good. We thought long long and hard about where to move to and we did months of research. We are happy and we have everything that our old life in Edinburgh could not give us and our old life in NZ could not give us. The UK is a big place, do not get so upset about just one part of it. The UK I see in the paper every day is nothing like the UK I live in. I mean that 100%. I never see any crime where I am and never ever feel under threat or like I am being taken over by 'polish' LOL.....

So, move somewhere different, you have moved to NZ and back so a move somewhere else in the UK might not be such a hard move after all you have been through.

Don't get me wrong life is NOT PERFECT......The weather is not great! I could do with more sun but really that is my only complaint. I really am happy with everything else. I get an appointment EVERY time on that day, for a Doctor, my daughter has never had to wait any more than 4 hours to see one (she is over 2) and from what I know both primary schools are very good in our town and the high school is just about to be knocked down and a state of the art one in its place, so life is not all bad. Certainly have never heard of anyone here not being able to get in, in fact most parents here have a choice of schools around here, from small village schools to the town schools.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

I am utterly perplexed when I see this kind of criticism of the UK. Perhaps I'm just privileged to live in The New Forest (well, OK I know we are the creme de la creme) but I just don't see any of the cited problems.

I remember when I left in 1978 for Sydney - I was living in a three-car household, took multiple holidays overseas, wanted for nothing. Within a couple of years I was reading (Probably in Sydney Daily Telegraph - noted Pommy bater) about riots in every city, millions unemployed, thousands queuing at Australia House clamouring to be accepted for immigration.

I came back for the first time in 1983 and have made frequent trips back - the most recent has lasted twelve years.

My standards must just be abysmally low - well I do support Tottenham Hotspur!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by luvwelly
So the Torygraph is on the doom and gloom as well. Actually I was amazed when I read this...then I thought about it...if it's true, for them to claim this, they would have to be declaring all their income to the authorities...this is a good thing as it means they are paying their way like the rest on PAYE. If they are paying their way then why shouldn't they get the same allowances on the amount of tax they pay...they won't be on the highest wages after all. Surely certain people prefer them not to bring the kids over..because then they would need bigger housing...you can't have it all ways.....

People working in the Black economy and avoiding tax is not such a good thing.....I resent members of the indigenous population who do that as well.
Sadly, you are wrong.

As EU citizens - they have the right to go anywhere in the EEA and claim anything that any indiginous citizen can claim. Child benefit is not a means tested benefit.

There is no stipulation on contributions per se simply proof you are a citizen of an EEA country.

I'm paying for them to send it back to Poland - who can blame them?
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by saveme
I am utterly perplexed when I see this kind of criticism of the UK. Perhaps I'm just privileged to live in The New Forest (well, OK I know we are the creme de la creme) but I just don't see any of the cited problems.

I remember when I left in 1978 for Sydney - I was living in a three-car household, took multiple holidays overseas, wanted for nothing. Within a couple of years I was reading (Probably in Sydney Daily Telegraph - noted Pommy bater) about riots in every city, millions unemployed, thousands queuing at Australia House clamouring to be accepted for immigration.

I came back for the first time in 1983 and have made frequent trips back - the most recent has lasted twelve years.

My standards must just be abysmally low - well I do support Tottenham Hotspur!
You lived here throughout the 70's. Winter of discontent? Oil crisis of 1973?

Ring any bells?

Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:36 pm

I can understand your frustrations with Britain and why you want to move away but I think you're romanticising life in NZ.

If you need to go then go, but understand that if you earn the national average wage in NZ you too will probably be an immigrant claiming benefits.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Ring any bells?

She left in 1978....before the winter of discontent maybe....Margaret Thatcher was elected in May 1979 (I was a teenager) suddenly there were 3 million unemployed (which did not help the social fabric one iota) .....and the rest is history.

Agree procedures need tightening up re proof of kids etc for child benefit claims if what you say is true. It would be widely open to abuse/fictional claims. I have claimed child benefit (non means tested) in another EU country and it wasn't straightforward at all and took ages.

The grass isn't always greener though......although if you are in Poland it may well be.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

Ring any bells?

1973 I had no trouble getting a job, we had our three cars but then four out of five were working, I drank far too much of course, gave my parents a lot of grief, only managed one holiday abroad to Benidorm that year. I honestly can't think of a single year in the 70's when times were hard (until I went out of my comfort zone and took off to OZ in 1978!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.