Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

We're in bit of a quandry

We're in bit of a quandry

Old Apr 9th 2006, 9:14 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default We're in bit of a quandry

We have 140 points currently based on qualifications and work experience in a skill shortage area.

We would like some savings behind us before we even think about leaving this country, sell the house, blah blah... and we would like a job offer so we can go straight into work.

A job offer would boost our points even further making us even more desirable LOL.

To save up the money we would (at least 20k), and to wind down the business this end, we would need at least 12 months.

So, would it be a bit premature to submit our EOI now do you think (or is the answer glaringly obvious?!). I wondered how long an accepted EOI/residency offer is valid for?

I keep worrying that the points threshold might go up even more, and that if i leave it too long i am going to talk myself out of this. really worrying about the wages and making ends meet.

sorry for going on.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

brackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud of
Default Re: We're in bit of a quandry

if you apply now it will take a minimum of about 4 months to get your pr through, then you can stall having the visas stamped in your passport for 6 months, once they have been stamped in, then you have a year to get into the country
Old Apr 10th 2006, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brackley
if you apply now it will take a minimum of about 4 months to get your pr through, then you can stall having the visas stamped in your passport for 6 months, once they have been stamped in, then you have a year to get into the country
and remember thats a year just to enter the country - you get a residents returning visa at the same time that is valid for 2 years, so you could come over on a job hunt, activate your residency and then still not emigrate for up to 2 years after that, so I would go for it - its one box ticked!
Vicki
Old Apr 10th 2006, 8:52 pm

fantastic thank you - i feel quite reassured now. just waiting on some bits and bobs, and i have to hunt down my birth certificate. Hope to get the EOI submitted next week!!! Cheers, Kate.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 1:45 am
Account Closed

cherry will become famous soon enoughcherry will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dreamfish
fantastic thank you - i feel quite reassured now. just waiting on some bits and bobs, and i have to hunt down my birth certificate. Hope to get the EOI submitted next week!!! Cheers, Kate.

Dont be put off if your EOI is passed then after paying for it you are told that your points are lowered as happened to us .We just put our qualifications forward to the NZQA for a pre assesment and got our points back .I think it is a money making system to get you to pay for your admission to NZ.I am paying it all as I want to get there soon ,dont be put off you will make it if you are deterrmined .We have worked it out that it will cost around £1200 to get all the visas and work permits.If you use an agency it will more than double .
Old Apr 11th 2006, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by cherry

Dont be put off if your EOI is passed then after paying for it you are told that your points are lowered as happened to us .We just put our qualifications forward to the NZQA for a pre assesment and got our points back .I think it is a money making system to get you to pay for your admission to NZ.I am paying it all as I want to get there soon ,dont be put off you will make it if you are deterrmined .We have worked it out that it will cost around £1200 to get all the visas and work permits.If you use an agency it will more than double .
No way? why would you have to have the qualifications rechecked? They really do that? That stinks. Ours appeared on the list anyways, with majors in ICT... from universities on their list. So there should be no reason to do that surely?

Well we wont even consider going without a firm job offer, so without the qualifications a job offer will still keep the EOI at an acceptable number of points.

Ooooooo, just you let them try I'll have something to say about that LMAO!!!