We've Had Enough

Old Feb 8th 2008, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default One of life's mysteries............

If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them, what do you call it?
Old Feb 8th 2008, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

lizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud of
Default Re: We've Had Enough

Originally Posted by plummyscum
Well, we live in the Peak District and we figure that it's about as good as it can be if you live in the UK but we are still unhappy because of the things I mentioned.

The lack of respect for people in public service is a big thing for us both - not least by our employers who treat us like poo.

I believe you must earn your right to be a citizen - I see too much of our money given away to our own pond scum and any old waif and stray who happens to get lucky and get in.

We've had enough.

The move to NZ is for us and our kids.
Its exactly the same in NZ. Do not live in a dream world that its some sort of Utopia here.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lizard
Its exactly the same in NZ. Do not live in a dream world that its some sort of Utopia here.

What do they call 'dole-bludgers' in NZ?
Old Feb 8th 2008, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Me old bamboo..............

Originally Posted by saveme
What do they call 'dole-bludgers' in NZ?
Hmmmmmm...........unsure of that one.............in my time we used to call it UB40 or as an alternative 'on the jam'

On the jam = Jam Roll = Dole

NG
Old Feb 8th 2008, 11:50 am
The Wicked One

spid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud of
Default Re: One of life's mysteries............

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them, what do you call it?
An old friend!
Old Feb 8th 2008, 6:03 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Archangel
Hi Mandy welcome to the forum. Thanks for putting your side across.

I am not here to point a finger and say this is wrong or that right.

My parents were invited over to work in England in the 50s because they couldn't fill jobs by the local population. During those days Blacks/Jews and irish were not allowed to claim benefits or council housing and were often shunned from private rental housing. Times were hard as they had next to nothing, I was born in the UK and as a child I was happy, I had many friends mainly Europeans, but as a first generation British I never really felt that I belonged. I have seen the changers with new immigrants arriving and yes I think on both sides ie; those born and bread and early immigrants there is a feeling of discontent about the changes, but with anything in life changes always brings challenges. I left because I felt disillusioned with things working long hours not enough time with my OH or son economic changes and so on, so 2 yrs ago we moved to NZ and life although it had its ups and downs has been fantastic, but it took a while to realise that it wasn't England that I was unhappy with, because it is a beautiful country. it was with the way my life had set into this continuous rut in England. Most people in NZ are friendly and yes it has a lot of problems just like everywhere else, but it is my piece of heaven. Its strange I feel more excepted here than I ever did in the UK but maybe thats just me and not the people. Much of the arguments on this site has been positive, but for those coming to NZ they need to be aware that they should come for them selves and as I think someone's already said for NZ. To all those looking to NZ come for the right reasons and then you'll realise the dream. Good luck all
Hi there Archangel, where were your parent originally from?
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizard
so many people do though..... its like there is this big advert somewhere saying that if you come to NZ you will be treated with respect, there is no crime and your boss will shower you with gifts.

It is sometimes worrying the things that people move for.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yotty
Love that musical - almost the only film my Mum ever took me to see!
'Follow every stream, until you find your dream'
It's a long way to come for the wrong reasons though.

I agree with the posters who said it works better if you do not hate where you are leaving. This also seems to be true in my case where we get posted to different places...you can make the best (and NZ is one of the best) of wherever you are as you have this vision of retiring back to a home (in my case the UK), you didn't particularly want to leave in the first place.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 1:13 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Spent a month in NZ last year ostensibly to see some friends who moved to Nelson from the UK.

We've come back to the UK and realised what a toilet the place has become. I'm a civil servant and my wife is a nurse, we both have a very strong service ethos but we also have two kids and cannot see a future here. I am regularly abused at work and my wife is sick of not being able to nurse people to the standard she was taught. We have nothing left over at the end of the month, indeed we often spend more out than comes in, we hardly see one another and when we do, it's only to catch up with sleep!! We work our backsides off and get nowhere.

We will need to work - we will need a mortgage - who cares though when you can live in a beautiful place with lovely people and sense of community.

I envy anyone who has made this move and we can't wait to come over and leave behind the sinking ship that is the UK. 4 hour commutes - dirty hospitals -underfunded public services - crap education and uncontrolled immigration to the benefit of no-one.

I never thought I'd ever say this but I have grown to hate living here.

Anyone else had a similar 'road to Damascus' moment?
Hi Plummyscum,

Welcome to the forum!

Yes - my "moment" came when I returned to the UK after living abroad for 4 years and I realised how bad things were. It wasn't long before I wanted to head away again. There's no point really in me spelling out what I didn't like about the UK as someone will pipe up with the inevitable "It's just the same here" or will say, "I live in the UK and never experience that" and they would be right too. Whether or not you enjoy where you are living is such a personal thing that it's pointless arguing that your perspective is the right one and everyone else is wrong. If you are unhappy and have identified that a move might improve things for you, then go for it.

I often read on here that you will be more successful in your move if you are moving for the "right" reasons. That seems to mean moving for the positive factors of the destination rather than trying to get away from the negative factors in the UK. I always find this a tad arrogant that anyone can presume to know what the "right" reasons are for SOMEONE ELSE. As far as I am aware there has been no study to ascertain how the push/pull factors affect the degree of success of migration so it is only an opinion.

