We're moving back to Blighty

We're moving back to Blighty

Old Sep 8th 2012, 12:18 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: We're moving back to Blighty

All the best of luck to you x
Old Sep 8th 2012, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Wishing you the very best of luck with preparing for the move back. I can absolutely understand your decision, like you we're happy in NZ, whilst accepting that the country has it's quirks & faults. But that pull back to family is a tough one, which, for me at least, seems to get stronger over time. Great that you've been able to make a decision that the whole family is happy with, & that you are all looking forward to returning to the UK. Living with the in-laws though! Eeek, that's a brave move!!
Looking forward to hearing more about the move back. Good luck with it all.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 8:36 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I should in fairness confess that it's only sort of living with the inlaws- we get our own almost self contained annex that is the size of a house and set in lots of acres of woodland and paddocks. Not that I think they're called paddocks- fields? Sounds like where you'd play cricket to me. Anyway, they're guaranteed to be annoying but at least I can close the door.

I expected the family pull to become more tolerable over time, to fade to background but the opposite has happened, particularly with the new additions.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

honeybunny2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I ask if you have been back to the UK in the 6 years you have lived here?
Old Sep 10th 2012, 11:46 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck BB Hope it all works out well for you. You can always change the locks if the inlaws get in the way too much
Old Sep 10th 2012, 7:59 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by honeybunny2011
Can I ask if you have been back to the UK in the 6 years you have lived here?
Yes, several times. Don't bother telling me it's gone to the dogs and all that. My balanced view is that both NZ and the UK have their positives and negatives and that I like both; for some things I much prefer NZ and for some I much prefer the UK.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 6:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry BB but I've only just seen this (had my head buried in text books recently). A very well-balanced post. The out-laws place sounds marvellous so you should settle in just fine. Family can be a very strong pull so I fully understand your reasons for heading back.

Best of British with it all. You may have said but when exactly do you go?
Old Sep 28th 2012, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Yes, several times. Don't bother telling me it's gone to the dogs and all that. My balanced view is that both NZ and the UK have their positives and negatives and that I like both; for some things I much prefer NZ and for some I much prefer the UK.
I'd like to back that up.

The UK isn't going to the dogs. I measure this on the fact that I genuinely can not remember the last time I woke up and wanted to stay in bed.

I suppose, for now, I can only speak for London, but I was reminded about the vibancy and beauty of this country over the past few weeks through cycling.

I did a 60 mile cycle 3 weekends (London to Andover, Hampshire) ago and a 100 mile cycle 2 weekends ago (A big loop around Buckinghamshire) - both were fantastic reminders of how wonderful our towns, villages and people can be
Old Sep 28th 2012, 11:37 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommychic
And how the heck do you know that our decision wasn't genuine and mutual? Not that its any of your business, but our decision to move back was based on a mutual pact that we made 6 years ago when we came to NZ that if either one of us was unhappy or unsettled, we would move back. We have a family network of support behind us and also, I might add, a happy and rock solid marriage.

I have also been overwhelmed at how supportive and positive people have been on this forum with regards to us making the move back..until now. What a negative and snide comment to make.
Whoah ! Where did that come from ? He was just remarking about people he knows. It wasn't aimed at you. I was/am open minded about life in NZ. We took the view that a couple can split up because of any number of things e.g. it can take things like a lost pregancy or the tragic death of a child or an affair or bankruptcy etc.

My point being: emigrate, don't emigrate. There's no guarantees of success in this life.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Sep 28th 2012 at 11:40 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 2:53 am
---

Significant hurdle number one completed: the man has been offered a decent job

Working on significant hurdle number two (selling house- in middle of massive decorate and spruce mission) non-stop at the moment, hence not online much at all.

