We've Had Enough

Old Jan 31st 2008, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: We've Had Enough

Originally Posted by Nerine
The OP also said they had a strong work ethic........
LOL....well, some people here like to work. Just not me.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 5:32 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by luvwelly
A good test of how the poster truly feels would be to not read any UK newspapers for a month, nor watch any News media/internet so a bit like being abroad on holiday in a foreign country where you don't speak the language...take a break from the stress and rubbish the media throws at us...then see if you still feel the same or slightly more relaxed.
Sounds like a sensible plan to me.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:48 am

plummyscum is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow - there's some interesting views here!!

We want to have a better work/home balance - I think we can acheive that in NZ. We cannot do this in the UK - to buy a bigger house for example - I would have to mortgage myself to the hilt and borrow £300,000 - the thought of that makes me want to cry.

I'm sick of paying £1000 in income tax every month for nothing in return. Our boys are sent overseas to fight with crap equipment, our hospitals are full of infections, our streets are violent and society in some parts is breaking down - I can't even get my bins emptied. I have been attacked at work on a number of occasions, the dept can't even pay me properly and it's never anyone's fault, I'm £400 short this month because some cretin forgot to key in my weekend working. No-one bats an eyelid, you are just expected to cope.

That's what most of us have become - the coping class. Forgot working class, middle class et al. COPING CLASS.

Guys - the Home Secretary said last week she was afraid to go out at night in Kensington!! What hope in Lewisham or even Sheffield!! WWhere we live - there are now Polish food shops opening but the post office is being shut!!

I want to live somewhere where I don't feel 'crowded' - we want a healthier outdoor lifestyle too.

We are under no illusion that it is NOT the land of milk and honey - we may have to rent and we WILL have to work our socks off but the tangiable benefits of being somewhere by choice, doing something together as a family make the risks involved worthwhile. When civil servants and nurses have had enough - surely that says there must be some big problems with life in the UK?

I'd rather die on my feet than go on living on my knees.

Last edited by plummyscum; Jan 31st 2008 at 6:55 am.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plummyscum
Spent a month in NZ last year ostensibly to see some friends who moved to Nelson from the UK.

We've come back to the UK and realised what a toilet the place has become. I'm a civil servant and my wife is a nurse, we both have a very strong service ethos but we also have two kids and cannot see a future here. I am regularly abused at work and my wife is sick of not being able to nurse people to the standard she was taught. We have nothing left over at the end of the month, indeed we often spend more out than comes in, we hardly see one another and when we do, it's only to catch up with sleep!! We work our backsides off and get nowhere.

We will need to work - we will need a mortgage - who cares though when you can live in a beautiful place with lovely people and sense of community.

I envy anyone who has made this move and we can't wait to come over and leave behind the sinking ship that is the UK. 4 hour commutes - dirty hospitals -underfunded public services - crap education and uncontrolled immigration to the benefit of no-one.

I never thought I'd ever say this but I have grown to hate living here.

Anyone else had a similar 'road to Damascus' moment?
Yep, we've been on Sunshine Coast in Oz for 2mths now & its amazing! Good luck
Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:11 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

We are under no illusion that it is NOT the land of milk and honey - we may have to rent and we WILL have to work our socks off but the tangiable benefits of being somewhere by choice, doing something together as a family make the risks involved worthwhile.

Exactly! I can honestly say that with a positive "can-do" attitude like that, given time, you should see good rewards for your efforts here, that has been my experience anyway, fwiw. And if it's the "outdoors" you want, this is the place!
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:03 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
A good test of how the poster truly feels would be to not read any UK newspapers for a month, nor watch any News media/internet so a bit like being abroad on holiday in a foreign country where you don't speak the language...take a break from the stress and rubbish the media throws at us...then see if you still feel the same or slightly more relaxed.
Reading the NZ media can be equally depressing...child abuse, murder, gangs, roaddeaths etc etc - our ancestors were arguably healthier mentally because they didn't have to worry about the whole world's problems the whole time.

Any down in the dumps women could also try abstaining from Women's Mags which simply exist to make you feel inadequate about yourselves and to make money for the advertisers.
Fantastic advice.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:13 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

That's what most of us have become - the coping class. Forgot working class, middle class et al. COPING CLASS.

I'd rather die on my feet than go on living on my knees.
Love the comment about 'coping class'. Although I suspect what you are really after is efficiency and great customer service.

I think overall NZ is better at this, in terms of the 'right' can-do attitude/ownership, BUT service is not quick because life is much more relaxed and casual. An example - the last time I was in Starbucks in Brown's Bay (I went often), there were two people ahead of me in the queue, yet I had to wait at least 10 minutes for my coffee - MUCH longer than I had ever waited in London! I found it incredibly frustrating (almost stopped going since I could feel my blood pressure rising - can you relate to this feeling?), although service was always with a smile and pleasant friendly greeting so as Elizabeth1 said (I think), this is something I could adapt to. But didn't during the holiday I'm speaking of. I really had to bite my tongue to ask why it was taking so long.

The USA is the land of efficiency and service though.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

I've just been reading this thread and must say the level of debate is excellent and gives us all much food for thought. There's some great points brought up and discussed and the analysis and comments are very informative.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:42 pm

plummyscum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by whitesand
I've just been reading this thread and must say the level of debate is excellent and gives us all much food for thought. There's some great points brought up and discussed and the analysis and comments are very informative.
It just makes me mad..!!

