Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

we're here as well

we're here as well

Old Aug 28th 2009, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default we're here as well

:-)))

Isn't it strange that after all the stress of not getting a visa, then getting one at the 11th hour, that the immigration officer just stamps your visa with a work permit, in, like, 10 seconds Perhaps I'm rather jet lagged but it seemed ironic to me at the time

It's been a lovely day in Christchurch, Neil is now gently snoring and I am trying to stay awake to get straight as soon as possible - work starts on Tuesday, with several meetings!

My employers put food, flowers and wine in the rental apartment they arranged for us. I cannot imagine a UK employer (in my line of work) doing this, it was a such a lovely start to the rest of our lives.

Off to buy a mobile phone and test drive some cars tomorrow Got to get our priorities right

Jan
Old Aug 28th 2009, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

MooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: we're here as well

Glad you arrived safely too Jan
Old Aug 28th 2009, 7:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

A very warm welcome to New Zealand guys.

Your new life awaits. I hope it is all good.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 8:32 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Pleased you have arrived safely & "together"

How lovely of your employer, no cant imagine that here!

Enjoy your lovely new life in NZ

Dewb xx
Old Aug 28th 2009, 8:41 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil

Isn't it strange that after all the stress of not getting a visa, then getting one at the 11th hour, that the immigration officer just stamps your visa with a work permit, in, like, 10 seconds Perhaps I'm rather jet lagged but it seemed ironic to me at the time

It's been a lovely day in Christchurch, Neil is now gently snoring and I am trying to stay awake to get straight as soon as possible - work starts on Tuesday, with several meetings!

My employers put food, flowers and wine in the rental apartment they arranged for us. I cannot imagine a UK employer (in my line of work) doing this, it was a such a lovely start to the rest of our lives.

Off to buy a mobile phone and test drive some cars tomorrow Got to get our priorities right

Jan
Great news Jan ....so glad you are able to share the start of NZ life together!!
Have fun test driving cars! hope work goes ok on Tues
enjoy!! B x
Old Aug 28th 2009, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Tomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond reputeTomsk has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to NZ
I hope that you both have a great life over here.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light

Jan
Fantastic Jan!
Have a wonderful life in NZ!
hope it all goes nice n rosy for you both!
xx Berni xx
Old Aug 28th 2009, 9:26 am
Just Joined

sary is an unknown quantity at this point

Brilliant. Congratulations on arriving all together and having some fun too. Bon courage with your job too.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

shaikav is just really niceshaikav is just really niceshaikav is just really niceshaikav is just really niceshaikav is just really niceshaikav is just really niceshaikav is just really niceshaikav is just really nice

Originally Posted by MnB
Great news Jan ....so glad you are able to share the start of NZ life together!!
Have fun test driving cars! hope work goes ok on Tues
enjoy!! B x
good luck.
we too we hope to move to nz soon. but application is still being processed
Old Aug 28th 2009, 8:51 pm
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Re: we're here as well

Originally Posted by shaikav
good luck.
we too we hope to move to nz soon. but application is still being processed
Hey, lovely to hear from you. Glad you got there safe, how was the journey??

Good luck for the job starting, keep us posted and all the best, enjoy your new life

Tina. x
Old Aug 28th 2009, 9:05 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome and good luck for work and the future.
Old Aug 28th 2009, 9:56 pm
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Bienvenus en Nouvelle Zelande!!

Glad you guys arrived safely.... Enjoy the weather!!
Old Aug 29th 2009, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Bonjour

Settled in jet lag not to bad treated ourselves to business class, thought we would arrive to our new home with a bit of comfort. Bought a car, done our first big shop, just got to rent a place that will take dogs now

I really like this place a lot

Neil
Old Aug 29th 2009, 9:23 am
Just Joined

kjames is just really nicekjames is just really nicekjames is just really nicekjames is just really nicekjames is just really nicekjames is just really nicekjames is just really nicekjames is just really nice

Bonjour

Settled in jet lag not to bad treated ourselves to business class, thought we would arrive to our new home with a bit of comfort. Bought a car, done our first big shop, just got to rent a place that will take dogs now

I really like this place a lot

Neil
sounds like its all falling into place... you guys arent hanging around.

How did the motorbike packing go? I'll be interested to know how you get on with importing it.

Karl
Old Aug 29th 2009, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kjames
sounds like its all falling into place... you guys arent hanging around.

How did the motorbike packing go? I'll be interested to know how you get on with importing it.

Karl
thoroughly cleaned top to bottom, took rear mudguard off to get at swinging arm, swept it with Jeyes, John Mason built a lovely little crate for it, I provided importers Crown with copies of log book and proof of purchase in 2005, will wait and see what MAF think.

Plus I left the full Yoshi system on after talking to someone here who has straight through slash pipes and his gets through the wof OK: if it fails I have the original system to change it back anyway.....

A problem with importing vehicles is that if they are very new or you have owned them for a short time, Customs may charge you up to 12.5% GST. With a 4 yr old bike and proof of purchase in 2005 this will not happen, though I will have to sign an undertaking not to sell it for about 18 months. But I don't want to

Jan