Having plenty of "what the hell are we doing? " moments and lots of feeling sad and all out of sorts, but whenever I rationally think about it the facts--- we don't want to grow old here, we want to be more involved with family, we want the kids to know their roots, we feel we've 'done' the emigrating thing for now, we want to go home, we're about to sail past 'point of no return' thanks to the stopid 3yr rule for UK uni funding--- I come back to this is what we want & need to do, but it comes with various costs and large dollop of short term unpleasant upheaval.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 8:17 pm
---

PS is it just me or is Resene paint absolute crap?
Old Oct 26th 2012, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have a serious coffee addiction to break
Me too I missed NZ Coffee but our local Costa Coffee does a fair flat white!
Old Oct 26th 2012, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Well the worst thing about being back in Blighty is the inferior latte coffee tbh. I am drinking less as harder to find to my exacting standards.
The tea and scones are good here though.

Everything else (for me) is fine and dandy and I have had to locate to a different area of UK for OH's job, so am still a long way from relatives but of course nowhere near as far away and isolated as in NZ. Major plus is we are buying another house, so I am no longer in corporate rental. That unsettled feeling should go away from that factor alone.

Kids have gone into state sector schools and so far so good. You know this but just like you look at decile in NZ, you look at Ofsted reports and exam performance in UK, be willing to travel out of catchment area and you will probably find a school you are happy with somehow. If they have a space, they have to take you 'out of catchment'...rural areas tend to have good comps as the private schools are too far away for daily travel.

At least in the South you will get better UK weather than we will likely get on the whole but again it really isn't important to me. It's nice not having to constantly wear a sunhat because of those fierce rays and I also have felt very at ease knowing I have escaped earth tremors and I wasn't even in Christchurch.
Very best wishes with it all - I have stayed away from media really but people everywhere have been great. In 3 months have had one rude taxi driver and that's all that is negative to report. So I would say in my experience, it definitely isn't all Daily Fail 'gone to the dogs' but then I never thought it was anyway.
The historic architecture is to die for after NZ. I am still enjoying supermarkets immensely re the massive choice and low prices.
Sorry if this sounds smug and I am making people envious but I am trying to reassure Bourbon.

I'm beginning to wonder if all the regular posters on this forum will all eventually end up going back to UK....me, Shirl, that guy in Petone, Nelsonpom etc etc. I suppose after a while if people are truly happy, they stop posting anyway.

Despite being at opposite ends of UK, if it helps, I have seen more of my Mum and Dad in the last 3 months than in the whole of our time in NZ. They have already re-connected with their grandchildren and that makes me very happy
. Go Blighty!
I am still loving being back although hubby still has no job yet due to red tape and CSCS cards!!! That is another story though!

Just got back from visiting the inlaws in Mallorca yesterday and am now in bed with a kidney infection! Got in at 3pm rang the Doc and was down there for a consult by 4pm how is that for the national health!

Thought I would pop by and read what has been going on in this forum hence my posting. I have enjoyed being back immensely, especially family and choices in supermarkets and stuff and being able to pop across to the med when the fancy takes me. I always took choices for granted but am still in awe of how cheap things are, i.e. face wipes 1.45 UK - NZ over $7 on special! Tressemme shampoo and conditioner here on specials 2.00 or less NZ on Special $9.99. It is raining outside as I am typing this and I am snug and warm inside with the central heating and double glazing and great daytime TV for company! I for one am glad I did the emigrating thing but now I turn 60 next month I know I am in the best place to end my days and would not have changed a single experience for all the world. At least we did it and maybe if it wasn't for the whole shaking earth thing we might still be there but who knows. I am a believer in that you are where you are meant to be at any given moment in time and nothing is a coincidence! Hope you will be very happy all you deciding to make the move back to the UK. I am.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shirl
Me too I missed NZ Coffee but our local Costa Coffee does a fair flat white!
Agreed but only discovered this a couple of weeks ago and had been having Costa lattes and M&S lattes till now. Flat whites from now on even though I never even tried a flat white in NZ. Barista can still make a difference - some make the flat whites better than others as ever.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 10:40 pm
---

Significant hurdle number one completed: the man has been offered a decent job
I'm just repeating this cos it's major and he's done very well and we're both sleeping better at night for getting this all sorted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.