Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

We're thinking of moving to NZ next year...what about the kids?

We're thinking of moving to NZ next year...what about the kids?

Old May 28th 2006, 5:28 pm
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute
Default We're thinking of moving to NZ next year...what about the kids?

Hey everyone,
We are seriously contemplating moving to NZ when I finish my midwifery training next year and want to know so much - this site is GREAT
I do have a few questions but there is lots of time for this.
I am a bit worried about my kids - they are 8 and 10 now. Anyone got any advice on how we can help them to adjust? What are the schools like? What's good about life in NZ for them? We are hoping to head to Auckland.

Also - how easy is it for your OH to find work? Midwives are in high demand so will secure my job before we leave but need to find reputable recruitment agency for hubbie - he is a bit worried about the sensible stuff like pensions etc.
Anyway this is my first thread so will leave it there but would love to hear from anyone about this or anything that you think would be useful for us to know. Would love to hear from any British midwives working in NZ
Thanks in advance

Last edited by Babycatcher; May 28th 2006 at 5:32 pm.
Old May 28th 2006, 8:31 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We're thinking of moving to NZ next year...what about the kids?

Your kids will absolutely love it, they are at an age where they will still make friends really easily so I wouldn't worry one little bit about them settling
Old May 28th 2006, 9:30 pm
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

As Sky said they will be fine. My two are 7 and 9 and they settled in no problems....feels like they have been here forever. School wise they made friends very quickly and even where we live there are loads of kids and they are all in and out of each others house (not great when you come out of the shower half naked and a strange 9 year old is staring at you!) Its all turned out much better than we expected for our kids and they are very happy.
Good luck with the job hunting.
Old May 29th 2006, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

pangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the rough

Same here. Our three boys (15, 12 and 5 ) have settled really well and made new friends and get on fine at school, even though they were really shy at first.

my 12 year old cried just about all they way over on the plane cos he hadto leave his first serious girlfriend and kept asking to go back for the few months. but now he is fine - it just took time and sky television.
( and his girlfriend found someone else after a few weeks ! )

peter
Old May 29th 2006, 2:45 pm

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Guys - that's been great. Can't believe how much there is to think about and you just wanna make the right decision for all of us!
Old May 29th 2006, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice

Originally Posted by Babycatcher
Hey everyone,
We are seriously contemplating moving to NZ when I finish my midwifery training next year and want to know so much - this site is GREAT
I am a bit worried about my kids - they are 8 and 10 now. Anyone got any advice on how we can help them to adjust? What are the schools like? What's good about life in NZ for them? We are hoping to head to Auckland.

Also - how easy is it for your OH to find work? Midwives are in high demand so will secure my job before we leave but need to find reputable recruitment agency for hubbie - he is a bit worried about the sensible stuff like pensions etc.
Anyway this is my first thread so will leave it there but would love to hear from anyone about this or anything that you think would be useful for us to know. Would love to hear from any British midwives working in NZ
Thanks in advance
My children are 9 & 7 we have always talked openly with them from the beginning. We are going to Auckland this Sept and both are looking forward yes they will miss there friends but are also looking forward to a new and different life.
We spent 3 weeks last year travelling in a camper-van so they know what to expect.
Karen
Old May 29th 2006, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

jonesey will become famous soon enoughjonesey will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by minky
My children are 9 & 7 we have always talked openly with them from the beginning. We are going to Auckland this Sept and both are looking forward yes they will miss there friends but are also looking forward to a new and different life.
We spent 3 weeks last year travelling in a camper-van so they know what to expect.
Karen
We lived on the North Shore in 2003-2004 and enjoyed our time there and even had the pleasure of A+E with our teenage boy who had a head injury, but all ended fine in the end. Life is so different in NZ the lifestyle is there to be taken and enjoyed, Fishing, beach, chilled out Sunday's in Devonport small cafe bars and kids enjoyed trouble free playing on skate board parks and small classes at school, I found commuting on the Devonport ferry to Auckland CBD a breeze not a major problem. If you can get through the hard times of missing your nearest and dearest and embrace what NZ has to offer there is not a big difference to UK life except you have a better lifestyle in my opinion

Mick
Old May 30th 2006, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Amanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Babycatcher
Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance
Life in New Zealand is great for children. We have been here for almost 4 years now and live in Howick, Auckland. The kids are now 11, 8, 6 and 1 (the only true kiwi). They love school here and I have been really impressed with the quality of teaching ( 2 are at Cockle Bay primary and 1 at Somerville Intermediate). They walk to school on their own (something which if I was living in the UK probably would not happen). They have made lots of friends and joined various clubs (football, drama and art). I was feeling quite homesick a couple of months ago and mentioned to the children we were thinking of going Back to the Uk and they were absolutely horrified. I definitely think at the moment it's a safer environment for them (not so sure about the teenage years though)!

Hope this helps. Mandy.
Old May 30th 2006, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Amanda
Life in New Zealand is great for children. We have been here for almost 4 years now and live in Howick, Auckland. The kids are now 11, 8, 6 and 1 (the only true kiwi). They love school here and I have been really impressed with the quality of teaching ( 2 are at Cockle Bay primary and 1 at Somerville Intermediate). They walk to school on their own (something which if I was living in the UK probably would not happen). They have made lots of friends and joined various clubs (football, drama and art). I was feeling quite homesick a couple of months ago and mentioned to the children we were thinking of going Back to the Uk and they were absolutely horrified. I definitely think at the moment it's a safer environment for them (not so sure about the teenage years though)!

Hope this helps. Mandy.
Thanks for this I really appreciate it. Not sure how I feel about leaving my nearest and dearest like you say. Kids will probably be fine - perhaps I should be the one worrying about settling in? What do you do when you are missing home so much?
Old May 30th 2006, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up We're thinking of moving to NZ next year...what about the kids?

In response to the question "We're thinking of moving to NZ next year...what about the kids?"

Pack them in the container or if impossible try and put them in some suitcases.

Hope this helps!
Old May 30th 2006, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
In response to the question "We're thinking of moving to NZ next year...what about the kids?"

Pack them in the container or if impossible try and put them in some suitcases.

Hope this helps!
LOL very funny - I did consider leaving them but them but who would feed the cat?