Right now we are in Perth WA and loving it more every day. We loved NZ too. Good luck with your plans to move and hope that it turns out to be just what you are after.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=I_Will_Freckle;5907078]Hi ,

Welcome to the forum!

Yes - my "moment" came when I returned to the UK after living abroad for 4 years and I realised how bad things were. It wasn't long before I wanted to head away again. There's no point really in me spelling out what I didn't like about the UK as someone will pipe up with the inevitable "It's just the same here" or will say, "I live in the UK and never experience that" and they would be right too. Whether or not you enjoy where you are living is such a personal thing that it's pointless arguing that your perspective is the right one and everyone else is wrong. If you are unhappy and have identified that a move might improve things for you, then go for it.

QUOTE]

I understand why liking or disliking the UK is a personal and subjective experience. One person's Heaven is another's Hell, etc.

However, I always 'bite' when someone refers to the UK (or Australia for that matter) in a derogatory manner. I saw someone write 'the slum that is the UK' for example (on another site I think) and someone else called it a toilet. I can't let those sort of comments go without reply!

300,000 Aussies are in the UK at any one time and it does not say much for their taste is the UK is really a slum/toilet. Just think how many are planning to come over for the 2009 Ashes!

I can't remember the exact reason why I went to Australia, probably for an adventure, but it definitely was not because I'd come to hate my homeland.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 10:02 pm

plummyscum is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no objections living where people make a contribution. Only a cretin would post a note around the notion that immigration is wrong while at the same time say they were going to emigrate themselves.

So can we leave behind the notion that it's all Poland's et al fault because it is not and I certainly did not suggest it was. The system is there to be used and they use it to their advantage as would anyone. I am angry at the system not the people who use it.

BUT that contribution has to be proportionate to what they take out of the system and that applies to everyone and this applies as much to the scum that are British who like to make it their occupation to do nothing.

I pay my way - I expect everyone else to do too and I do not think this unreasonable - it forms part of the social contract between citizen and government and I pay every month to keep my part of the bargain - it's called PAYE.

However - as a fully paid up member of British society - it is my right to question how my money is spent and on any number of fronts where my money get's spent - I am not happy.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 10:09 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

I am not happy.
I can sense that...
Old Feb 9th 2008, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

mandy77 is just really nicemandy77 is just really nicemandy77 is just really nicemandy77 is just really nicemandy77 is just really nicemandy77 is just really nicemandy77 is just really nicemandy77 is just really nicemandy77 is just really nice

I can sense that...
happynz that really tickled me.

Seriously plummyscum, I wasn't implying that you had suggested it. It was just where the conversation went after that.

I actually understand where you are coming from with most of what you are saying. Most of the reason I want to emigrate is for my kids. I don't hate the UK, it is, for good or for bad, part of who I am, [to some degree it matters where you live though] but I do worry for my kids as I think I could give them something better.

You sound like you are fed up and that is not unreasonable of course. I totally agree about the benefits point, I've never claimed dole but used to know plenty on the estate where I grew up who did due to sheer laziness and it really used to get on my nerves [I'm not friends with them anymore, I moved away]. And to be fair, being a civil servant, you probably come across more than your fair share of mouthy, stupid, lazy little gobshites so you see more of the bad side of the UK than me. Are all ppl nicer in NZ??

If you don't mind my saying though, I don't think that it's the country that has changed so suddenly, it sounds like it's you. If you have had enough, then you should go. If nothing else, a change of scenery may be exactly what you need. In a few years, when you're happy in NZ, you may look back and think aww, the UK wasn't so bad At the very least, your upset at the UK may work in your favour as you'd work extra hard to make your move successful.

Everybody will have their own reasons for leaving. Removing all the anger, toilets and crap from your post my reasons are the same as yours. If none of us hadn't had our moments, for whatever reason, we'd none of us be contemplating emigrating in the first place.

Will you be looking at moving near to your friends in Nelson? I've heard it's very nice around there.

Anyway, just go for it. If you are feeling like you are, it will not get any better. The frustration and anger will eat at you and affect you and your family anyway. Maybe if you start your immigration process off and you've got something to work towards/aim for, life won't seem as bad.

Oh and find a really gorgeous picture of NZ [shouldn't be too hard] and take it to work with you so that every time you talk to some little turd and you're feeling stressed, you can look at this pic and feel better

All the best

Mandy
Old Feb 9th 2008, 11:15 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no objections living where people make a contribution. Only a cretin would post a note around the notion that immigration is wrong while at the same time say they were going to emigrate themselves.

So can we leave behind the notion that it's all Poland's et al fault because it is not and I certainly did not suggest it was. The system is there to be used and they use it to their advantage as would anyone. I am angry at the system not the people who use it.

BUT that contribution has to be proportionate to what they take out of the system and that applies to everyone and this applies as much to the scum that are British who like to make it their occupation to do nothing.

I pay my way - I expect everyone else to do too and I do not think this unreasonable - it forms part of the social contract between citizen and government and I pay every month to keep my part of the bargain - it's called PAYE.

However - as a fully paid up member of British society - it is my right to question how my money is spent and on any number of fronts where my money get's spent - I am not happy.
And why do you expect that NZ will be any different?
Old Feb 9th 2008, 11:24 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Plummyscum:

Just concentrate on this:

Attached Thumbnails We've Had Enough-2007_nz_-00945.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.