British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   we're here as well (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/were-here-well-627974/)

Jan n Neil Aug 28th 2009 7:11 am

we're here as well

:-)))

Isn't it strange that after all the stress of not getting a visa, then getting one at the 11th hour, that the immigration officer just stamps your visa with a work permit, in, like, 10 seconds :rofl: Perhaps I'm rather jet lagged but it seemed ironic to me at the time :rofl:

It's been a lovely day in Christchurch, Neil is now gently snoring and I am trying to stay awake to get straight as soon as possible - work starts on Tuesday, with several meetings!

My employers put food, flowers and wine in the rental apartment they arranged for us. I cannot imagine a UK employer (in my line of work) doing this, it was a such a lovely start to the rest of our lives.

Off to buy a mobile phone and test drive some cars tomorrow :thumbsup: Got to get our priorities right :rofl:

Jan

MooMoo290373 Aug 28th 2009 7:39 am

Re: we're here as well

Glad you arrived safely too Jan :thumbsup:

BEVS Aug 28th 2009 7:52 am

A very warm welcome to New Zealand guys.

Your new life awaits. I hope it is all good.

Dewb09 Aug 28th 2009 8:32 am

Pleased you have arrived safely & "together"

How lovely of your employer, no cant imagine that here!

Enjoy your lovely new life in NZ

Dewb xx

MnB Aug 28th 2009 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 7882644)

Isn't it strange that after all the stress of not getting a visa, then getting one at the 11th hour, that the immigration officer just stamps your visa with a work permit, in, like, 10 seconds :rofl: Perhaps I'm rather jet lagged but it seemed ironic to me at the time :rofl:

It's been a lovely day in Christchurch, Neil is now gently snoring and I am trying to stay awake to get straight as soon as possible - work starts on Tuesday, with several meetings!

My employers put food, flowers and wine in the rental apartment they arranged for us. I cannot imagine a UK employer (in my line of work) doing this, it was a such a lovely start to the rest of our lives.

Off to buy a mobile phone and test drive some cars tomorrow :thumbsup: Got to get our priorities right :rofl:

Jan

:thumbsup: Great news Jan ....so glad you are able to share the start of NZ life together!!
Have fun test driving cars! hope work goes ok on Tues:fingerscrossed:
enjoy!! B x

Tomsk Aug 28th 2009 8:55 am

Welcome to NZ :thumbup:
I hope that you both have a great life over here.

127luton Aug 28th 2009 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 7882644)

Jan

Fantastic Jan!
Have a wonderful life in NZ!
hope it all goes nice n rosy for you both!
xx Berni xx:thumbup:

sary Aug 28th 2009 9:26 am

Brilliant. Congratulations on arriving all together and having some fun too. Bon courage with your job too. :thumbsup:

shaikav Aug 28th 2009 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by MnB (Post 7882831)
:thumbsup: Great news Jan ....so glad you are able to share the start of NZ life together!!
Have fun test driving cars! hope work goes ok on Tues:fingerscrossed:
enjoy!! B x

good luck.
we too we hope to move to nz soon. but application is still being processed

willand tina_h Aug 28th 2009 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by shaikav (Post 7884270)
good luck.
we too we hope to move to nz soon. but application is still being processed

Hey, lovely to hear from you. Glad you got there safe, how was the journey??

Good luck for the job starting, keep us posted and all the best, enjoy your new life :wub::wub::wub:

Tina. x

Am Loolah Aug 28th 2009 9:05 pm

Welcome and good luck for work and the future.:thumbsup:

Matewx Aug 28th 2009 9:56 pm

Bienvenus en Nouvelle Zelande!!

Glad you guys arrived safely.... Enjoy the weather!!

Jan n Neil Aug 29th 2009 3:44 am

Bonjour :blink:

Settled in jet lag not to bad treated ourselves to business class, thought we would arrive to our new home with a bit of comfort. Bought a car, done our first big shop, just got to rent a place that will take dogs now :thumbsup:

I really like this place a lot

Neil

kjames Aug 29th 2009 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 7885571)
Bonjour :blink:

Settled in jet lag not to bad treated ourselves to business class, thought we would arrive to our new home with a bit of comfort. Bought a car, done our first big shop, just got to rent a place that will take dogs now :thumbsup:

I really like this place a lot

Neil

sounds like its all falling into place... you guys arent hanging around.

How did the motorbike packing go? I'll be interested to know how you get on with importing it.

Karl

Jan n Neil Aug 29th 2009 10:27 am

Originally Posted by kjames (Post 7886095)
sounds like its all falling into place... you guys arent hanging around.

How did the motorbike packing go? I'll be interested to know how you get on with importing it.

Karl

thoroughly cleaned top to bottom, took rear mudguard off to get at swinging arm, swept it with Jeyes, John Mason built a lovely little crate for it, I provided importers Crown with copies of log book and proof of purchase in 2005, will wait and see what MAF think.

Plus I left the full Yoshi system on after talking to someone here who has straight through slash pipes and his gets through the wof OK: if it fails I have the original system to change it back anyway.....

A problem with importing vehicles is that if they are very new or you have owned them for a short time, Customs may charge you up to 12.5% GST. With a 4 yr old bike and proof of purchase in 2005 this will not happen, though I will have to sign an undertaking not to sell it for about 18 months. But I don't want to :rofl:

Jan