Reload this Page >

Wer'e on our way.....

Wer'e on our way.....

Old Dec 4th 2006, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

newleaf is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Wer'e on our way.....

Originally Posted by Maz
Many congratulations! I'm rather jealous... Hope to join you over there in a little bit.
Thanks for that Maz. I think we were lucky to get there in just over a year!! When do you expect to go? And what area? It is the waiting bit that is the worst, then when you get the ok, it's panic..it is really going to happen. Good luck with your application.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

Talking Re: Wer'e on our way.....

Originally Posted by AnnieNell
That's great news. Good luck with the move.
On a purely selfish note, can't you come to Auckland as I'm in need of help. Gravity is making everything droop :scared: .
Ha....why not move to Hawkes Bay as I hear it is better weather than Auckland. Be one of our first members or if things dont go to plan...the only one!!!! We did do a lot of research though and 'Women Only' gym is a thing of the future, plus we will be introducing exersise for children and 'Post Natal', so we must appeal to some of the population of the area.
Old Dec 4th 2006, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Wer'e on our way.....

Originally Posted by sean n
Good luck to you. We are just at the EOI stage but I have just read a good book 'get a new life in New Zealand' written by the family that did the BBC programme 'Get a new life'. The also went out and started a franchised business so could be good reading for you. I ordered it from Amazon.
Thanks for that, will be worth reading as you say. Good luck with your application....tis worth it when you get the email!!!
Old Dec 5th 2006, 12:43 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wer'e on our way.....

Originally Posted by newleaf
Thanks for that Maz. I think we were lucky to get there in just over a year!! When do you expect to go? And what area? It is the waiting bit that is the worst, then when you get the ok, it's panic..it is really going to happen. Good luck with your application.
Thanks newleaf! Well we're going to do our recce in April for 3 weeks, focusing mainly on Wellington. I work for a large IT company and we have a few hundred people in NZ, primarily in Welly. I'm hoping to set up a few interviews before we go. Thanks for the good wishes!
Old Dec 5th 2006, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

nickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant future
Default Re: Wer'e on our way...

Hi

Re: shipping of electricals.

Bring everything. The tv's dont all work directly through the ordinary aerial-depends how new they are. But they are fine through sky and for playing DVDS etc.

Bets tip we had (from this site might I add) was to buy multi adapters from cheap shops in UK then you only have to change one plug on the adapter (much quicker and much much cheaper) Plugs are relatively expensive here. still cheaper than replacing everything though.

One thing we bought was a few NZ travel adaptors. We found some in cheapish shop in UK. Wish we had half filled a box with them! They were so convenient. Having loads would have meant we didn't don't have to keep swapping them about. we still use them 4 months later for hairdryer/phone charger/microwave etc. If you find some, buy buy buy.

Nick
Old Dec 6th 2006, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nickcharliepark
Hi

Re: shipping of electricals.

Bring everything. The tv's dont all work directly through the ordinary aerial-depends how new they are. But they are fine through sky and for playing DVDS etc.

Bets tip we had (from this site might I add) was to buy multi adapters from cheap shops in UK then you only have to change one plug on the adapter (much quicker and much much cheaper) Plugs are relatively expensive here. still cheaper than replacing everything though.

One thing we bought was a few NZ travel adaptors. We found some in cheapish shop in UK. Wish we had half filled a box with them! They were so convenient. Having loads would have meant we didn't don't have to keep swapping them about. we still use them 4 months later for hairdryer/phone charger/microwave etc. If you find some, buy buy buy.

Nick
Thanks for that Nick. Will make sure we get good supply before we leave. My TV is quite a few years old though so is it still worth it? I have a newish DVD (will bring that) and also a video (yes I know they are a thing of the past but I have loads of video's and it seems a shame to give them away) Will the video work in NZ. Sorry but I am not knowlegeable about things like this! Oh, one other thing......my other daughter emigrated to Aus over a year ago and she gave me this laptop before she left saying it wasn't worth taking!!!!! She had only brought it a year previous for about £800....is it worth taking with me to NZ? I will have to take it hand luggage I guess? Thanks in anticipation.....
Old Dec 7th 2006, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Until you get Sky, your TV will work hooked up with a NZ VCR.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Boopy
Until you get Sky, your TV will work hooked up with a NZ VCR.
English VCRs and TVs do not work directly in NZ !! As previously described, English TVs need to have a NZ VCR as a tuner . If you use a PAL I English TV (without a PAL G VCR) in NZ you will have picture but NO sound !!

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Dec 7th 2006 at 7:57 am.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Ha....why not move to Hawkes Bay as I hear it is better weather than Auckland. Be one of our first members or if things dont go to plan...the only one!!!! We did do a lot of research though and 'Women Only' gym is a thing of the future, plus we will be introducing exersise for children and 'Post Natal', so we must appeal to some of the population of the area.
There are "Women Only" gyms in Wellington - "Contours" - also have franchises in other parts of NZ
Old Dec 7th 2006, 8:34 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
There are "Women Only" gyms in Wellington - "Contours" - also have franchises in other parts of NZ

It appeals to my mind....as they say: the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. But if brain power has any effect, my goodness, I think a great workout!
Old Dec 7th 2006, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

orca05 will become famous soon enoughorca05 will become famous soon enough

Many Thanks....
Has taken me a while to use this site, always read what others write so you must forgive me if I do things wrong. Will let you know how things are going. Just a thought.......I am taking my furniture etc and the Shipping guy said it was ok to take electricals..you just change the plug! Is this right? Would be great as we can save a lot of money that way. What about TV, DVD...someone told us that it is not worth it as you need to have them adjusted or something. No idea what that means...does anyone know?
Bring everything with you Tv,Fridges,Washing machines,hoovers,microwaves as these things can be expensive here and the electrician is right you only have to change the plug.The TV might need re tuning but you can always watch Videos or DVDS on them anyway.Bring everything thats in good nick as you will regret it if you have to replace it here as sometimes the quality is not too good.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 6:12 pm
Too close to the sun

SirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by orca05
Bring everything with you Tv,Fridges,Washing machines,hoovers,microwaves as these things can be expensive here and the electrician is right you only have to change the plug.The TV might need re tuning but you can always watch Videos or DVDS on them anyway.Bring everything thats in good nick as you will regret it if you have to replace it here as sometimes the quality is not too good.
So whats the definitive answer on a new UK telly . will it work or not