We've Arrived!

Old Oct 9th 2010, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

donnisons has a spectacular aura aboutdonnisons has a spectacular aura aboutdonnisons has a spectacular aura about
Smile We've Arrived!

We arrived yesterday after our long trip across Amercia and so far we are loving it. We are staying in Auckland, but are setting off soon on a trip around North Island, then to South Island to look for somewhere to live. Haven't decided on exact route or places we will be stopping yet - suggestions welcome.

We bought a car today, picking it up on Tuesday - can anyone advise on car insurance, looked at a few quotes online but they seem expensive. Obviously we don't have an address yet, so not sure if this is having an impact on the cost? - Any advice welcome.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 9:00 am
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We've Arrived!

sorry can't give you any advice on your questions, just wanted to say welcome to NZ!
Old Oct 9th 2010, 10:04 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy your trip around NZ. Have you got jobs planned or just looking and hoping?
As for car insurance, I renewed mine last month for $400- fully comp, 8yo 1.8L engine. I phoned round a few and all the prices were similar. That is with a guaranteed no claims bonus as well. When I bought my car I insured it with the AA [this was on a visitor's permit though I told them I was approved in principle], that was around $400. I did have a permanent address though. Long story!
They were very lax at checking my insurance history, I had had a company car for many years so had no paperwork. They believed me when I said I had been driving for 15 years without a single claim or accident and didn't ask for proof. And that is and was the truth! I wouldn't have the nerve to lie

Last edited by Persephone; Oct 9th 2010 at 11:01 am.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 10:05 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi & welcome to NZ hope you had a fantastic journey over.

We have insured through AA did go up when we moved from Nelson to SI we asked why and they said its all to do with the postcode. More claims from here apparently

Dewb
Old Oct 9th 2010, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

AMI for ins, by far the cheapest for us come and say hello when u are in ChCh

Neil
Old Oct 10th 2010, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
AMI for ins, by far the cheapest for us come and say hello when u are in ChCh

Neil
I'd second that. We'd already got our insurance with the AA but will go AMI next year. Enjoy the trip it sounds amazing
Old Oct 10th 2010, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

I use State insurance, about $400 fully comp.
Old Oct 10th 2010, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Aliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to all

And if I may? Suggest somewhere to stay. . . Temahia bay resort Marlborough sounds. But of a drive to get there but the most amazing place I've ever seen!!! The whole bay belongs to the resort it's magical

Ali
Old Oct 11th 2010, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

donnisons has a spectacular aura aboutdonnisons has a spectacular aura aboutdonnisons has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for your excellent advice as usual and the good wishes. Picked car up today and went with State for insurance.

Still looking for suggestions on where to check out as possible places to live.

Is this weather normal for spring, it's freezing (we are currently in Auckland) -I'm off to buy a warm jacket tomorrow!

Got NZ driving licence today, very simple got a private mailbox address, went to the bank and got printout of address confirmation, went to AA building, had a quick eye test paid my $52.10 and that was it. We also applied for our IRD numbers at the same time.

No job as yet, hubby is physics teacher, so hopefully he will get a job, but we are concentrating on where we would like to live first and are looking forward to our trip around NZ.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

rogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donnisons
Got NZ driving licence today, very simple got a private mailbox address, went to the bank and got printout of address confirmation, went to AA building, had a quick eye test paid my $52.10 and that was it. We also applied for our IRD numbers at the same time.
I was in the queue behind you!

The AA lady asked if I knew you as we had the same address! Had to explain that the www.privatebox.co.nz physical address in Wellington was a mailing address.

On our tour of the North Island we visited "our home" to collect post. It's quite a small but efficient operation and can also be used to get slightly cheaper AA membership (as it's not Auckland).

We purchased a car with Toyota and took their insurance as there wasn't much in the price difference.

Enjoy your journey and drop in on our joint home.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 8:24 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Welcome to New Zealand Donnisons
Old Oct 11th 2010, 8:57 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Ooo, welcome, welcome. Yesterday was freezing here today, goodness knows what's happened to the weather?

It's difficult to suggest where you should visit without knowing what kind of place you envisaged? Sub-tropical? Rural ideal? Pacific Ocean? Peace and Quiet? Hustle and bustle? Give us a clue!

I'm sure you'll love the journey anyway!
Old Oct 12th 2010, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Now where do we want to be? That is the question.... I think we are a bit too open really, I'm thinking everything on your list Am Loolah (except maybe hustle and bustle), I appreciate we wouldn't get it all in one package, but we want to go see all those places so we can try to decide where we like the best. Any suggestions? Think we are heading north first, but not sure how far we will go because I'm really not liking this weather and think it is probably a place to visit in the sunshine??

Roger - where you directly behind us in the queue? (think I recognise your forehead now you come to mention it) What a shame I didn't know at the time I would have said hello! Hope you left "our home" nice and tidy! The reason I choose Wellington as an address was the car insurance seemed a lot cheaper than Auckland. Where are you heading to?

Keep the suggestions coming please
Old Oct 13th 2010, 8:07 am
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't have anything more to contribute, but I just wanted to say that donnisonfamily your blog is excellent!!!
Old Oct 13th 2010, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

rogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donnisons
Where are you heading to?
Prior to moving here, I've visited NZ twice before and have a sister who moved here herself about ten years ago. So I already know a little about my new home. Will explore more and in depth once I'm working.

I'm still at the "talking to a recruitment agencies and attending job interviews" stage. I'll know where I heading once the right offer and right location comes along.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.