Reload this Page >

West Coast South Island information sought

West Coast South Island information sought

Old Dec 31st 2015, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Wastwater is an unknown quantity at this point
Default West Coast South Island information sought

Hi all
My wife and I are looking at returning to NZ this year. We were in Waikato previously and gained citizenship of NZ. Sadly we had to return to UK for family reasons. Now 3 yrs on we are able to return. I have employment offer in health care in Greymouth.

Wondered if people could advise on area, housing, cost living, climate etc. we are both mid 50s no kids spare time for me landscape photography!

Any tips advice or contacts truly welcomed.

Simon
Old Dec 31st 2015, 10:41 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: West Coast South Island information sought

Greymouth is a rather small one horse town type of place. It is a working town . Quite isolated, it being on the West Coast.

West Coast is known for inclement weather . Sand flies abound.

I'll ping Buzzy. I think he lived in the area for a bit.
Old Dec 31st 2015, 10:53 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Simon and welcome!

You'll be spoilt for choice with your hobby over on the west coast! Lots of great photography opportunities within easy reach.

Climate wise - lots of rain! And then some more rain! The west coast is famous for its rain. However, when the sun shines it is, IMO, one of the most beautiful places on earth. I would check out some climate websites and see how much rainfall there is and if it will be a problem for you.

Not too sure about cost of living or housing. Check out trademe for properties and Countdown for groceries. Fuel is pretty affordable here atm - in my area (Christchurch/Canterbury) petrol is about $1.80/litre.

As for areas to live in, I think this is best done when you arrive. Rent for at least a year and figure out a place where you would like to stay longer term or if you even do want to stay longer term in that particular area of NZ.

As for the place itself I would say it's very quiet. If you prefer a buzzy town with lots going on then you will more than likely not enjoy Greymouth! It's very rural and what a lot of people would describe as isolated. So if that's your thing (it sort of is for me!) then you'll no doubt enjoy living there.

Good luck with the move!

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Dec 31st 2015 at 10:57 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 6:27 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, we lived on the West Coast. It's a great place to live if you have employment and you can cope with the isolation. It is VERY rural. Many people have lived there for generations and there are a lot of large families with a lot of branches of the family. You have to fit in. Don't expect anyone to fit in with you in any way. The worst thing you can do on the Coast is suggest that anything is better anywhere else. If you can achieve that, if you can become what Helen Clark referred to as "feral" people then you will fit in very well and have a great life.

BB