British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   We're going home (UK) for a visit later this year (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/were-going-home-uk-visit-later-year-745820/)

barnsleymat Jan 22nd 2012 8:39 am

We're going home (UK) for a visit later this year

Have any of you any tips for getting a good deal on flights?

I've previously booked with Travel Centre in the UK but I know they don't use all the airlines. I heard you can get cheap flights to Singapore, I remember seeing the big billboard as you drive to AKL airport. Is this an option?

Can flying onto Aus then getting a flight from their to the UK work out cheaper?

ellenl Jan 22nd 2012 8:52 am

Re: We're going home (UK) for a visit later this year

Hi
Its usually better to go with one carrier all the way and back - if there are any problems with one flight (late) then the other will be covered.
I dont think that its better to fly to Aus then to UK (price wise)
Book yoursleves on line - most of them fly through a main city then onwards which gives you the option to have a stay over one night.
Hope this helps!

barnsleymat Jan 22nd 2012 9:10 am

Good advice cheers

*I've put Travel Centre in my first post, I meant Flight Centre.

Justcol Jan 22nd 2012 7:04 pm

expedia usually have the best deals give or take a few bucks

How do you book with the uk flight center, they dont give much info out when you try to look on line

Tom1983 Jan 22nd 2012 9:16 pm

Something to consider when going home is flying to Manchester or Birmingham. Emirates and Singapore fly to these airports and they're a lot cheaper in taxes than flying into London

Spacecake799 Jan 22nd 2012 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 9857598)

I've previously booked with Travel Centre in the UK but I know they don't use all the airlines. I heard you can get cheap flights to Singapore, I remember seeing the big billboard as you drive to AKL airport. Is this an option?

Can flying onto Aus then getting a flight from their to the UK work out cheaper?

Do a search in the UK for round the world tickets, some wont do it as your in NZ but a couple of them will. Works out quite a bit cheaper.

Carole

BEVS Jan 22nd 2012 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Spacecake799 (Post 9858469)
Do a search in the UK for round the world tickets, some wont do it as your in NZ but a couple of them will. Works out quite a bit cheaper.

Carole

Which ones please? Could be very useful.

We've usuallly ended up booking with Emirates on-line into Birmingham as nothing has compared for price and convenience.

shelloid Jan 23rd 2012 1:53 am

just posting in here to keep up to date with people recommendations, as I think I'll be forced to do a trip soon as it's nearly 2 years since I've seen my family now.

barnsleymat Jan 23rd 2012 2:06 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 9858240)
expedia usually have the best deals give or take a few bucks

How do you book with the uk flight center, they dont give much info out when you try to look on line

On my two return trips from the UK to NZ and finally my one way trip here to NZ I've always emailed them then finished the booking off on the phone, I think I dealt with the Leeds branch. Very helpful I must say.

I'm interested to find more out about the possibility of a Round the World ticket booked in the UK, my mother has offered to pay for my flight and having her pay in NZ Dollars with the exchange rate is a bit cheeky. I'm not overly bothered about going back to be honest, it's a bloody fortune booking flights in NZ (like everything else) and I'm here to get away from it all. I'll just be getting drunk for 2 weeks with all my old pals.

Spacecake799 Jan 23rd 2012 3:05 am

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 9858746)
On my two return trips from the UK to NZ and finally my one way trip here to NZ I've always emailed them then finished the booking off on the phone, I think I dealt with the Leeds branch. Very helpful I must say.

I'm interested to find more out about the possibility of a Round the World ticket booked in the UK, my mother has offered to pay for my flight and having her pay in NZ Dollars with the exchange rate is a bit cheeky. I'm not overly bothered about going back to be honest, it's a bloody fortune booking flights in NZ (like everything else) and I'm here to get away from it all. I'll just be getting drunk for 2 weeks with all my old pals.

Hi,

These were who replied to me and would do a ticket.

[email protected]

Sorry can't find the others

Carole

BEVS Jan 25th 2012 10:04 am

Brill Carole. Thank you so much.:)

Justcol Jan 25th 2012 8:29 pm

Looked at the round the world stuff and its pretty expensive.
Best i can find for my may trip is $2415. Auck to Manchester then Rome to Auck

Trish M Jan 25th 2012 8:49 pm

Flight Centre are having a flash sale tomorrow UK time 10.00am. The first 100 flights to Australia are £549 return (London airport I think). I don't know if you'd be able to tweak the flights around but I suppose it's worth a try. You can't book online, it must be by telephone 0844 number.

vicci Jan 25th 2012 9:02 pm

Hi we are going home to the UK too, we shall go to the flight show at ASB show grounds on the 11th / 12th Feb they will have good deals there. We book with Korean they are one of the cheapest that we have found and think they are very good. We shall book a one way ticket and then buy a return from the UK as it works out cheaper. Message me if you need any more info.:)

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 9857598)

faye_h Jan 27th 2012 3:04 am

Flight Centre will guarantee to beat any flight price and if they can't they will book you on the flight and knock $1 off. When they do that they also give you a $50 voucher for each person travelling which you can use on another flight, accomodation or travel insurance.

Best thing to do is find a flight online, print out the details and take it in. That's what we did when we went home at Xmas and then used the $50 vouchers to pay for some of our travel insurance! :D

We found the cheapest flights with Lufthansa on their website. They are part of Star Alliance so flew Air NZ to San Fran and then Lufthansa to Frankfurt with a very quick stop then onto London. Was around $1,000 cheaper than the next option :eek: