Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

We've been camping!

We've been camping!

Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:36 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default We've been camping!

Well we had a great time camping in our little tent up in Waitomo.
We've seen many strange and wonderful things, including:

Ostriche and emu farms
Giant gumboots, kiwis, moas, apples by the road side.
The inside of the Cookie Time plane
Angora rabbits being sheared
Glowworms
A possum
Lots of squished possums, some being eaten by hawks
Lots of cows
Lots of sheeps
Lots of green fields and blue skies
A huuge limestone cave
The oldest Totara tree in the world (about 1700 years old)
Kiwis, tuataras, keas, kakas at a wildlife park
We've definitely been to the wopwops

Pictures (and movies) to follow!!
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:39 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We've been camping!

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Well we had a great time camping in our little tent up in Waitomo.
We've seen many strange and wonderful things, including:

Ostriche and emu farms
Giant gumboots, kiwis, moas, apples by the road side.
The inside of the Cookie Time plane
Angora rabbits being sheared
Glowworms
A possum
Lots of squished possums, some being eaten by hawks
Lots of cows
Lots of sheeps
Lots of green fields and blue skies
A huuge limestone cave
The oldest Totara tree in the world (about 1700 years old)
Kiwis, tuataras, keas, kakas at a wildlife park
We've definitely been to the wopwops

Pictures (and movies) to follow!!

Souns good!
A bit parky of a night-time though? Or did you get so pi55ed you didn't notice!
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:43 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Cool .... so where did you actually go?
Old Apr 12th 2007, 2:39 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

We stayed at the Top 10 Holiday Park in Waitomo Caves village.

Drove from Wellington and saw some of the stuff on the way, and the way back

It got quite cool at night but not so bad - we had a cosy sleeping bag each, one underneath us and a fleece blanket on top of us

We went to The Warehouse on day 2 and bought thicker roll-up mattresses.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

i've stayed there, its just across the road from the pub if i remember rightly

and i also saw those angora bunnies being shorn ...OMG they were enormous and it looks so cruel but funny at the same time, I showed pics to people in the uk and they thought the bunny was false

was cold when we were there too, woke up to ice on the windscreen
Old Apr 12th 2007, 2:56 am
Happy in Wellington

I have before and after shots

It wasn't that cold for us! Lots of dew on the grass but nowhere near freezing.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

I have before and after shots

It wasn't that cold for us! Lots of dew on the grass but nowhere near freezing.
we were there end of may 2005 so much closer to winter

i think i have before and after ones too....i couldnt stop laughing when i saw them doing that, it looked like it was strung up ready to be cooked on a spit
Old Apr 12th 2007, 3:19 am
Happy in Wellington

Originally Posted by kwprwn
we were there end of may 2005 so much closer to winter

i think i have before and after ones too....i couldnt stop laughing when i saw them doing that, it looked like it was strung up ready to be cooked on a spit
I know! Poor bunny!

Did the woman in the shop follow you aiound showing you products? We waited 'til someone else distracted her and made a run for the door
Old Apr 12th 2007, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

I know! Poor bunny!

Did the woman in the shop follow you aiound showing you products? We waited 'til someone else distracted her and made a run for the door
yes she did, and I was on my own as my hubby was doing the blackwater rafting so I was a viable option for stuff to be sold, fortunately a load of japanese turned up so she jumped on them, never thought I would be grateful for japanese tourists
Old Apr 12th 2007, 6:41 pm
Happy in Wellington

Before and after shots!
Attached Thumbnails We've been camping!-dsc04791.jpg   We've been camping!-dsc04792.jpg  
Old Apr 12th 2007, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Before and after shots!
Poor poor bunny
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:21 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Before and after shots!

Awww poor thing
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:26 pm
Happy in Wellington

Apparently if they're not shaved every six months they pop their bunny clogs The one being shaved didn't seem distressed or anything and the woman was obviously fon d of them and taking a lot of care. They have 350 of them apparently! Imagine all of them together - it'd be like it'd snowed giant marshmallows!
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Apparently if they're not shaved every six months they pop their bunny clogs The one being shaved didn't seem distressed or anything and the woman was obviously fon d of them and taking a lot of care. They have 350 of them apparently! Imagine all of them together - it'd be like it'd snowed giant marshmallows!
I remember her saying that, its cus they would over heat cus of all that fluff