Reload this Page >

We're New & Starting the Catch-22 Journey

We're New & Starting the Catch-22 Journey

Old May 27th 2013, 2:54 pm
Just Joined

Bellsandfluff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default We're New & Starting the Catch-22 Journey

Hello All
We are new to the forum and starting in the whole 'can't get a job without visa but can't get visa without job' situation, but we will keep at it and see how we progress over the months.

Sadly neither of our jobs are on the skills shortage list so I guess we are up against it as there should be people readily available if a role which would suit us comes up. I'm an HR Manager/Consultant and Fluff is Air Con Refrigeration Engineer & Sales.

We are off to the London expo in July and hope some face:face contact is a benefit.

Hopefully we'll pick up some good tips from you

Old May 27th 2013, 8:35 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We're New & Starting the Catch-22 Journey

Welcome Bellsandfluff

yes you will probably have an up hill struggle but there are other visa options than the skilled one. Have you checked out the Immigration website to see what visa you might be able to obtain?
Old May 28th 2013, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

Hello

We have been researching for some time and we do not have other options. We are too old for the working hols or temporary visas.
So I think we will have to be lucky to receive a job offer to support our Interest now.

B
Old May 30th 2013, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Bellesandfluff, welcome to BE
Know where you are at the moment, we were on that route for 3 years but finally managed a job offer, we arrived in NZ 2 days ago
It is emotionally hard but keep going as if it is meant to be then it will happen. Make sure if you get any interviews you fully understand what visa you can get and explain it to them. Most employers who do the interview don't understand and it scares them. Once you tell them how easy it is this may help. We got our WTR visa in 4 days and were out here in 6 weeks

check out our blog below to give you the encouragement to carry on

if I can be of any help just shout
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

We were in the same situation saw no way of making the move, so we took our chances with our 3 littlies in 2005, sold the house and possessions, booked flights and obtained our 6months visitors stamp in our passports on arrival...within 2 weeks i had a job offer with a company prepared to go through the roller with immigration, started a week later with a 2 year work permit to work at that company only, an open 2 year permit for my hubby & 3 student permits....within 3 months & lots of cash later we had our perminant residency. Employers take you much more seriously if you are here......Good luck.....
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

Hello and thank you Moonie2011 and Pixiewink for your comments, really lovely to hear from you.

Moonie2011 - 4 days sounds quick to get the visa, so I shall read your blog and swot up there. I have been reading about the long process it takes from the EOI to being selected from the pool to being invited to apply. I hope you're settling in nicely.

Pixiewink - also a great story and we remain very hopeful. We are going to see how the EOI goes and we have an Expo in July. But we are not adverse to the idea of getting out there and working hard to get jobs once there. I am speaking with agencies too about my CV and viability of getting a role over someone already in country. HR is no longer a skills shortage - I regret not going for it in 2007 when they were biting my arm off.

Thanks again guys and look forward to keeping in touch

Bells x
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

All good...from putting in our EOI and getting our stamp in our passports took only 3 weeks and that was delayed with xmas shut down....so keep positive...
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 10:02 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixiewink
All good...from putting in our EOI and getting our stamp in our passports took only 3 weeks and that was delayed with xmas shut down....so keep positive...
blinkin heck think that's the faster I've seen. husband's took just over 3mths, with xmas period, with him already working and transfer from UK to Wellington to get the stickers in the passports.
was your's done in NZ by and chance?