People like us on this forum are the bedrock on which British society is presumably built. Yet we are being driven to look for something better where we can have some degree of control over our lives.

Increasingly, we are being taken for granted. Take from us and give to every other bugger.

Did anyone notice (?) that report the other day in the Telegraph that was saying a married Polish person living in the UK can claim family allowance for his kids EVEN if his family stay in Poland!! This costs UK PLC £23,000,000 every year and is taken up by all those eligible for the payment.

And what's worse - CAN ANYONE BLAME THEM? No - I blame the stupid rules that we adhere to here.

Britannia might rule the waves but perhaps Britannia should waive the rules a bit more.

I grow more angry by the day. It's an utterly directionless anger and this is why we need to get away.

At least we control that little bit of our lives!!!
Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:02 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Someone else suggested not reading the paper for a while or watching the news etc and then see how you feel about where/how you live without listening to the things that wind you up that you have no control over, like Polish child benefit.

When we were in the UK I didn't read a daily, or any come to think of it, newspaper. I didn't watch the news on TV. And I certainly didn't read womens' magazines. Not because I'm an ostrich who likes to pretend these things just aren't going on but because I'm simply wasn't interested in getting into a state everytime I read that latest outrage, EC directive, crime, Government decision, etc etc.

It doesn't mean I didn't know what was going on, I heard plenty from wound-up work colleagues and family and friends who seemed like you completely stressed out by such articles and helpless to do anything. Everyone just felt like they were working so damn hard, but not enjoying a life and the taxes and restrictions were ever increasing, and yet daily there'd be reports of multi-million spending on ludicrous things that didn't even benefit back-bone of the community workers like us.

The level of stress and disillusion seems to hang over England like a smog. It doesn't matter if you try and ignore the newspapers or the tv, you'll soon get to hear, at length, from someone else seething with stress and hopelessness.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

It just makes me mad..!!

People like us on this forum are the bedrock on which British society is presumably built. Yet we are being driven to look for something better where we can have some degree of control over our lives.

Increasingly, we are being taken for granted. Take from us and give to every other bugger.

Did anyone notice (?) that report the other day in the Telegraph that was saying a married Polish person living in the UK can claim family allowance for his kids EVEN if his family stay in Poland!! This costs UK PLC £23,000,000 every year and is taken up by all those eligible for the payment.

And what's worse - CAN ANYONE BLAME THEM? No - I blame the stupid rules that we adhere to here.

Britannia might rule the waves but perhaps Britannia should waive the rules a bit more.

I grow more angry by the day. It's an utterly directionless anger and this is why we need to get away.

At least we control that little bit of our lives!!!
and then you can migrate to a country that can do all of that for you! It is all relative really. They leave poland to get a better life, you leave the UK to get a better life. UK lets them in. NZ lets you in. Is it really on the big scale of life any different? Are we not all doing what we can for our family? like I said earlier, I have no pride in being British. As a nation we have always gone overseas to make a new life, being Scottish I have more family out of Scotland than I do in, but getting wound up about things does not really help. The UK is bad, I agree, in many many ways, however a lot of the things you say are also relative to NZ. In more ways that you might imagine. All a case of robbing Peter to pay Tom.

I wish you good luck with your move. I hope it works out but I think being so bitter about where you are from wont actually help you. It will come back and bite you in the ass. The reason I know this is I was the same as you before leaving the UK. Had to eat a lot of humble pie when returning back to live in Scotland. The UK is not all bad you know. You never know when you are going to need it.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lexylou
and then you can migrate to a country that can do all of that for you! It is all relative really. They leave poland to get a better life, you leave the UK to get a better life. UK lets them in. NZ lets you in. Is it really on the big scale of life any different? Are we not all doing what we can for our family? like I said earlier, I have no pride in being British. As a nation we have always gone overseas to make a new life, being Scottish I have more family out of Scotland than I do in, but getting wound up about things does not really help. The UK is bad, I agree, in many many ways, however a lot of the things you say are also relative to NZ. In more ways that you might imagine. All a case of robbing Peter to pay Tom.

I wish you good luck with your move. I hope it works out but I think being so bitter about where you are from wont actually help you. It will come back and bite you in the ass. The reason I know this is I was the same as you before leaving the UK. Had to eat a lot of humble pie when returning back to live in Scotland. The UK is not all bad you know. You never know when you are going to need it.
i agree with all of the above....jacky
Old Jan 31st 2008, 9:37 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garryhg
i agree with all of the above....jacky
amen
There are good reasons and bad reasons to emmigrate. Some of don't really know the reason when we go and only find out once we've arrived. Still not sure about our reasons as we are still in holiday mode.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

So the Torygraph is on the doom and gloom as well. Actually I was amazed when I read this...then I thought about it...if it's true, for them to claim this, they would have to be declaring all their income to the authorities...this is a good thing as it means they are paying their way like the rest on PAYE. If they are paying their way then why shouldn't they get the same allowances on the amount of tax they pay...they won't be on the highest wages after all. Surely certain people prefer them not to bring the kids over..because then they would need bigger housing...you can't have it all ways.....

People working in the Black economy and avoiding tax is not such a good thing.....I resent members of the indigenous population who do that as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.